Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Convertint Classic Powers/Edges to Reloaded

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrSethward
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Convertint Classic Powers/Edges to Reloaded Reply with quote

First and foremost, if this has been covered elsewhere, I apologize and have searched for it, but was not able to find my answer. If it's the case (which I imagine is quite likely), let me know immediately, and I will just follow your link haha.

If not, though, here is what I am trying. I am looking to convert Miracles/Hexes/etc. from Deadlands Classic to Reloaded, as well as Edges and maybe even Gifts or other random things. Basically, powers/edges that I feel don't have any similar options up to this point in any of the Reloaded books. Now, there are many issues with this of course, so I'm just looking for suggestions on how to do it. I'm interested in possibly creating more noticeable differences between the Arcane Backgrounds.

For example:

Maybe change the system so Hucksters only Deal with the Devil, and replace some of their available Power Point edges with some Classic ones?

Take away the Blessed's ability to cast all available Miracles, but add in plenty of Classic Miracles and Gifts.

I am well aware I probably going to break balancing issues here, and at this point should just play Deadlands classic. However, I enjoy the Savage Worlds system and the simplified Fatigue compared with Wind, the faster combat, etc. I am just looking to add more obvious flavor difference between the Arcane Backgrounds. So if you think it can't/shouldn't be done, by all means let me know, but I hope I hear back at least some positive response or ideas! Wink Thanks a lot guys!
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are only a few pieces of Classic flavor that are not in Reloaded, and all of them sucked (Shamans can't use spells in combat without a guardian spirit; Blessed can only do one or two very limited things, like smiting a club but not bullets, laying on hands, and trying to keep a monster at bay instead of simply taking it's head off; Martial Artists are incredibly cool and incredibly weak compared to anything else arcane; etc.).

Requiring Hucksters to Deal With the Devil is a common choice by people that either dislike power points or really miss that old Huckster mojo. What's interesting is that Huckster players looking to min/max also love Dealing with the Devil - getting to draw a quarter of the deck (13 or 14 cards, depending upon your state of unlife) for each casting gives you a really good chance to get an automatic raise on the power, especially when the Red Joker doesn't hurt you.

The Blessed are barely powerful - they are powerful, but the multitude of Reloaded restrictions make them a "righteous fist" with fragile bones. Which is a much more fun restriction than their classic cousins - a "righteous fist" that has to learn how to bend each and every one of its finger joints.

Now, if you're still looking to do conversions (and I'm sure you are; no one seems to be persuaded by my first post), check out this.
SteelDraco
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I've considered is that I miss the use of fate chips as resources, like the old Guardian Spirit abilities that let you do something extra by spending the appropriate chips. I've considered re-implementing these as Edges.

I've also thought about doing something similar with Miracles. I'm not a huge fan of the No Power Points rules - I don't like how it limits the duration of Miracles, and I think it's a hassle for Blessed to constantly look through their powers to find the right one. I've considered going back to something like Hucksters, except instead of dealing with the devil, they can spend Fate chips to temporarily gain access to other Powers from the list, with the chip type spent determining what level of Miracle they get - a white gets you a Novice power of your choice for a little while, a red gets a Seasoned power, and so on.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelDraco wrote:
I've considered re-implementing these as Edges.

Okay, but most of those would just be an existing Power or edge anyway. Take a look at the Knack edge for some mechanical guidance on the handful of things that don't already exist.

SteelDraco wrote:
I don't like how it limits the duration of Miracles, and I think it's a hassle for Blessed to constantly look through their powers to find the right one.

The duration is fixed (base or double base) unless the Marshal deems the use to be especially pleasing to the Good Guys; in which case the duration is whatever the Marshal says it is.
People who look at playing Blessed take one of two approaches: ideally, they take a very character- and role playing-centric view that focuses on the minimum divine intervention necessary to do the job. Alternately, they try to use the blessing of <whoever> to super-maximize their character efficiency - the sins of Pride, Greed, Gluttony, and Envy / Lust; they want infinite durations and to repeatedly cast for maximum benefits.
For that second group, there are the penalties innate to the AB. But, there is also the Marshal standing by to smack them with the Sinnin' table when they've tried to abuse their blessings.

Quote:
a white gets you a Novice power of your choice for a little while, a red gets a Seasoned power, and so on.

A Legend is required for the Veteran powers. ... That's excessive and expensive. #1eek13
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
Quote:
a white gets you a Novice power of your choice for a little while, a red gets a Seasoned power, and so on.

A Legend is required for the Veteran powers. ... That's excessive and expensive. #1eek13

Veteran would be blue. #1eek13
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting Duck wrote:
ValhallaGH wrote:
Quote:

Right. I was thinking of Heroic. Sigh Since there are no heroic powers, forget that.

Still, having to spend a Blue to get the chance to fail at casting Greater Healing sounds like a terrible deal.
SteelDraco
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
Sitting Duck wrote:
ValhallaGH wrote:
Quote:

Right. I was thinking of Heroic. Sigh Since there are no heroic powers, forget that.

Still, having to spend a Blue to get the chance to fail at casting Greater Healing sounds like a terrible deal.

Well, it would be closer to "spend a blue chip to get a Veteran-level Edge for a scene". They'd be able to pick up the New Power Edge like a normal AB user if I ever actually implement this thought; the "chip for power' thing would be a way of allowing them temporary access to a power, a way of mechanically representing divine aid. Think of it similarly to the Gadgeteer Edge for a faith-based AB, except instead of taking an hour to get something ready, it costs chips.

I'm not a huge fan of giving the Blessed all their power list all the time when everyone else is pretty limited in what they can do. Too much GM fiat (either positively or negatively) in how a Blessed works bugs me. There's a lot of that built into the AB as it stands.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelDraco wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of giving the Blessed all their power list all the time when everyone else is pretty limited in what they can do. Too much GM fiat (either positively or negatively) in how a Blessed works bugs me. There's a lot of that built into the AB as it stands.

A) Having played a blessed, as well as run a campaign including a Voodooist, I can tell you from play experience that they are pretty limited. The Huckster, Shaman, and Martial Artist show them up the 90% of the time that their known powers are applicable. The only time a Blessed shines is when no one else can do the quirky thing that their power list covers and that applies in this obscure situation.
Edit: I realize that your experiences may be different, but with the three major mechanical limitations (Fatigue for failure to cast, lost Faith on a 1, and Sins), the benefits of the Blessed are well in check. I've yet to see any other arcane character feel out-done by a Blessed. I have had arcane characters (even the Huckster with Blast and Bolt) feel out-done by the Ranger with d10 Shooting, Improved Trademark Weapon, Improved Hip Shooting, and Right Hand of the Devil.

B) The only GM fiat is "is that a sin" and "do I give them a bonus / penalty". That's been true since Deadlands first got published in the 1990's, and nothing you've proposed changes that.

If it's just the flavor text that bothers you then a) try thinking of it as an Intervention or b) change it because of your personal tastes - don't justify it with anything else (because anything else can be argued); taste is taste and things can be adjusted to fit your tastes.
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
A) Having played a blessed, as well as run a campaign including a Voodooist, I can tell you from play experience that they are pretty limited. The Huckster, Shaman, and Martial Artist show them up the 90% of the time that their known powers are applicable. The only time a Blessed shines is when no one else can do the quirky thing that their power list covers and that applies in this obscure situation.

Edit: I realize that your experiences may be different, but with the three major mechanical limitations (Fatigue for failure to cast, lost Faith on a 1, and Sins), the benefits of the Blessed are well in check. I've yet to see any other arcane character feel out-done by a Blessed. I have had arcane characters (even the Huckster with Blast and Bolt) feel out-done by the Ranger with d10 Shooting, Improved Trademark Weapon, Improved Hip Shooting, and Right Hand of the Devil.

For what it's worth, it really depends on how you're comparing them. It sounds like you're looking at combat potential, in which case heck yeah Blessed are outclassed by every other AB as they have no access to offensive powers (although Stun is rather useful). If you look at them as team players and utility, then in the right hands they outclass everyone else.

But as you said, everyone's experiences may be different.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
People who look at playing Blessed take one of two approaches: ideally, they take a very character- and role playing-centric view that focuses on the minimum divine intervention necessary to do the job. Alternately, they try to use the blessing of <whoever> to super-maximize their character efficiency - the sins of Pride, Greed, Gluttony, and Envy / Lust; they want infinite durations and to repeatedly cast for maximum benefits.
For that second group, there are the penalties innate to the AB. But, there is also the Marshal standing by to smack them with the Sinnin' table when they've tried to abuse their blessings.

This is exactly what I found as well. I should mention the latter case where the player never quite understood the concept behind blessed ruined a perfectly good game with a long argument when it happened. Some people just can't be convinced that decapitating a man and placing that head on a spear as a warning to others just ain't what the powers that be had in mind for their blessed. Talk about the sin of wrath.

ValhallaGH wrote:
I have had arcane characters (even the Huckster with Blast and Bolt) feel out-done by the Ranger with d10 Shooting, Improved Trademark Weapon, Improved Hip Shooting, and Right Hand of the Devil.

I found this to also be the case with a gunslinger just with Hip Shooting and Quick Reload and a willingness to spend a lot of bullets.
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have covered most of the hexes in Huckster's & Hexes into powers for Dealands Reloaded. I even converted the tricks over as 0 Power Point powers. Where I could, I tried to link the Hex to an existing power with some slight changes to mechanics.

Example:
Black Lightning (Bolt)
The Caster spends 1PP per d6 up to 6d6 creating a ball of dark energy. Using their Throwing skill the caster can toss as little (1d6) or as much energy (6d6) in an attack. If the caster is soaked with water or the Black Lightning is otherwise discharged the Huckster takes all remain damage held. The power ends when all the Black Lighting is used up.

Some of the Powers like Mental Twist, Corporeal Tweak were parts of the same power.

I would post them, but I cut and paste most of the original descriptors from classic, only changing the mechanics for Savage Worlds.
PlatinumWarlock
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clash957 wrote:
I have covered most of the hexes in Huckster's & Hexes into powers for Dealands Reloaded. I even converted the tricks over as 0 Power Point powers. Where I could, I tried to link the Hex to an existing power with some slight changes to mechanics.

Example:
Black Lightning (Bolt)
The Caster spends 1PP per d6 up to 6d6 creating a ball of dark energy. Using their Throwing skill the caster can toss as little (1d6) or as much energy (6d6) in an attack. If the caster is soaked with water or the Black Lightning is otherwise discharged the Huckster takes all remain damage held. The power ends when all the Black Lighting is used up.

Some of the Powers like Mental Twist, Corporeal Tweak were parts of the same power.

I would post them, but I cut and paste most of the original descriptors from classic, only changing the mechanics for Savage Worlds.

Your above power would be ok for a normal caster, I'd think--I might cap the damage at 3d6 per bolt, as that's the normal limit--bit how is this supposed to interact with a Hckster who's dealing with the devil? Does the hand required hinge on the power points desired, or some other way? It feels...incomplete, as is.
MrSethward
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when you converted Hexes over into Deadlands Reloaded, you most often replaced a similar Power from Reloaded rather than adding on to their selection? Hmm.
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlatinumWarlock wrote:
Your above power would be ok for a normal caster, I'd think--I might cap the damage at 3d6 per bolt, as that's the normal limit--bit how is this supposed to interact with a Huckster who's dealing with the devil? Does the hand required hinge on the power points desired, or some other way? It feels...incomplete, as is.

I figure if the huckster wants to risk having 6d6 damage discharge into their body after being doused with water they should be rewarded with being able to throw it all at once. It might be more prudent to only allow 3d6 (but can throw with each hand.

Dealing with the Devil yields the Huckster as many d6s as they get from their hand up to 6d6. I haven't hand many players Deal with the Devil and even fewer get really high hands. Most for this power would not have a function (because it is Concentration duration and Raises don't do anything). Originally, I didn't allow the power to have Raise damage to also balance it out.

You are correct, it was incomplete, I wanted broad strokes of the power for example. Additionally, the Huckster's & Hexes book had somewhere around 80 powers in it. I knew cut paste from the classic book it would only get used in my game, meaning that even if a huckster was in the game (which my current one doesn't) they're not likely to have many of the new powers. My players understood that not everything was detailed out and we could cover the things I missed in the game.

Even when the huckster in my last game had Black Lightning, he never threw huge bolts because his Throwing wasn't that good. I still haven't resolved if a Huckster could cast another hex while concentrating on holding black lightning in his hand.
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clash957 wrote:
Dealing with the Devil yields the Huckster as many d6s as they get from their hand up to 6d6.

But the poker hand table only goes up to 5 Power Points, so it should at least stop at 5 Power Points.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
PlatinumWarlock
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even beyond the aforementioned power-point limit, why would I not just sling a single 6d6 bolt every round? I mean, why bother hanging onto the bolt, when you know it can shock you, and splitting up the bolts would do less damage?

If you really wanted to replicate Black Lightning, why not just use the already existing Bolt power, add a d6 of damage (since Black Lightning is generally more damaging than Soul Blast), but with the added proviso that the spell can't be cast in a wet environment (storms, underwater, etc.). I'd honestly remove the Throwing roll in general, as there's no direct-damaging power that relies on such a mechanic, and it only serves to act as a "skill tax".

It just seems like the process being used earlier unnecessarily complicates a pretty simple and balanced system.
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@PlatinumWarlock
Maybe I was keeping too much of the mechanics from Classic and that definitely isn't in the spirit of Savage Worlds. I 100% agree with your version being much better version in that Spirit. Part of my purpose was to show how different a player could tailor a power to avoid the 'bland' complaint I often hear by people that just don't like the Trappings argument. Plus, I don't get too hung up on the speed or elegance of Savage Worlds all the time (bad D&D spellcaster habit).

My rational was for a character to throw a 6d6 damage every round was they would: take a MAP with Hexslinging and Throwing, run the risk of a foe holding their action to dose them with water, At 6 PP the huckster either took the Power Points edge or wants to Deal with the Devil, some dude in combat is throwing 6d6 lighting is going instantly become enemy #1 in a fight.

Granted, the foe would have to know that water would shock the caster. As for Dealing with the Devil, I like to see Hucksters do it more just like the Manitou themselves.

Throwing was a bit of a tax, but in Deadlands Classic playing a Huckster was a super costly mechanically. Not a good argument, I know. I also say that Black Lightning isn't the Bolt in Hoyle's Book of Games; the huckster didn't like it, they could stick with Soul Blast (although, I doubt you'll like how I managed Soul Blast). I also wanted to keep some the crazy damage that existed from Classic. I don't think too crazy when you have a gunslinger dealing 2-3d6+1x6 damage a round.

@Thunderforge

Oops, you're right Dealing with the Devil would only allow a 5d6 ball of Black Lighting. The PC huckster in my last game rarely DwtD, and never did with this power.
PlatinumWarlock
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at this mechanically, though, and just see problems.

Even at early levels, a Huckster could proverbially blow his load with a 6d6 blast of lightning and eviscerate anything on the battlefield, while a gunslinger has absolutely no chance to keep up.

Average results on 6d6 are 21. If a foe has 6 Toughness, they're automatically looking at Shaken and 3 wounds in one go. If they have 5 Toughness, they're incapacitated in one shot. Now, mind you, that's barring any explosions. Statistically speaking, there will be at least one die Acing amongst those 6. Taking the average on that die, raises us to 24.5 damage, enough to incapacitate any foe with less than 9 toughness in one go, given the average roll.

The response of--well, that huckster is going to become priority target shortly--is moot. The opposing force isn't likely to get a turn, much less be able to retaliate in any meaningful fashion. And if the spell is discharged before an enemy has a chance to soak the huckster? Well, that just makes that hindrance moot.

True, a high level gunslinger with the Marksman, called shot, and Improved Hip-Shooting edges who's also fanning the hammer could potentially out-damage the huckster at high levels, but that requires a serious investment in both skills and edges. Further, each of those bullets are treated as a separate attack for overcoming Toughness. Less damage will likely get through overall.
Our huckster, on the other hand, could do this at 0 xp. By the time the gunslinger could start to match damage output, the Huckster will easily have a d12 in Hexslinging, Old Hand, True Grit, and be able to throw down the 6d6 bolts without power points fairly regularly.

I realize that the flavor of Black Lightning or Soul Blast are much more flavorful than a simple bolt, but the mechanics were changed purposefully. Trying to hammer in old powers just for nostalgia's sake doesn't do much but unbalance the game.
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@PlatinumWarlock

I understand that the mechanics will likely cause a one shot kill if the Huckster decides to use it that way. However, caster only gets one bolt (they don't get the standard 3) of 6d6 damage without the ability to Raise costing them 6 PP. That's one target. They have to wait until the next round to throw any of it without a MAP as well. Using this power this way is a very big 'all your eggs in one basket.' The huckster is taking a fairly big risk if he misses.

I rarely have an opposing force of a single enemy unless it only as a certain weakness (which its not the combat, but the mystery) or is really damn big and tough (A Rattler). Most fights I GM have a bunch of Extras with a Wild Card. Sure, I'm very likely to lose that wild card if the Huckster succeeds with his Black Lighting attack that way. However, the huckster is mostly spent at that time. If I keep the true big bad hidden for a couple of rounds, the Huckster with likely have to DwtD if they want a full power Black Lighting bolt. Just like I could open the session with a Rattler just to sap the posse's strength before the real challenge.

I also understand that this is more likely to do more damage than all three bolts targeted on one foe. My justification is this spell can hurt the caster beyond backlash, and there is no way the huckster conceal it. Maybe it is far too powerful. Perhaps I can change the range from Smartsx2 to 3/6/8 per many standard thrown items.

I think I have a pretty good handle just how powerful this hex is. Part of the reason is nostalgia, but I also what crazy powerful magic that IS scary. Their is a legitimate concern that if this was used PvP the other player is likely going to lose. As for player abuse to NPCs, I do a good job of putting the fear of lynching into my Huckster players with it comes to hexes and the common folk. However, at the same time, I want to give the power to player and have them forget how dangerous all that tricking manitous into granting power really is. In actual play, I found that the huckster (and a Harrowed on top of that) was very reserved with this power when he used this power.

Like I said before, this use of the Bolt power in this way is against a few core philosophies in Savage Worlds. At same time, I have been in groups that largely didn't like the 'one size fits all' power idea and typically didn't know how to proceed to making their own trappings with powers nor understand they weren't beholden to the stock mechanics. They liked the Byzantine rules of D&D spells, and to a point so do I.

Is it too powerful? Maybe, but players in my game know if they want to spam Black Lightning, then one of these times their going to get splashed with water and take and average of 21 damage if the other problems with casting hexes don't get them first.

I do thank you for your input, though. It has made me see where I might want to shore of the mechanics a little more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: