Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[DLN] What clues in HOE tell us the background of DLN
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands Noir
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluegrass
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: The Great War Reply with quote

Howdy,

ValhallaGH wrote:
Bluegrass wrote:
I'm curious to see how the First World War plays out in the Deadlands 'verse.

Brainburners (6002) page 7. The USA and CSA both joined up in 1917, against the Germans.

Ah, thanks for the info! For Classic HoE, I only have the core book and The Last Templars. Thinking I am getting ready to add Brainburners to the list. Wink

ValhallaGH wrote:
No comments about them dragging it out, but that war was horrible enough that it didn't need supernatural increases in fear. (It probably had a few, but the return on investment was piddly - humans made that fight terrifying enough.)
The Reckoners probably tried to extend it, but there is only so much they could do.

Yeah, it's a pretty safe bet that the Reckoners had some involvement in the Great War. And considering that the Reckoners had a lot of abominations that already fit the mud and blood of the Great War -- things like Bloodwire, Mourning Mist, 'Golms, Agent Provocateurs, and the Black Regiment (whose purpose was got me wondering about a prolonged First World War) - it's no wonder the battlefields of the Western Front became Deadlands.

Thanks,
Bluegrass[/i]
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Great War Reply with quote

Bluegrass wrote:

Yeah, it's a pretty safe bet that the Reckoners had some involvement in the Great War. And considering that the Reckoners had a lot of abominations that already fit the mud and blood of the Great War -- things like Bloodwire, Mourning Mist, 'Golms, Agent Provocateurs, and the Black Regiment (whose purpose was got me wondering about a prolonged First World War) - it's no wonder the battlefields of the Western Front became Deadlands.

Thanks,
Bluegrass[/i]

I say go for it an develop that thought. That sounds like a fun campaign in the works.
Waxahachie
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There area a few pertinent events here that are worth considering, but this can help fill in some of the gaps.

http://www.johnmcneil.com/portal/Gaming/Deadlands/TimelineofDoom/tabid/187/Default.aspx

1924 - Sgt. York becomes a teacher at the Confederate Syker Academy. The Last Crusaderspg. 49

So...maybe there'll be Sykers in Noir? Probably not common, but still..interesting.
catalac
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Great War Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
Bluegrass wrote:
I'm curious to see how the First World War plays out in the Deadlands 'verse.

Brainburners (6002) page 7. The USA and CSA both joined up in 1917, against the Germans.

No comments about them dragging it out, but that war was horrible enough that it didn't need supernatural increases in fear. (It probably had a few, but the return on investment was piddly - humans made that fight terrifying enough.)
The Reckoners probably tried to extend it, but there is only so much they could do.

well i think they could have come up with something. but... scary thought here (i've been thinking about this before ever doing deadlands) but world war 1 is one of the most bloody terrifying times in history not just because of the trench wars (which are bad enough) but also their was an epidemic going on full scale at the time. one of the worst ones in history in fact, the Spanish influenza of 1917 which killed more people then the black death. (also imagine people who die from it due to the reckoners just might come back undead.
Twisted Evil )
note: interesting fact that i read on Wikipedia (so don't trustit as god given truth if its wrong) was that the Spanish fever was even worse because of world war one. due to the way trench war far and hospitals worked people infected with a disease ended up traveling many miles to get in a hospital while the healthy stayed locked down in one spot normally when a epidemic occurs the opposite is true and it helps limit the spread of the disease but not in the case of world war one so the spread of the disease in Europe was easier.
this can lead to some awesome fear levels so you might want to hurry and use the setting before hellstromme comes to save the day.
(i'm not sure where but somewhere in the forums i heard someone say that hellsromme after emerging in his machine form he sent tanks and other technology to end the world war. not sure if the meant world war 1 or 2 but considering that i think hellstromme became a machine in the 10s i think its ww1.)
The Geezer
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Last Crusaders (though I'm not going to look up the exact page number) we're also told that the slums of NYC is infected by nosferatu.

On 'sykers: Sykers are generally the domain of the agency and rangers as well as the military, so a syker is going to be kept on a really short leash. But it does open for the possibilty of renegades. Greenies and other wild talents are more likely.

Movietown (the Deadlands equivalent of Hollywood) is sure to be covered in the companion.

On WWI: There's sure to be more than a few weird stories (there are even some stories from real life about ghostly regiments) but as pointed out earlier, the Big One was pretty nasty, most importantly even without any (known) supernatural influence it will cause WW2.

To properly prepare myself for DL:N I've begun reading Lovecraft and Robert Howard. Cultist gangsters and corrupt coppers
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best Deadands game I ran had WW1 as the final war (once you add Weird Science (zeppellins with ghost rock-relativity bombs!)) to the already preeent WAR (!) PESTILENCE (Spanish Flu) and Famine (German U Boats and British blockade)

It allowed me to pick and choose from Deadlands and HoE for a great game
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands Noir All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: