Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tale Telling for Grognards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellfire6A
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Tale Telling for Grognards Reply with quote

I have noticed a few complaints that Tale Telling has lost a little of its flavor. Since I am not an experienced Classic player I would like to make a suggestion that seems to match your complaints.

Use Social Conflict rules from SWD pg 96. The Tale Teller has to achieve 5 successes or better. Fear Level modifies the difficulty. Tale Teller, a good story and Charisma could also modify the difficulty. Any roll of one still has the same effect as listed in HOER.

Slick Sam and his party just wiped out a bunch of Trogs on the outskirts of Busted Gulch. Sam addresses the worthies gathered at the Wounded Buzzard (a local watering hole). Sam has persuasion d8, has the gift of gab and is tolerable to look at (Charismatic and Attractive). He would roll d8 and add +6 to his rolls. Thing is Busted Gulch is in a particularly bad part of the Wasted West the Fear Level is 5. Sam has 3 chances to get 5 successes or raises to do this he has to beat a TN of 3! Very doable but I hope he has some bennies left over just in case!

As a house rule I'd allow other players with persuasion to make Cooperative rolls.

Any such Tale Teller deserves some recognition as would the victorious PCs in the posse. I just don't know how to game that. A Legend Fate chip? A single use bennie that the PC keeps until he uses it?

What do you guys think?

None are free until all are free!

Last edited by Hellfire6A on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Tavis
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use a modified version of the fame rules from PotSM in, well, most of my games actually.

I find it's a good way to represent the growing reputation of a party/posse/whatever and give them both reward and a little trouble for the name that they are getting.

It seems a good fit as a reward for Tale Tellin' to me, assuming you have PotSM, that is.

SWD: 50 Fathoms (GM)
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tale Telling for Grognards Reply with quote

Hellfire6A wrote:
What do you guys think?

The Classic rules were "one and done"; roll once and succeed or fail, with a Bust causing the fear level to get worse. The only flavor came from the fact that you, the player, were expected to actually tell a tale. In reloaded, you're still expected to tell a tale, then roll to defeat fear.

So, I'm not sure what has been lost in the new rules. They work exactly the same as the old rules (minus the increasing TN, the unique skill, and the difference in dice rolled).
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tale Telling for Grognards Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
In reloaded, you're still expected to tell a tale, then roll to defeat fear.

Actually Hell on Earth Reloaded says nothing abut making the player have to tell the story at the table (Deadlands Reloaded did). And aside from taking lesser penalties to Fear checks in the future, it doesn't even say why you'd even want to do it.

The Marshal's Section of Hell on Earth Reloaded wrote:
Once the posse defeats a major evil, one of the heroes may make a Persuasion roll to tell the tale of the group’s victory over the forces of darkness. This roll is modified by the Fear Level, and if successful, the hero’s story reduces the local Fear Level by 1. Exactly how “local” this is depends on the hero’s audience. If he spreads the story to the population of a small town, he probably lowers the Fear Level within that town only.

I like Hellfire6A's suggestion on making the process mechanically more interesting, but I feel that the underlying problem is still there: Tale Tellin' has taken a back seat in Reloaded.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tale Telling for Grognards Reply with quote

Thunderforge wrote:
...but I feel that the underlying problem is still there: Tale Tellin' has taken a back seat in Reloaded.

But so has Fear, to some extent, as reflected by Hell on Earth's Guts rules. The Reckoners won, and turned it all into a Deadland. Fear's a way of life now, not an outlier found most often in the loneliest and most remote spots.

It's the same setting, but a completely different era, different game, different feel. The rules seek to emulate that. Your mileage, of course, may vary.
shinryu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tale Telling for Grognards Reply with quote

Thunderforge wrote:

Actually Hell on Earth Reloaded says nothing abut making the player have to tell the story at the table (Deadlands Reloaded did). And aside from taking lesser penalties to Fear checks in the future, it doesn't even say why you'd even want to do it.

Given that there is no Grit anymore, I think that's a pretty big advantage, actually. Probably more so if the characters are actually attached to a place rather than wandering around, of course.

You could let a good tale get around though as a sort of quasi-grit, and that's kind of an awesome way to show your players they did something that mattered: stroll into the Junkyard shantytowns and feel it just a little less oppressive, and overhear tell of the crazy bastards who wasted that giant worm down towards the California border; even those things can die and we can do it, you know?

Or it could give you just plain Grit for the group, but that's probably a bit too much of a reward.
Hellfire6A
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited my example above. I can't believe that I was the only person to notice I forgot to add the +2 for the Tale Teller edge. Surprised

I still think that if someone is wanting a more challenging method for Tale Teller but one that won't take over a session use Social Conflict from SWD.

I think another benefit of this is to show the PCs that the challenge is commensurate with the reward. As has been pointed out...they just made life easier for themselves and a whole bunch of other folks.

None are free until all are free!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: