Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Adventure Help] Railroad plot in Denver with Agents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: [Adventure Help] Railroad plot in Denver with Agents Reply with quote

In my Tabletop Forge game, the posse is making their way to Salt Lake City and will be reaching Denver. I want to get them wrapped up in a railroad conspiracy type game by having them help a muckraker attempting to expose something about Wasatch Rails. I should mention the posse is 4 characters at 5 XP.

The elements I want to use are:

The Harrowed muckracker from Book of the Dead (from Deadlands Classic) background story that she was snooping around and (Hellstromme X-squad maybe) killed her for her trouble. Now she wants her revenge, Journalistically (and many just a little bit of blood). I would like her to be the posses introduction to Harrowed and a possible catwoman-like character helping them sometimes, being against them other times.

I want to get The Agency involved because on of the players want his character to join when meets the requirements. The posse digs more intrigue and mystery than a straight up fight.

I want the game to be more Wild, Wild West TV show. Little supernatural stuffin this adventure, but no problem with a little weird science. But I don't want to have to reach into the Hellstromme's latest secret invention bag just yet.

The game might spend a little bit of time in Salt Lake City, so I want to paint Hellstromme and Wasatch as bad guys to the posse. I wouldn't mind using Denver Pacific to give the Mad Scientist an in with S&R either. But any Rail line while be useful to teach them about the Grea Rail War as they might head on into the Flood Plot point.

So, any ideas for a rail war conspiracy with a Harrowed Muckraker ally bent on revenge, a couple of shadowy US Agents and in the Pearl of the West: Denver? I just can't think of any good adventures that link that stuff, but I know there is a good one in there somewhere.
cloudshaper2k
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thought: Don't sic them directly on Wasatch at the beginning. The muckraker is investigating Union Blue - which is being framed by Wasatch.
MrDNA
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old Black Circle book has a lot of railroad conspiracy in there that you could crib from liberally if you're able to find it somewhere. You could also look up Hellstromme's Hellbore and perhaps build a conspiracy around that.

As for getting the Agency involved, I'm sure they're all over Hellstromme, anyway. Maybe make the player who wants to join the agency have to prove himself on this mission for them.
RJack
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question: What year is your game set in? It sounds like you're pre-Flood, so Hellstromme hasn't completed his underground railroad, yes?

I ask because City o' Gloom contained a relatively mundane conspiracy between Hellstromme and Brigam Young to devalue the Denver-Pacific (never followed up on, to my knowledge, in the Reloaded timeline, and somewhat rendered moot by the Plutonian Express). You could use that, tie in the reporter's murder, maybe add the Danites, some Union Blue interests to draw in the Agency, and serve.
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJack wrote:
Quick question: What year is your game set in? It sounds like you're pre-Flood, so Hellstromme hasn't completed his underground railroad, yes?

I ask because City o' Gloom contained a relatively mundane conspiracy between Hellstromme and Brigam Young to devalue the Denver-Pacific (never followed up on, to my knowledge, in the Reloaded timeline, and somewhat rendered moot by the Plutonian Express). You could use that, tie in the reporter's murder, maybe add the Danites, some Union Blue interests to draw in the Agency, and serve.

My game takes place in 1879. I offered the players the The Flood plot point if they head to California, but we are still feeling out what we want from the game.

The Story So Far

I like the Denver-Pacific devalue idea as something intriguing but ultimately rather mundane. Plus, without the evidence, it won't gain any traction from anyone. I'm thinking maybe the muckraker sneaked into the Wasatch Devner office (or neat adventure area for this idea near Denver), took a photo with her epitaph camera of this incriminating evidence (the camera malfunctioned but she doesn't know that). While almost being caught, she hid stashing the camera within the office. The Hellstromme guards caught her hiding but not the camera. They took her to a nice safe distance from the city to dispose of her. That would have been the end of the story, but she came back.

The Setup

Now she's looking for some fall guys to get back in and reclaim the camera. Enter the PCs, she claims to have information about the gang one of them is looking for (the ex-law dog trail has since gone cold). I'm sure that will be enough to hook them.

The Posse and the Muckraker wait a couple of nights for the new moon to give them the best opportunity. At the same time a couple of Agents are going to attempt to infiltrate (it is a good night for breaking in). I figure the Agents can be looking for the Hellbore macGuffin, while the players are looking for the camera MacGuffin.

When the Muckraker gets the camera back she uses her Harrowed powers to get away leaving the Posse to fend for themselves back out. I'm thinking if they don't mess up and sound the alarm, the Agents do. The Agents reckoning the Posse from their adventure to take a dead Sioux up to Boot Hill in Kansas Boomtoon (a direct rip-off from Magnificent Seven). The Agents not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth ask if the Posse want to team up.

Action ensues as the Posse and the Agents fight the X-Squad (or maybe an X-Squad Wild Card and regular guards) housed there and (hopefully) escape. Since they helped out the Agents and didn't know anything about the Hellbore (or maybe that they were even Agents) they aren't silenced afterward. But are watched for recruitment. Because it was dark and Denver, Wasatch has no idea who was behind the break in. They will probably blame one of the other rail lines.

When they get back to the Hotel they were staying to get their things they find a letter from the Muckraker. She hoped they made out to read and apologizes for the setup, but she gives them the information they want. She hopes their were no hard feelings.

It still has a couple of rough parts, but I think it is a decent enough idea. Anyone else like it or have ideas?
RJack
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could include some reference to Ghost Rock bombs when the posse is infiltrating the Wasatch office. Maybe a scribbled note, or a partial blueprint on the wall. That way, if you run the Flood, you have a little reference from earlier in the campaign.
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJack wrote:
You could include some reference to Ghost Rock bombs when the posse is infiltrating the Wasatch office. Maybe a scribbled note, or a partial blueprint on the wall. That way, if you run the Flood, you have a little reference from earlier in the campaign.

Nice, I haven't read any of The Flood in hopes of being a player in myself someday. I never ran any games in California and I only know some of the major Spoilers for the area.

Just learned about the Ghostrock bombs from this post. Well, technically I learned about their existence in Under A Harrowed Moon the White Wolf Werewolf crossover. My last Deadlands game ended with the posse being incinerated in the blast that linked Deadlands to World of Darkness. The ending was telling the players that the evil from their world spread to the World of Darkness dooming both. The player that caused the explosion, yes CAUSED, couldn't have been happier with himself. That was to be the end of the game anyway, but I agreed that if we played Hell on Earth, the players could used their characters in that one.
RJack
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! I assumed from your OP that you had already read the Flood. Sorry about the spoiler.

The very first game of Deadlands I ever played (actually a Hell on Earth game) our entire posse got wiped out by a ghost rock bomb. Good times, good times.
Marshalonwheels
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agents are tricky
they have 3 levels of pre agent status troubleshooters
level 1 "no nothing" types
level 2 has handled supernatural stuff before
level 3 proven reliable level 2's/ potential agent

my Advice don't hit them with an agent until they are one.

example from my game
Denver is messy. it's policed by the Denver City Police [idiots] but there's a handful of Federal Marshals[who are busy reb hunting/doing the polices job for them] reb spies, maybe a low key Texas Ranger or 2. that's not including the Agent SRF and Star Chamber, UB HQ or S&R site

now then they met a former Pink named Sly Joe who was working as a rail detective for UB [troubleshooter class 2] via a counterfeiter named Maxine [troubleshooter class 1] he pulled some strings to get her out of jail. for the entire mini campaign in Denver they had this guy pegged as an agent. they moved on and 4 months later got a letter from a lawyer telling the players that Joe had died. as the game progressed they found out that the actual agent was the police Sergeant that they thought was a fool since day one
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@RJack

No problem, I will likely be the Marshal for it eventually, but I'm still trying to hold out until the last moment.

@Marshalonwheels

I still would like the Agents there, but I think I will try conceal their identity. I'm typically not a slow reveal kind of GM. My last Deadlands game began with all the players being Harrowed, 2nd game they fought an entire ghostly platoon of Union cavalrymen (which was the 3rd creation of ghost town, the regular kind, by their hand). They succeeded in stopping a plot to destroy all of Salt Lake City and maybe the rest of the USA and CSA in game 3. They also failed to stop the formation of a Deadland, fought a 4000 year old Nosferatu in his lair, were the first to have a Harrowed to return to life, encountered the physical manifestation of an elder god, jumped (stepped sideways) to another dimension, and were killed in the first nuclear ghost rock bomb starting Hell on Earth and Hell on World of Darkness some 200 years early. Yeah, I'm like that.

I'm going to try to be a little more subtle than that this time, though. I like the idea that Denver PD aren't the sharpest bowie knives. I was thinking that Denver is hotbed for spying with many of the rail lines having a hub there. I'm not that up to speed with the Agency though (I mostly know the Pinkertons). I got the basics from the Reload books. The rest I'm just going to go Wild, Wild West for structure with Nevada Smith as Jim West and The Ghost and Pres Grant. I also like the idea of Pinkertons being mistaken as Agents.

I recently read about Hellstromme's Roundhouses, I think I want to place the adventure near one of those. Maybe a Wasatch Compound by one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: