Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[SWD] Suppression and Autofire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GarethLazelle
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: [SWD] Suppression and Autofire Reply with quote

Maybe I'm reading the Autofire rules wrong, but...

As written, having a high RoF seems to be a penalty when making a Suppressive Fire attack?

As I understand it, the only requirement for suppressive fire is a RoF of 2+,

The Autofire rules are pretty easy to understand, but RoF only seems to be a factor for ammunition consumption (use 15 rnds per point of RoF used).

This seems a little counter-intuitive, as it means most players are going to use the lowest RoF possible when using Suppressive fire, and logically, suppressive fire should be more effective as more lead heads downrange?

Have I got this correct?

My personal thought is that the RoF should probably be used to either enlarge the Burst Template, provide a bonus to the attack roll, or perhaps to penalise the Spirit roll? (The Spirit TN could be (2 + RoF) perhaps?)

BTW, as a further question, how do weapons with burst templates work when using suppressive fire? (e.g.: the 30mm cannon on p55 has an MBT when firing HE rounds, and a RoF of 3?)
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: [SWD] Suppression and Autofire Reply with quote

GarethLazelle wrote:
Maybe I'm reading the Autofire rules wrong, but...

As written, having a high RoF seems to be a penalty when making a Suppressive Fire attack?

As I understand it, the only requirement for suppressive fire is a RoF of 2+,

The Autofire rules are pretty easy to understand, but RoF only seems to be a factor for ammunition consumption (use 15 rnds per point of RoF used).

This seems a little counter-intuitive, as it means most players are going to use the lowest RoF possible when using Suppressive fire, and logically, suppressive fire should be more effective as more lead heads downrange?

Have I got this correct?

Not exactly. First off, Suppressive Fire uses only 5 rounds per point of ROF. A ROF 3 weapon would use 15 bullets in total, not 45, a pretty big difference.

Also note that ROF is a weapon stat, not a choice of the player. A player can choose to make fewer attacks when firing normally, but that does not change the ROF stat of the weapon.

So if they want a lower ROF, they would have to carry a lower ROF weapon, and there aren't many personal ROF 2 or ROF 4 weapons to choose from that don't have other drawbacks, besides the obvious weight of carrying additional weapons and ammunition.

Then of course there is the actual combat issue of having to put up one weapon and ready another every time the character switched between Suppressive Fire and normal attacks.

GarethLazelle wrote:
BTW, as a further question, how do weapons with burst templates work when using suppressive fire? (e.g.: the 30mm cannon on p55 has an MBT when firing HE rounds, and a RoF of 3?)

Very simply, they don't. Suppressive fire is about spraying an area with lead not cannon shells, and that's why the usage is noted in "bullets." It might be usable with futuristic lasers depending on the setting, but ultimately, it's for stuff under the normal "Ranged Weapons" category.

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: