Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do Servitors Have to Align with One of the Four Reckoners?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Do Servitors Have to Align with One of the Four Reckoners? Reply with quote

Marshal's only stuff, probably. So if you're a player, beware of spoilers!

In the Wasted West, there are servitors who were ordinary people who did some very bad things and got transformed into monstrosities. They always seem to be aligned with one of the four Reckoners: Famine, War, Death, and Pestilence.

My question is, do all servitors have to be aligned with one them? For instance, if I wanted to have servitors that were embodiments of the Seven Deadly Sins (Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy, and Pride), could I do it? Some obviously would fit with the Reckoners (e.g. Wrath with War), but others don't (e.g. Envy, Lust, Pride).

I know that as a GM I can do whatever I want to, but using the established Deadlands/Hell on Earth mythology, could it happen this way?

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officially, all known servitors are empowered by the Reckoners - specifically by a Reckoner. So, each is aligned with one of the four.

If it matters which Reckoner is the character's patron then you'll need to develop the back story enough to know what deeds earned Servitor status. If Envy led a man to poison a village, and then keep being evil and envious, then he's probably aligned with Pestilence; if that same sin led him to start a massive gang war then he belongs to War. If his Envy caused him to withhold foodstuffs while innocents starved then he's Famine's. If he simply kills those he's jealous of then he probably belongs to Death.
It's the deeds, not the motivation, that link a servitor to a particular Reckoner.
The four iconic servitors use their power to: keep millions on the edge of starvation, spread madness and ghost rock-related ailments, stir up unending conflict, and be the deadliest killer in the world. Gluttony or Envy, Pride, Wrath, and Pride would be the respective sins.

Cool?

P.S. There are other entities that could create servitors but they either lack the power at this time (worms) or are otherwise occupied (whatever is under the Union supernatural prison).
shinryu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
P.S. There are other entities that could create servitors but they either lack the power at this time (worms) or are otherwise occupied (whatever is under the Union supernatural prison).

A (sadly recently deceased) friend of mine evidently started a pretty hilarious panic/flamewar back in the day by mentioning the jolly, shiny, red candy-like button for "release Satan" being located under the Union prison there. This was entirely based on the "hope you guessed my name" header for that section but a lot of people thought he was quoting from the book.

I think his joke was actually officially debunked at some point in the chaos. But it's totally Satan under there. Has to be in my games anyway, just as a little tribute to him if nothing else.

Incidentally, I wonder if (or this would be a great plot idea if it's not being officially developed) new-school Reckoners are starting to develop now that the old ones are gone. I mean, there's enough weird things going on that Reckoner-alikes for Radiation, or Tech-spirits, or whatever, could be a plausible new force in the post-Unity world.
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
If Envy led a man to poison a village, and then keep being evil and envious, then he's probably aligned with Pestilence; if that same sin led him to start a massive gang war then he belongs to War. If his Envy caused him to withhold foodstuffs while innocents starved then he's Famine's. If he simply kills those he's jealous of then he probably belongs to Death.

The common denominator there seems to be that they kill people in one way or another, which I find less than satisfying because I imagine there could be a lot of creative things that could be done with the Seven Deadly Sins that don't result in killing people.

Maybe there was sort of Servitor of Sloth who tricked 10,000 people into getting trapped in a hellish version of The Matrix for his own amusement. Or a Servitor of Pride who used some of those mind-control movies to get a whole city to make him their beloved leader against their will. Or a Servitor of Lust who…yeah, you can imagine some bad situations there.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
cloudshaper2k
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it's less how much killing they do and more how much they contribute to the overall fear level. Remember, the Reckoners draw power from fear and they reward those who provide them with fear - usually with new and more sinister ways of generating more fear.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderforge wrote:
The common denominator there seems to be that they kill people in one way or another, which I find less than satisfying because I imagine there could be a lot of creative things that could be done with the Seven Deadly Sins that don't result in killing people.

Simple examples that I don't have to think about tend to include death. Probably says something about me. Neutral Though only one of those explicitly includes death, so I'm not the only one with stuff being revealed. Wink

My point being they do things that generate fear and suffering, but what those things are show who they belong to.
Lust tends to enhance Pestilence - lots of diseases spread through various acts of debauchery.
Erpegis
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a promising thread about Seven Deadly Reckoners somewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: