Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sanity Rules, Realms of Chthulhu vs. Horror Companion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Willis
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Sanity Rules, Realms of Chthulhu vs. Horror Companion Reply with quote

I'm wanting to run a sci-fi horror game and want some sanity rules to use. I haven't picked up RoC or HC, and was wondering which book people would recommend using. I'm wanting to go with more of a Chthulhu type horror feel so I'm inclined to grab that one, but I just wanted some opinions from people that may have both.

Thanks in advance.
Bavix
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, either one will work, but if you're running a generic horror game with hints of Lovecraftian horror, the entire Horror Companion will be invaluable. I've actually switched my Rippers game from using the Reason setting rule to the Horror Companion Sanity rule. I think it works much better.
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanity Rules, Realms of Chthulhu vs. Horror Companion Reply with quote

Willis wrote:
I'm wanting to run a sci-fi horror game and want some sanity rules to use. I haven't picked up RoC or HC, and was wondering which book people would recommend using. I'm wanting to go with more of a Chthulhu type horror feel so I'm inclined to grab that one, but I just wanted some opinions from people that may have both.

Thanks in advance.

I prefer the Sanity rules from Realms, but the Horror Companion was my favorite companion.

No help, I know.
Jonah Hex
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bavix wrote:
Honestly, either one will work, but if you're running a generic horror game with hints of Lovecraftian horror, the entire Horror Companion will be invaluable. I've actually switched my Rippers game from using the Reason setting rule to the Horror Companion Sanity rule. I think it works much better.

Not to threadcrap, but how did you handle the interaction between sanity and Rippertech with dropping Reason?
J Gregory
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both. IMO, the RoC system would be better labelled "Stability" than "Madness" - it does a great job of modelling the shocks and traumas that blast a person's equilibrium in the short term. This one is my preference for action games and one-shots.

The HC version is a bit closer to a Call of Cthulhu's erosion-style Sanity track, emphasising the slow slide into insanity over the long term. Just tweak it a smidge to make characters go irretrievably mad when they hit zero and you're there. I'd go with this one for longer or bleaker Lovecraftian campaigns.

I've always thought that it would be an interesting experiment to use both these systems (Stability and Sanity) in tandem, in much the same way that Pelgrane's Trail of Cthulhu does.
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use the two books together, using both Sanity from the HC and Stability from RoC, along with the source materials, you can run a good game of Monster Hunters International

To be evil is to live backwards
StrayGeologist
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would that work exactly? using both...

I imagine it would be like:
A player sees something Nameless and Horrible, they roll Guts and fail (losing a point of Sanity), but they also get hit by the creature's Anguish damage vs. Sanity. The player would then take potential "Madness" wounds from whatever they saw.

Would they lose the point of Sanity before or after, as far as what the Mental Anguish amount is applied to?

I'm really interested to hear if J Gregory has any suggestions on how to use both to emulate Trail of Cthulhu's Stability/Sanity rules in SavageWorlds. I've played and run ToC and found the game mechanics to be incredibly unfulfilling, but there is some solid potential in what they did with Sanity rules.
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd actually used the GlowMadness rules from "Sundered Skies", and they were extremely simple and effective...
J Gregory
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StrayGeologist wrote:

I'm really interested to hear if J Gregory has any suggestions on how to use both to emulate Trail of Cthulhu's Stability/Sanity rules in SavageWorlds. I've played and run ToC and found the game mechanics to be incredibly unfulfilling, but there is some solid potential in what they did with Sanity rules.

Sorry its taken me a while to reply - I've been rolling this around in my head, trying to find a way to make it work elegantly, and I've come to the conclusion that you can't (well, at least I can't...). It just gets too clogged up with stats and bookwork - you wind up mousemilking.

I think a more streamlined way of approximating the Gumshoe style would be to run with the HC system in the place of Gumshoe's Sanity, and use the SW Fatigue track to model Mental Stability.

Failing a Guts check over a Mythos horror would have you immediately lose 1 San point (2 for a critical) a la the HC system. I think this does a decent job of representing the power and ease with which Mythos knowledge can shatter minds. Get down to zero San, and it's the rubber room for your investigator.

Failing a Guts check over something more mundane, say, a mangled corpse, costs a level of Mental Fatigue (this is just another flavour in the big grab bag of Fatigues, and stacks with the others ie. a level of mental fatigue and a level of fatigue from lack of sleep = 2 levels of Fatigue). When you get to "Mentally Incapacitated", you make a Spirit check:

Raise=Shaken + Psychosis for the encounter
Success=Shaken + Psychosis until all levels of Fatigue are removed
Failure=Shaken + Lose 1 San + Psychosis that requires Therapy to remove
Critical Failure=Unconscious + Lose 2 San + Permanent Psychosis.

Psychoses are generated by rolling on the HC Psychosis Table.

(Though my table above is shamelessly based on the excellent RoC Insanity table, I've gone for the HC Psychosis Table for the results rather than the RoC Mental Disorder Table, purely to confine the system to only using one additional reference book (the HC). If you've got it, you could easily use the RoC Table).

Going down this path might risk overloading the Fatigue track a little - it might be necessary to extend it to three levels (a la Suzerain). I'd have to playtest it to find out for my group. I guess it depends on whether you are the type of GM who uses other types of Fatigue a lot.

One regret is having to give up the name Stability for Mental Fatigue, but you've gotta run with what works, eh?
jonrog1
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mental Fatigue adaptation of Stability is officially YOINKED for my Firefly/Cthulhu game. Having played around with it, I agree you need to expand the Fatigue track to three levels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: