Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OFFICIALLY Fixing the Following Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PencilBoy99
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: OFFICIALLY Fixing the Following Issues Reply with quote

Particularly with the most recent Deluxe Edition and Companions, I'm totally into the idea of Savage Worlds as my go to game (e.g., either running an official setting or converting other things to it). The following items, however, I have a lot of trouble working with.

Since people, in general, aren't thrilled with the integrity of "some guy's" system hacks, and mine would probably break the system anyway. I'm looking for OFFICIAL (e.g., a Pinnicle or Licenced Setting, old Shark-Bytes) mechanic that resolves any of the following:
1. Replace the multiple non-combat physical skills w/ Athletics (climbing, swimming, etc.).
2. Replace counting $ with something like the RESOURCE attribute from the DFRPG or Strands of Fate (you're assumed to be able to get normal stuff, for expensive stuff it's a roll based on how many points you put into the resource.
3. Without Miniatures: I think this is fixed by many of Clint's board comments and the Deluxe edition
4. "Mental"/Social Combat: again, covered by the Deluxe edition

P.S.: The above are not criticisms of the game, but just flavor things I like or don't like.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I'm unaware of anything published by PEG or a Licensee, but I can tell you from experience that Athletics does not break anything, unless you're running a campaign that's all about climbing and swimming and so forth.
It's a little off-putting in PotSM or 50F when the "historically accurate" sailing crew can actually swim, but it's not going to wreck the game.

2-4 I've got nothing.

Good luck!
PencilBoy99
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... You're right, keeping swimming separate for mideaval and such settings makes sense.
wanderingmystic
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2: I wouldn't add any new resource for the players to spend points, instead as a GM you hand wave minor purchases and tell players no for most major purchases. If they have the Rich Edge then most moderately expensive purchases are allowed or hand waved, and the very rich edge money isn't really a concern.

I have GMed Deadlands and Rippers for several years, in Deadlands I have never had to tell a player how much money he had or worry about them trying to buy everything. I hand wave my players room, board and travel expenses, my players who have the rich edge (one is a Saloon owner the other has a Ghost Rock mine) I let live a more extravagant lifestyle if they want to buy an Infernal device then i give them an arbitrary number on how long it will take to save up for it or make them liquidate some of their holdings to get it quicker.
PencilBoy99
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that was my concern about just adding stuff - eating up points. Cool.
Armmeggedon
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a Wealth mechanic in a Shark Bytes a while back...lemme see if I can find it
edit:http://savagepedia.wikispaces.com/file/view/sharkbytesV1N1.pdf
Drue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re item two: iirc, Agents of Oblivion does something like that where supplies and such are provided by a combination of base values dependent on rank plus resource points to "buy" stuff outside the standard kit.
Mylon
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 is a must have. Climbing and Swimming are so expensive to buy up!

#3-4, if they're in the deluxe then they're official.
Bavix
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as Swimming, Climbing, and other physical skills go, it my be just as easy to just drop the skills completely and just let characters use their ability scores instead. The assumption could be that characters can do these things unless they take a hindrance saying otherwise. Likewise, you can add Edges to simulate advanced training (Expert Climber and Expert Swimmerócould grant a +2).
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counting money is easy to do without being to specific. Modify the requisitions rules from deadlands reloaded using the agency rules.

Give everyone a skill called wealth for free and it starts at a d4. Rich, Filthy Rich and Noble increase the die type by one and two respectively. Poor gets you the wealth skill at d4-2.

Use the Agency's Rank table with poor being Rank 0 and each of the other ranks being replaced by the wealth skill die. so it goes d4-2, d4, d6, d8, d10, d12.

Instead of persusaion items are rolled for using the wealth skill. (prevents persuasion from being super awesome.)

Making multiple purchases is basically handled exactly like it reads with an increasing modifier but lower it to a -1 for each cumulative purchase instead of a -2. Raises on the skill roll do not effect the result you either have the money or you don't (You could do raises on the skill to represent finding the item at an extremely good deal. If you use raises with the skill then this modifier is ignored for any purchase that succeeds with a raise.) In situations where bartering/haggling/dealing is possible let the charisma bonus apply to the roll. Snake eyes on the roll means you find the item but spent all availiable funds to purchase it.

Wealth skill can decrease or increase as wealth is accumulated or spent but should for the most part is easily handled by situational modifiers. Say a player wants to buy something that will givce them a steady income bump the die up a type when it's aqquired. They find a chest full of gold well that a +1-2 for so many rolls before it's all spent.

Then all you have to do is assign a modifier to items in your game based on how expensive you want them to be. Basic/cheap items should be a +2 and rarer/expensive items should go down to -4.

Edit: Added in that the wealth skill is rolled instead of persuaision.
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, Crumbs! Stolen...
Crumbs
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It's still a work in progress so it needs some tweaking but the foundation is pretty solid since I ripped it from mechanics that exist.
Erpegis
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gramel will have a resource system in some of our upcoming releases, or maybe earlier if i'll be able to talk Piotr into releasing it as a standalone. Smile
77IM
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For #1, I believe Clockworks (which is sadly not yet released) is going to have a combined Athletics skill because the main character write-ups show just an Athletics skill.

If you do use an Athletics skill, consider using the "Skill Familiarity" rules from SWD. So a great climber who's never swum before gets a -2 penalty, which is kind of significant -- but he's still a lot better at swimming than a total couch potato who has no Athletics skill whatsoever.

-- 77IM
PencilBoy99
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the above all sounds pretty sweet.
Lord Inar
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaslight from Battlefield Press has a wealth system, initially inspired by Modern d20s system but then expanded with my own flavoring.

- Marc
Best Internet page ever
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: