Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cyborgs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capnsmitty19
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Cyborgs Reply with quote

So I have been using a frankenstein ruleset based off of Cyborgs in the Sci-Fi toolkit, and a homebrew ruling from HOE Classic.

Just curious to what everyone else is doing, if anything.

I am basically using a straight port for drain=PPts for the powers/cyber gear
the caveat I am doing on those is that PPts won't replenish every round like in Classic, but after the combat scene.

Just want to get peoples thoughts...

"A Great Leader can see a better future, you know like Thomas Jefferson, or the kid from the Terminator movies"
shinryu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is more or less what was done in the adventure they released about the nuke, as I remember. Personally, I don't think it'd be unreasonable to handle their powers via a combination of the Harrowed edges (Supernatural attribute or Claws goes a long way) and the No Power Points system for the cyborg bits:

Have the AI roll its rating to activate things (or not roll, if it decides not to help); the more powerful AIs are better at managing your systems but harder to resist in Dominion terms, giving the player some interesting choices during character creation... The -1 for sustained powers represents the Spirit Fetter getting progressively more drained as you run more systems simultaneously; failing a roll is a temporary shutdown (all powers canceled) and a Shaken result from the power loss. You could even have some "permanent" powers: You could define an Armor or Growth power is always on (for heavy plating, or to represent a Heavy Can) as a Trapping but it would always inflict a -1 penalty to activate any of the "temporary" powers like Quickness or Barrier, say. In return I'd probably let permanent powers be raise-equivalent. I think that's pretty fair.
Capnsmitty19
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an interesting take on it. I am gonna playtest the way I was thinking, and Ill let everyone know how it turns out... The only thing I am worried about was the same as I was leery of in Classic...Cyborgs are considerably higher powered characters, and It is a definite balance issue making sure their drawbacks are used so they dont over shadow everyone else.

"A Great Leader can see a better future, you know like Thomas Jefferson, or the kid from the Terminator movies"
Kilgore
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never able to figure out a way that light and heavy cans wouldn't be completely broken in a game. Luckily the only player I had who wanted to play a cyborg chose to play an infiltrator.

I liked way they handled it in the sample adventure, by using the super-power rules to represent the subsystems. But, as you note, that wouldn't really work to simulate a lot of the effects for the heavier combat cyborgs. I'd like to hear how your game goes.
shinryu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
I was never able to figure out a way that light and heavy cans wouldn't be completely broken in a game. Luckily the only player I had who wanted to play a cyborg chose to play an infiltrator.

I liked way they handled it in the sample adventure, by using the super-power rules to represent the subsystems. But, as you note, that wouldn't really work to simulate a lot of the effects for the heavier combat cyborgs. I'd like to hear how your game goes.

Well, a light can's not a godawfully overpowered option, but i think the only way that the heavy combat cyborgs and drones were "playable" was that they were almost unplayably stupid and restricted by the rules of engagement. "You, go kill that!" was about as much as they got to do. No social interaction, no real motivation, just kind of player-character automatons. So if the other players don't mind checking out when the fight starts and the drone player doesn't mind making whirring noises and trying not to kill that guy over in the corner wearing red despite the demands of the friendly voice of Woody Woodpecker in his skull (k-k-kill, k-k-kill, k-k-kill him! ha ha ha ha) while everybody does anything else at all it's not so bad. It's kind of the ultimate big dumb brick option, isn't it? Also, I remember their Guts skills sucking beyond belief after the Spirit hits? Or that's scrappers?
Capnsmitty19
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the spirit loss is for borgs as well, and yeah the player is using a light can, so im hoping to make it a challenge, but we shall see.

Redtwin
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shinryu wrote:
This is more or less what was done in the adventure they released about the nuke, as I remember.

This is wonderful timing, as I'm going to be running that for a group of new players Sat after next.

It treats it as AB (Super power), giving them a single power and 20 PP. Personally, I'd make it AB (Weird Science) with a focus on self-buffs. Maybe remove the activation roll and have power automatically succeed, but require 3x the initial and ongoing PP cost for a raise. Give 'em the choice of being better for the long haul or exceptional for a very short burst. Of course, this also removes the chance of things blowing up in your face (or leg/arm/torso/etc).

It makes sense to me that cyborgs would have capacitors or batteries to store excess energy for combat, and that the spirit fetter would slowly top them up during downtime. It's a cheap way of having more energy when you need it, and it beats throwing away excess energy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: