Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Classic - Swords

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waxahachie
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Classic - Swords Reply with quote

I'm a little bit new to Hell on Earth material, but I've been looking into the Templar archetype recently, specifically with regards to the use of swords by Templars.

The core book has the stats for a (generic) sword, but are there stats for different types of swords? Or does it treat all swords like they're the same thing? I can certainly cobble together my own house rules for swords, but if there's something in the actual game materials that someone could point me to, I'd rather go with that.

Thanks!
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "Sword" is any bladed weapon with a blade length of 24 to 40 inches, and a short handle designed for one- or two-handed use. It is assumed that any functional sword has both an edge and a point.
Shorter weapons can be covered by the Machete or Big Knife entries.
Pole arms can be covered by the Spear or Fixed-Bayonet entries.

There are specific swords with variant stats, but those are unique weapons, usually with magical properties.

Was there a specific kind of sword that you wanted unique stats for? Because there's enough expertise on this forum to put it together pretty quickly.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Classic - Swords Reply with quote

Waxahachie wrote:
The core book has the stats for a (generic) sword, but are there stats for different types of swords?

Well, if you have HOE, then I presume you also have the core rulebook for Savage Worlds as well. It includes stats for long swords (basically the generic sword of HOE), short swords, rapiers, great swords, and even a katana (though I'd alter those stats to something less... cinematic).

Of course, Templars only get a "normal" sword for free, so a cost would have to be figured out for the others. They might get some extra money if they use a lighter sword, or they might have to chip in some of their own cash to get a more expensive one.

www.peginc.com
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint, did you note that he's talking about Classic? Savage stats probably won't do him a lot of good. Laughing

P.S. Mmmm. Coffee.
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that a HoE sword was either a military saber or a handmade weapon. Swords aren't really that common nowadays, and anything bought from a knife store isn't actually a weapon that would hold up to a swing or two.

Thus, for me, more than one set of stats for swords isn't really needed.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
Clint, did you note that he's talking about Classic? Savage stats probably won't do him a lot of good. Laughing

P.S. Mmmm. Coffee.

Coffee good, but obviously not a complete replacement for sleep. Definitely missed that, sorry.

www.peginc.com
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooter: You can find new live steel blades. They are very rare. But the zombie fad has given us some more sources.

Clint: Mmm. Coffee. Zzz. Sleep.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Classic HOE every Templar player says there PC was a friend of Jo's and that she gave them a matching pair of Katana and wakizashi with a special history.

I believe i read in a friends books (as the group i played with had 20 and 30 min role play conversations) that the Templar were founded by a former museum security guard who took a car load of the real stuff with him. The Templar are modeled after the Knight Templar so all there gear including swords should be that style, thus standard Templar Starting Sword is a Knight Long Swords.

By the time HOE takes place the Templar would have found a blacksmith to make swords or some of them would have learned how.

It is as much a matter of learning and doing with a hand craft. and by the time of HOE there wold be master sword makers again. I have a friend who started in the SCA knowing nothing and and in 10 or 15 years he makes full $10,000 suites of armor for museums... and swords

Last edited by VonDan on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Waxahachie
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Classic Hell on Earth supplement called The Last Crusaders discusses relics, one of which is Arthurian, and another from the 15th Century or so. It also talks about cavalry sabers. They all have special magical properties here, but never are base stats mentioned.

Most swords are likely to be cavalry sabers certainly. Some people like to go beyond generic, and my players are often descriptive in building their characters and giving me their background story and why they have what type of sword they ended up with.

I suppose I could shoot down their concept and force a cavalry saber on them, or just give it the same stats and tell them to just pretend that it's really different. The player probably would be willing to go either way. But I thought I'd see if there really were any different stats for different blades. Which it seems there aren't. And that makes sense, as swords really aren't a crucial part of this era.

In any case, I looked at my copy of Savage World Deluxe and have used the stats for the different sword types listed there and am using them as something of a template.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I just looked at my copy of HOE Classic, and really all the stats are there.

The listed "sword" covers long swords and scimitars.
The "machete" covers short swords and sabers.
The "large knife" covers rapiers.
And the "great axe" works as the stats for a great sword too.

Pretty much any sword will fall under one of those groups; long, short, light, or huge.

www.peginc.com
Vonether
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
Scooter: You can find new live steel blades. They are very rare. But the zombie fad has given us some more sources.

Clint: Mmm. Coffee. Zzz. Sleep.

Even the big boys have gotten into the Apoc fad.
http://www.gerbergear.com/Apocalypse/Gear/Apocalypse-Kit_30-000601

One company TM'ed "Zombie" for their line
http://www.kabar.com/search?cx=008621727658895018651%3Alggenc92y_g&cof=FORID%3A10%3BNB%3A1&ie=UTF-8&q=zombie

I am definitely NOT a fan of the way the ZT company used unpolished pitting as decor on an allegedly legit weapon. So many places for rust to settle in.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waxahachie wrote:
But I thought I'd see if there really were any different stats for different blades. Which it seems there aren't. And that makes sense, as swords ...

... despite their mystique, aren't functionally terribly different.
Glad I could help you fix that. Razz

If you need stats for something beyond "longsword / sabre" then Clint's suggestions are, as usual, excellent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: