Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Rippertech worth it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Other Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tourq
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Is Rippertech worth it? Reply with quote

We're getting ready to start Rippers for the first time, but many of us are concerned that Rippertech isn't worth it. The whole point is to use Rippertech to give us a fighting chance against demons, and yet the penalty for using Rippertech seems to offset any advantage. Specifically, gaining Rippertech gives you a Reason penalty, which affects your Spirit die rolls, which greatly increases your chance of failing to recover from being Shaken.

Now, I don't have a lot of experience with Savage Worlds, but we've hit "Shaken-Lock" too many times already. I cringe at a penalty to recover from Shaken, and I certainly can't justify even a -1 penalty to recover from it.

Am I off-base?

Thanks for your time.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a penalty on Fear checks. Mr. Green

Yeah, that's all intentional.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I've played much rippers, but Combat Reflexes should be able to offset that loss
tourq
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ogbendog wrote:
Not that I've played much rippers, but Combat Reflexes should be able to offset that loss

Oooh. I forgot about that. Actually, I have little experience with Savage Worlds.

Thanks guys.
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that you can spend a benny at any time to get out of Shaken; no roll required. That should alleviate many of the "shaken-lock" problems.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
Tavis
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderforge wrote:
Don't forget that you can spend a benny at any time to get out of Shaken; no roll required. That should alleviate many of the "shaken-lock" problems.

A lot of that happened with my Rippers group.

Something else to remember (or at least, that I did) was give Bennies for roleplaying low (or negative) Reason.

Treating low Reason as a Hindrance (which it most definitely is!) meant more bennies going to those who took Rippertech and were willing to roleplay the 'slip into madness' that came with implanting bits of monster into themselves. That meant they had more to break the 'shaken lock' with.

Reason can also be recovered with time in an asylum (though that has it's own risks - a guaranteed additional Hindrance) or with therapy from an alienist (someone with the Alienist edge - less certain, but risk free)

Both of these can recover Reason back to 0 - you'll need a Spirit advance from that point to get your reason into positive numbers.

Also, having a good Rippertech Lab, and a GOOD practitioner of Rippertech (remember Rippertech is a knowledge skill, so with a d8 in Rippertech and any other Knowledge skill Scholar can be applied to it for a +2 to rolls) give a half decent chance of the implant being done with a raise or maybe two (bennies help here too) Raises on Rippertech implantation can be used to grant additional benefits, remove side effects and mitigate Reason loss (emphasis mine)

Most of the time my players went for removing side effects and mitigating Reason loss, unless they felt they could live with the side effects, in which case it was the Reason loss that got dealt with first - we did have a few spectacular rolls that resulted in implants with an additional benefit as well.

SWD: 50 Fathoms (GM)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Other Releases All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: