Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vampire the Masquerade - Generation Edge?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newForumNewName wrote:
Vampire: The Masquerade isn't a horror game. It's a gothic punk game. It sure can do horror, even personal horror, but that isn't the default.

It's set in a modern gothic-punk world, but as I pointed out before, the defining theme is "personal horror". You don't have to play it that way, but that's how it's marketed, and that's how the mechanics are designed - just as regular horror games often have some sort of "sanity" stat, so VtM has "humanity".

Having said that, the Vampire games I played (most of which were based on official storylines) had a lot in common with regular "horror". The Cathedral of Flesh, for example, or the story of Vasilisa and Baba Yaga, or the Last Supper (from the Giovanni Chronicles), or many of the Sabbat "games" - and if you start including crossover concepts such as Black Spiral Dancers, it gets even worse. Some of that stuff is really nasty, and well into "horror" territory.
shinryu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newForumNewName wrote:
shinryu wrote:
but Masquerade can so do horror.

Stop right there. Just re-read what you've written and think about it.

Now I'm going to replace the noun in there to let you see how that statement is just very bad:

"but ramen noodles can so do horror."

May i suggest you upgrade to a better brand of ramen noodles? I am fond of the Shin Ramayun myself.*

I suspect this may be one of those internet context things: please take "so" in my statement to indicate that I think VtM is very good at horror. Yes, technically someone could probably construct a horrifying, um, something from ramen noodles, or from TOON if we want to stay roleplaying-like. VtM is very well constructed for horror, can "so" do horror, in the sense that D&D could "so" do a dungeon crawl. One could do either in the other but I don't think you could argue that each is clearly constructed to attempt to be very good at one of the two and would maybe not be as good at the other.

I also disagree, heartily, that one should not attempt to translate the system as best as possible. Otherwise, what's the point? I can come up with, hell, have come up with my own vampire-esque settings. But if it doesn't have Generation and Clans and Sects and Disciplines that function roughly similarly to how they function in the source material, then I might as well make up Fluffy Bunnies with Fangs Eat Babies for Breakfast: Trenchcoat and Katana Edition.

*Actually, the spiciness of the Korean ramens can be pretty horrifying, you are not prepared for it. I might have seen some glowing orbs, heard some insane piping, first time I ate some of that stuff.
shinryu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:
I made a few new things up for a setting about when the goths invaded Rome

New Skills

Knowledge Mascara
Knowledge Macabre Poetry

Edges: Dry Crying (can keep makeup from running when crying for attention)

Hindrance: My parents just donít understand me Ė2 spirit rolls
Hindrance: Addiction to Grape Juice (that he pretends is blood)
Hindrance: Depressive Attitude -2 Cha

is there a system for shuffling my feet out of sync with the music and taking a drag off my cigarette? otherwise this just isn't mechanically sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: