Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone still playing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Great Rail Wars!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walkin Dead
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Anyone still playing? Reply with quote

Hello. I recently pulled out my GRW stuff from the closet to give it another read. I know it is a dead game in terms of any mass appeal, but it still holds a warm place in my heart. I really like that the rules read quickly and the game doesn't seem to take itself too seriously. Plus, I really think the creative folks that put the Deadlands setting together provided a wealth of inspiration to draw from for the terrain builder and scenario makers out there.

I am working on preparing the scenery called for in the Fist Full O' Ghost Rock campaigns. I have some non-miniatures gaming friends that will love running through this.

I am rambling a bit just ask if anyone out there still plays this classic. Let's hear from you if you still play. I would especially like to hear from anyone that played the FFOGR campaign to know what worked well and what didn't.

Thanks!
John Goff
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are probably more players than you suspect. At Origins, someone even bought some GRW goodies from the Studio 2 booth. However, finding them is usually the trick. Wink

One thing I've found that works is to set up the game at a game store or con. The minis and terrain draw the attention of just about everyone there 'cause they're so different from what most folks are used to seeing. I use GRW as my default when I'm demoing Showdown and usually draw a fair deal of attention. Since the rulesets are so close, converting over is pretty easy as well.
Doc Firefly
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I love Savage Worlds and Showdown I will ALWAYS love and play GRW.
Doc Holliday
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure! I will be playing some battles this Thursday. GRW was my entry into Deadlands and Savage Worlds. Have been playing it since it came out in the 90s (and still undefeated!!) Twisted Evil I have played all published material. It has been awhile since I played FFoGR but I believe it went smoothly.
Kullervo
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just pulled out my Great Rail Wars stuff a few days ago. I had forgotten how many of the miniatures I bought back in '97 or so when I was really excited about the game. I'm eager to give it another spin.
carmachu
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many products were there for GRWS, books or box sets, not minis.
John Goff
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head, there were six--and I freely admit I may be missing one here 'cause I don't have a full catalog in front of me at the moment. Wink

The Great Rail Wars boxed set
Fistful of Ghost Rock
Derailed
Cry Havoc
The Dogs of War

And finally, The Great Rail Wars (stand-alone rulebook). This contains the basic rules, some of the rules (I've never sat down and figured out what was and wasn't included, though) from some of the earlier products, troop lists, equipment, and spell lists and descriptions. This one came out after my tenure, so I'm not as familiar with it, unfortunately.
Doc Firefly
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are rumors that a friend and myself maybe running a GRW battle at a Con in Tuscon in the Spring. (That is if we can get all the duckies in a row.)
doctorduckbutter
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently running it all over my local area. Mostly using the old rules, but on occasion I use the Showdown rules. I like the old rules because they seem to fit together very well. The Showdown rules are great in the fact that I can easily add things to the game that were not stated in the GRW stuff. Things like a Bigger Rattler and the like!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Great Rail Wars! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: