Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Showdown--The American Civil War!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Showdown
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankfrey
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Showdown--The American Civil War! Reply with quote

Greetings,

Tomorrow afternoon, I'm scheduled to run a SW Showdown at a local library in Tampa. It's in essence, a demo game. I chose the ACW setting because I have a lot of nicely painted troops for that conflict (courtesy of Reinforcements by Post). I have genned up both sides and I would like to share my efforts here.
First of all, I divided the rank and file into 4 man sections. This was actually how they were divided in reality...at least according to the military manuals of the time. The four man unit is very convenient and it fits historically. Rather than use the point system, I simply made them all the same. Here they are:
Union and/or Confederate Infantry (4)
Attributes Ag d6, Sm d6, Sp d6, St d6, Vig d6
Skills Fighting d8, Shooting d6
Pace 6", Parry5, Toughness 5
Abilities None
Weapons
Rifled Musket (15/30/60; DMG 2d8; ROF 1, Snapfire -2)
Bayonet: DMG d6+d4/2d6
As you can see, they're pretty much average troops representing perhaps a unit that has seen some action already but are not quite veterans.
I'll take a look at the Wildcard Leaders in a separate post.[/u]
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool start! I'd love to see more of this when you get it out! There's a lot of great maps out there of famous Civil War battles, so I imagine it'd be easy to create a showdown map of one.

When you say Wildcard Leaders, are you talking about generals and such?

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
frankfrey
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No...by Wildcard Leaders, I'm talking about the low ranking officers and NCO's such as:
Lt. Epraim Whately USA
SGT Liam Cavanaugh USA
Lt. Bonaparte Braquemarde CSA
SGT Joe Bob Briggs CSA

The idea is to let each player take a Wildcard and then take up to 4 of the 4 man groups as Allies that will act on the Wildcards turn. This is where the personalities come into play. For example, SGT Cavanaugh has the Level Headed Ability. This makes the troops under his command more flexible and responsive provided they are within Unit Cohesion.
Thanks for your interest. I'll have the stats for the Wildcards up tonight or tomorrow along with all of the point values.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a Fighting of d8, Parry should be 6.

Otherwise, looks good. Very Happy Best of luck.

P.S. If you want to make a campaign out of this, I'd suggest setting it in the Deadlands alternate universe. It starts in the Civil War, but deviates dramatically after the battle of Gettysburg, allowing all sorts of campaign-based changes to history. And the option to throw in a third force of monsters, creating the interesting tactical choice of allying with the enemy to fight monsters, or using the monsters as a distraction to kill the enemy and hope you're strong enough to kill the monsters. Twisted Evil
frankfrey
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it's a typo on my part. It should be Fighting d6.
doctorduckbutter
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the game with Frank and it was quite fun, I have some pictures and will post them soon. I think it surprised both of us how FAST, FURIOUS, and FUN it was. I am used to a slower miniatures game, and even though I run Savage Worlds at least twice a month, I was surprised at the speed. When you are just doing combat, with little to no RP, the game is smooth as silk and FAST!

Also, Frank added some extra rules for a Civil War feel, which worked wonderfully. First, any musket had the snapfire rule. This meant that if you moved and fired you were at -2, but staying still (thus closing up ranks and mass firing) was normal. Also, Mass Fire could be used as Suppression Fire, which worked well too.

Pictures

Setup

Blurry Picture of Union Troops

Rebs moving in behind a hill

Another Setup Pic

There you go!
frankfrey
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ryan...you ran a really cool Great Rail Wars battle before this one. It is interesting to see the similarities between the two systems.
I also would like to add a bit more roleplaying aspects to these skirmishes and IMO, the best way to do this is to give each Wildcard Leader a personal objective. For example while both Lt. Braquemarde and SGT Briggs wish to take the farmhouse and keep the Yankees from it perhaps Lt. Braquemarde wants to meet his Yankee counterpart in a one on one duel. If he succeeds then he recieves extra victory points.
Another example would be Union SGT Cavanaugh having a personal goal of leading a successful bayonet charge against the Rebs.
This would add some color and variations to the situation.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do something lie, Braquemarde get's a bennie if he duel his counterpart.

Cavanaugh get's a bennie if he leads a bayonet charge
doctorduckbutter
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, giving the Heroes extra Bennies for certain goals is a great idea. Also, instead of winning by calculating points, have a set of goals per side and the person who the most goals is the victor.

Example:

Confederate

- Occupy the House at the end of round 6 (with no union presence inside)

- Destroy 50% of the Union Artillery

- Route/Destroy one unit containing a hero

- Have one intact unit at the end of round 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Showdown All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: