Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Showdown Miniatures from Video Games? - Skylanders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Showdown
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trigger
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Showdown Miniatures from Video Games? - Skylanders Reply with quote

I have a question for all you Showdown experts. Has anyone tried developing miniature stats for characters in video games? The reason I ask is I run a group for teenagers and they are always talking about video games and the characters they use. I guess what I was wondering if one would to do something like this, how would you go about it and not throw everything into each character.

Attributes – Use all 5 for sure

Skills – Fighting, Shooting, Climbing (Driving and Piloting if vehicles are involved)
Any others??

Pace, Parry, Toughness – just stats

Powers – One thing I thought was to give a power or attack for each character that closely mimics the A-Attack, B-Attack, and Z-Attack per say.
Is 3 too few or too many?

Weapons – To attack with if they wield them

Anything else or other suggestions?
I don’t want to make the game too difficult with a lot of skills, powers, detail and whatnot, but enough to get a feel for each character.

Last edited by Trigger on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Trigger
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you that have kids that play video games (or you in general) and have been hooked on Skylanders, Spyros Adventure, this is what I was looking at when I first started this thread. For those who don’t know, the video game Skylanders uses miniatures that store the character’s data of each character inside the plastic miniature. You place the miniature on a “Portal of Power” and BAMM, your miniature character is in the video game. Anyways, a long story short is when you beat the game or move onto the next big video game (which a 2nd Skylanders is scheduled to come out in the near future already), What do you do with all those miniatures that you bought for your kids or yourself? Play a tabletop game with them of course.

I started on some templates for each character in the game which consists of 32 regular miniatures and some legendary miniatures. I think this would be a great way to introduce kids into tabletop gaming with a reference material that they already know and like. What kid wouldn’t like to throw magma bombs at others on the kitchen table or fly around and shoot lasers from your eyes?

Caveman
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had also started down this same line of thinking for my kids, except it was for Pokemon. However, my daughter is now hooked on Skylanders as well and I agree with the potential for using the figures once the game is solved!

The issue I ran into was that past the characters' ability scores, their "powers" were fairly common - each has a melee attack, ranged attack and area effect attack. I'm not sure what the best way to differentiate these attacks are and still keep the game simple, however at the end of the day I'd prefer to not make them all the same - i.e. electrical bolt, water bolt, fire bolt, etc...

Skylanders does use weapons and items more so then Pokemon, so I guess from that perspective it might be a little easier. I'd be curious to get some input from others to see how they would address this...
Trigger
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had our first "Design Day" with a couple young teens. We went through and started to stat out some of the Melee, Ranged and Powers. Got our scale down too which was one of the first things we needed. Things are coming along nicely.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Showdown All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: