Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Classic HOE - The Reactor Power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AtomicSamuraiCyborg
Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Classic HOE - The Reactor Power Reply with quote

Hiya gents and ladies!

I'm a huge fan of junkers, but of course, the junker device rules confuse me. I'm looking at The Junkman Cometh and the Accumulated Rulings, and I'm a little turned around.

Basically, my idea is for my junker to carry his junker proton pack, ala Ghost Busters, and use it to power his devices. Basically, a big, crazy looking metal backpack with wires and lead shielding and ominous signs and lights on it. Add some spirit cables, presto, stupid amounts of G-Rays, slight chance of magical radiation poisoning and hideous mutation. All in the name of magical-science!

So, checking the accumulated rulings informs me that the minimum frame size for a reactor is 2, not 4. Awesome, much more portable now. Also, the ability to turn the reactor down to lower the power output but extend the life of the fuel is also great.

My real question is what's the difference between an atomic g-ray collector and a reactor? I thought they were the same thing, but apparently not. An atomic g-ray collector will burn a pound of irradiated ghost rock in 5 hours for 1000 g-rays, yes? But a reactor creates a self sustaining reaction, that produces square the frame size in G-rays a round. So I was wrong, obviously, and a reactor is very different. But does a reactor still require the cooling hoses and coolant, or would it be safe to wear? Well, relatively safe.
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly the difference is that one if a fancy furnace and the other is a magical fusion reactor. The furnace burns the IG quick (5 hours is consider quick right?) and dirty (hehe, pun so intended!) and the other slowly siphons the energy off the IG. Everything the reactor needs is built into it via the power. As for safe, I'm the kinda of GM that rolls for instability a lot more than other probably would (once per day plus when anything gets connected or anything connected uses power from it the first time each scene), but still, a slip could be horrid!

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
AtomicSamuraiCyborg
Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True enough; wearing a magical nuclear reactor on your back isn't the safest course of action.

But then, you already survived the Apocalypse. There's nothing safe about the Wasted West!

#gunbattle
Zombi Bobb
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other major difference is that a reactor device cannot refill G-ray batteries or packs. You need the g-ray collector to do that.

Now that being said, I personally would house-rule this. How, I'm not sure yet. I have a couple different methods. The easiest is to just say "Reactors can fill batteries that are hooked up to it," but I'm more difficult than that. I'd probably make it a side-power of existing powers, or something.
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombi Bobb wrote:
The other major difference is that a reactor device cannot refill G-ray batteries or packs. You need the g-ray collector to do that.

As long as you had a power jack as part of the extras I don't see why it couldn't be used as a portable battery/power supple...

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
Zombi Bobb
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just mean the reactor could be a battery/power supply itself, that's how it is intended to work. But strictly speaking, the only thing that can charge a battery or pack is a collector. It would be a house rule to let a reactor device recharge batteries and packs. I don't disagree with the house rule, I'm all for it, but it is a house rule none-the-less.
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There doesn't seem to be any reason in the power description to say that it can't recharge a battery. Yes it says under recharging batteries that it needs to be hooked up to a G-Ray collector, I don't think they meant that to be taken as it can only be hooked up to a G-Ray collector. Honestly it should be anything that produces non-restricted G-Rays (i.e.: not over-sized spirits and the like).

I love these debates. As much as I love JC it was so garbled. Very Happy

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
Zombi Bobb
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, but omission is not permission. What determines a "restricted" G-ray? If I can fill batteries with a reactor, why can't I fill batteries with over-sized spirit run-off? Sure, IR is gonna be really rare (unless you allow my home-made Irradiate power), but that doesn't mean it's free energy for everything.

To be fair, the work arounds aren't too difficult. Just build devices with extra jacks and have spare cabling and you're fine. But again, that may not be the point.

I personally would stick with the letter of the law and say Reactors cannot fill batteries, but then in the same breath have a house-rule like Occult Engineering TN 9 to have the power funnel from it through the collector to the battery or some such. Or make it a power synergy thing where if you know the Generator power as well, you can spend a few extra components and build the charger right into the reactor. (I love power synergy)
ShogaHin
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: power synergy Reply with quote

I personally would stick with the letter of the law and say Reactors cannot fill batteries, but then in the same breath have a house-rule like Occult Engineering TN 9 to have the power funnel from it through the collector to the battery or some such. Or make it a power synergy thing where if you know the Generator power as well, you can spend a few extra components and build the charger right into the reactor. (I love power synergy)

Sorry, that won't work. It states under the reactor power, the reactor takes up the entire frame size.. uses all slot that is. Nothing else can be done. It has power jacks equal to its frame size. I.E.... frame 2 equals 2 jacks. frame 5 equals 5....

Shoga
Zombi Bobb
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point, then my cludge is a separate device connected by spirit cable. Same deal, only not built into the reactor. A transformer or some such. I'd personally still source it in the Generator power.
ShogaHin
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: reactors and batteries Reply with quote

I was thinking that same thing. Have one of the spirit cables connected to a GRay collector then to a power strip to charge multiple batteries at the same time.

At one time I had thought to build a vehicle that ran on GRays and integrate a Gray collector into the vehicle as a power source. Then I would line up a bunch of smaller batteries, say 20gr each and they would get powered up by the collector and run the vehicle. And when my batteries for my other devices ran out, just switch them out from the vehicle. I figured if all the batteries where the same size, then I could "hot swap" them whenever I needed to.

Shoga
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: