Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Blessed" questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scyclone
Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is swell and all, but I was looking for a 'what the rules state' interpretation, not so much of a whose side is right, happy compromise solution. I am well aware a DM can choose to have Penguins dual wielding minotaur horns as flails in a space epic to destroy the Evil Mastermind Von Raven, and his dastardly brothers.... but that isn't the point of my question Smile.

From a rules standpoint, would Champion apply to all supernatural evil (as per Deluxe's remarks), would it apply to polar counter to ones faith, or is there a denoting classification as to what "supernatural" is evil wise.

---

On a side note, anything regarding smite?
Scyclone
Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ha,

Found a post from Wiggy that expressed the same comparison, vs demons or vs all supernatural.

So it is any supernatural as per the rules.

Now if only I could find a way to avoid being ate by rattlers lol.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scyclone wrote:
Speaking of Smite, I have a question. Is it possible for a blessed to cast smite on two things at the same time?

Only if it pleases God. Otherwise, no.

That's a serious answer, by the way. The Marshal is free to augment or penalize your power uses based upon the circumstances. So, if your Holy Roller is calling upon the powers of the Lord to bring justice to the Army of Death and protect the innocent orphans in the Abbey of Tranquility then you're probably going to find things easier to cast and a lot more potent then usual. Very Happy
If you're doing it to show off for a bar of prostitutes and make your character look better than the town hero then you're probably going to take a -4 on the roll and find that your Pride is a Major sin. Wink

Regarding Champion, you seem to have found the correct answer.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Scyclone"]From a rules standpoint, would Champion apply to all supernatural evil (as per Deluxe's remarks), would it apply to polar counter to ones faith, or is there a denoting classification as to what "supernatural" is evil wise.

Unless a setting book specifically states differently, it would work on any "supernaturally evil" foe. Deadlands even notes that Holy Warrior also works on characters with AB (Black Magic), and since that uses the same criteria as Champion, I'd say the same applied there.

Scyclone wrote:
On a side note, anything regarding smite?

Depends on whether the Marshal is using the SW Deluxe rules or not. There's a free download for Deadlands Deluxified that covers using those rules with the setting...

http://www.peginc.com/shop/deadlands-deluxe-ified-pdf/

That version of Smite allows it to affect up to five targets/weapons with one casting.

www.peginc.com
catalac
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm i like the idea for that Celtic blessed and yes it is allowed if your marshal chooses (because in the end its always their decision no matter what the subject is.) in the dead lands reloaded players guide under the blessed it states divine beings of goodness are the source of your power weather it be "god Allah or who ever is the driver in your particular hallelujah hayride is."

as for bad guy miracles that is a definite yes seeing as we have the good old reverend grims. although everything goes easier with the black magic ab which is given for witches and all. it is a good idea to get the marshals guide it might seem like you can get by with the players guide but really the MG is worth it with a bunch of cool monsters tables and most importantly more deadlands story line.

and yes the blessed can be gun toting fighters. after all the book shows priests and nuns carrying guns at least twice. of course the problem is staying within your sins and to add to the problem that goes with that the blessed also require some depth since they deal with the balance of good vs evil. so role playing can be a bit fun there.

speaking of fun role playing i got a new character for the blessed named Jeremiah. he is a texan who joined the rangers when he was young to fight for Texas's independence then in the Mexican war and finally the civil war before the rangers became a law enforcement agency(as you can tell this guy has got elderly) he learned about monsters during that time but got shot in the leg in a attack by the black regiment which killed most his riding group. one of the survivors cut him a staff to help but he never recovered the use of his leg (knowledge occult and veterans of the weird west card number seven. i just love how that deepens a story line.)
so he was retired and sent back to his ranch which had grown vary big (noble) and while his three sons tried to do all the work and keep him out of it he had time for introspection. he decided that with monsters out there there was no time for war and that god was calling him to work not to kill but to help others find gods righteous cause( ab miracles, conviction) it was doing this he found his true calling was healing (knack breach birth, healer) with the kids taking care of the ranch and him being more inclined to action he headed west to spread gods word and destroy evil with his trusty Adams pistol that he no longer will use against human life(he also has code of honer and minor pacifism). so what cha guys think.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catalac wrote:
hmm i like the idea for that Celtic blessed and yes it is allowed if your marshal chooses (because in the end its always their decision no matter what the subject is.) in the dead lands reloaded players guide under the blessed it states divine beings of goodness are the source of your power weather it be "god Allah or who ever is the driver in your particular hallelujah hayride is."

Played the Irish Blessed in one session so far. Only used his powers in combat once but as the target had a 19 toughness his blessed punches did nothing. Then he slapped the heal into Lacy O'Mally
catalac
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

19 toughness... ouch. Jeremiah is of the opinion that he should start building a holy rocket launcher for the lord.
that said i hope your guy is working out for you. he sounds fun to play.
hmm i got a question. what effect would bullets i sanctified have in a fight? #gunbattle
edit: would the nasty critter that got shot act as if he had stepped on holy ground, or would it give +2 damage to evil beings weak to holy damage, or would a weak spent throwing holy water on the bullets and fasting have no effect.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you use Sanctify instead of Smite? Smite it specifically for blessing weapons, while Sanctify is specifically for blessing locations.
catalac
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanctify is permanent and seemed more appropriate seeing that the preacher came across some silver bullets he dedicated to the lord that could only be used against the abominations of the evil ones(as in he won't draw his gun on normal humans). he had a big ceremony blessing them with holy water, praying long and hard, and fasting hoping to make it holy bullets.
so there was significantly more prep time involved. i suppose we could make it smite but it would be sort of a downer to spend a week game time to get 3 rounds of goodness. (i could try to ask him to make it a permanent smite but i really doubt it. also it would be sort of bland just to get damage. i sort of liked the idea of being able to hit some critter with what feeled like the back end of going to Sunday school. plus i love it when people both good and bad have to make saving throws #gunbattle .)
probably far reaching of me but it sounded like a cool idea at the time.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How I'd rule it depends on how nice I was feeling.

Nice ruling: It counts as a pre-cast Smite. Wait until you throw down with some supernatural evil and you get a +4/+6 to your damage rolls - and it counts as a magic, holy, and silver weapon for any weaknesses they critter may already have.

Other ruling: That was a big waste of time. Sucks to be a sinner. Twisted Evil
catalac
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k awesome thanks for the advice me and the gm will hash out the details tonight.
wyrdhamster
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My older brother is going to play tonight with us, as he came with "radical preacher" idea, that means Blessed that hunts and kills Harrowed. As he is actively gunfighting characters, I make wonder about Sins Rules - and then couldn't find anything more beside the table stating the sins for Christian characters. What does sinning do to the Blessed, mechanically speaking? If there isn't any solid rules, I was thinking about -2 penalty on Minor Sins, -4 on Major and Crisis of Faith on Mortal once. Or maybe -1 for Minor, -2 for Major and -4 for Mortal, like in Shamans? What do you think about it?
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sins:
Minor: -2 to Faith rolls for a week.
Major: No powers for a week.
Mortal: No powers, ever. A quest of true redemption can restore divine support.

Blessed work just like Arcane Background (Miracles) in the core rules, except for the listed changes. The Protector entry from the core rules shows you what the consequences of sinning are. Nothing about being Blessed changes that aspect - they simply define the sins.
Jounichi
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For other religions, I took to using the sinning tables from Fire & Brimstone back in Classic. We had an Orthodox Rabbi in one group and it was a riot.

But as for DL:R edges...have you considered Flock? You basically get 5 Extras who follow you around every time you take it, and you can hold "revivals" to replenish their numbers. They could serve as groupies who follow your boxer and would die to defend him, rather than see him dirty his hands on the horrors of the Weird West.

It has terrific synergy with Leadership Edges, but that runs counter to your concept.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: