Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new to Deadland questions?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmlizardmen
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: new to Deadland questions? Reply with quote

so what is grit and how is it determined when making a new PC?

so my game will be me as GM and my wife will be the only PC i will be playing the other people that she helps or hires to help her. i asked my wife what she wants to play and she said a "Blessed". so i have some questions...
1. why would a "blessed" be going around helping people?
2. what is a good place to start the game?
3. how hard will a "blessed" be for her to play as her first RPG?
doomblade403x
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Why wouldn't a blessed be going around helping people? The blessed bring the light of the lord to the downtrodden and hellfire and damnation to the wicked.

2. Church. It's as good of a place to start as any I spose. Just for kicks a possible scenario. Church has been let out for a half hour and everyone has gone home to be with their families. The PC is putting the hymnals away when he/she hears crying from the open rear door of the church. It's a little girl of about 7 years old. Her church clothes are disheveled and her little face is tear streaked and dirty as she prays.

"Dear God please help my daddy..."

Of course the character will be curious and investigate. The girl is Mattie Jenkins. She and her father Lenny Jenkins live about 10 miles outside of town on a farm. It's one of the most nonproductive farms in the area and most people say Lenny is crazy to try and make a living there. {He barely does...the community often helps the widower and his daughter get by.}

She says when they got home from church men were there. Daddy tried to talk to hit but they pulled him down from the wagon and began beating him. One of the men, a smelly fat man tried to pull her off behind the barn. She bit off a piece of his ear and ran as fast as she could. She heard shooting a few minutes later but she kept on running.

As luck would have it the Sheriff is out of town and the deputy is barely competent. With no other help available it falls on them to rectify the situation.

{Call it 4 outlaws with one of them older than the rest. He's Gale Foster. Notorius bank robber who has a reputation as a cop killer. before his capture he stashed 10,000 worth of Black Hills gold on the property. The rub is he went to prison for twelve years, and upon his return the scenery has changed. He's looking for a pair of stumps long blown out of the ground. The gold was buried between them. The other three men are also recently releases from jail. Fats McCready, Hoss Pickens, and Devlin Marsh. Outlaws all who settle their problems with six guns and bad attitudes.}

strap on your holy six shooter and make the wicked pay for their sins....

3. As a general rule I only play classic. In that system just about any arcane is tough to play. A gunman or something along those lines are pretty simple. Lawman is as well as long as she can understand its all about getting these boys put in jail.

Really it's gonna be all about whatever she is most comfortable with.
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following assumes you're playing Deadlands Reloaded:

Grit is added to a character's Guts rolls. It is determined by the Rank (Novice=1, Seasoned=2, etc.) as well as any Edges or being Harrowed.

1. As for the Blessed, there are many reasons they would be helping others. Most learn that more than petty evil men exist and they have been given the power of God to fight this true supernatural evil. As for just helping the common person, it just the kind of thing a Blessed would do (it is a minor sin not to). Another way to think of it is like Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The Blessed was given these abilities from the powers that be specifically to help others and fight evil.

2. I would start with the one sheet adventures. You could run them where they say they take place or move them to a part of the Weird West you think is cool or your players think is cool. I grew up in northern Utah so I usually base my Deadlands game around the City o' Gloom(Salt Lake City). You could also pick up The Flood or Last Sons to have an entire campaign ready for you.

3. Depends if the player has a problem with following the sinning rules. If a player keeps the character on the straight and narrow, the Blessed is probably the most powerful. They get practically all of their powers at the start and that might make it hard to know what power to use. The Savage Worlds power names tend to be pretty self-explanatory. An Arcane Background character is only marginally harder than a normal character, and Blessed don't even worry about power points.
SteelDraco
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Blessed are probably the easiest to justify going around and helping people. They have powers to go out and fight evil - so they do. Does she have a character concept in mind yet? If she wants to stay in one town and protect a flock, you're going to have a very different campaign than if she wants to wander the Weird West smiting evildoers.

2. I generally like to keep a starting campaign around the same area, allowing the PCs to get to know the people in that area and develop friendships/rivalries/relationships with them. If it were me, I'd probably start in the Disputed Territories, the Kansas/Colorado area. That area's nice because you can justify just about anyone showing up there. The Maze - the ruins of California - are a good place to start as well, but it's a bit more complicated and not as Western-y. Set up a town there and populate it with characters - just think about the important people in town, and throw in some simmering conflicts. Some will be Northern sympathizers, some will be Southern. Indians will probably have at least some presence, too. You could also look through some of Pinnacle's published material for a town you like that you can drop where it needs to be.

3. (I'm assuming you're talking Deadlands Reloaded, because it's the current version of the game.) Blessed are probably one of the easier arcane backgrounds, but any AB character is more complicated than a non-AB character. I'd say Martial Artists are probably easier, but that's it. Blessed don't have to track power points, which is nice. However, they have access to a LOT of different powers they can use. I'd recommend writing them up on index cards so she can find what she wants to do quickly - that's what the Buddhist holy man in my last game did, and it worked out well. Keep in mind, too, that sinning will cause problems - if she's going to do a lot of sinning her powers won't be that reliable.
Wibbs
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also worth noting that Blessed get modifiers to their attempts to use powers based on how closely their actions match their religion's beliefs. You also have minor, major and mortal sins to think about, so there are mechanics in the game which will naturally give a Blessed reason to act to help others.
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) As above, Blessed are the most likely to help people.
2) Why not have her stepping off the stagecoach having just arrived at her new "assignment"
3) Most of my "Blessed" experience is from Classic too!

I purchased this figure from Reaper;

And made her a acolyte of St. George, she has been charged by her order to go out and fight evil. Whether her sword has actually been weilded by the saint is up to you... Very Happy
Mine was.

SteveN
pmlizardmen
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou all for the help. i guess i might run a onesheet or two with her so he both get the feel for the game. then we can start our deadlands game. she said she wants to move around and help people. well she used the "heal" so i think she wants to be like Jesus. im not very religus but she is so i dont think she will do much sinning.

what if people traveling with her sin?
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you have to put a name on it, she is not being like Jesus, she is being entrusted by Jesus to act in his name. In other words, she is not creating miracles, she is requesting her superiors to intervene, praying for a miracle, if you will.

Depends on the type and how badly they sin, if it's little things that she can tsk, tsk and scold then that's fine. If they are sociopathic murderers, then she would part ways.

SteveN
pmlizardmen
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks. i have a few ideas for some people that she can help or hire. the one is a young kid that is trying to find his dad. the other is a guy that is a duelest that goes evil due to his bloodthrist and vengfulness. i also have like 4 others. i think i might make her find out the one is going evil and try to stop him later on.

should i play a PC that is always with her?
Fenderstat
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomblade403x wrote:
1. Why wouldn't a blessed be going around helping people? The blessed bring the light of the lord to the downtrodden and hellfire and damnation to the wicked.

2. Church. It's as good of a place to start as any I spose. Just for kicks a possible scenario. Church has been let out for a half hour and everyone has gone home to be with their families. The PC is putting the hymnals away when he/she hears crying from the open rear door of the church. It's a little girl of about 7 years old. Her church clothes are disheveled and her little face is tear streaked and dirty as she prays.

"Dear God please help my daddy..."

Of course the character will be curious and investigate. The girl is Mattie Jenkins. She and her father Lenny Jenkins live about 10 miles outside of town on a farm. It's one of the most nonproductive farms in the area and most people say Lenny is crazy to try and make a living there. {He barely does...the community often helps the widower and his daughter get by.}

She says when they got home from church men were there. Daddy tried to talk to hit but they pulled him down from the wagon and began beating him. One of the men, a smelly fat man tried to pull her off behind the barn. She bit off a piece of his ear and ran as fast as she could. She heard shooting a few minutes later but she kept on running.

As luck would have it the Sheriff is out of town and the deputy is barely competent. With no other help available it falls on them to rectify the situation.

{Call it 4 outlaws with one of them older than the rest. He's Gale Foster. Notorius bank robber who has a reputation as a cop killer. before his capture he stashed 10,000 worth of Black Hills gold on the property. The rub is he went to prison for twelve years, and upon his return the scenery has changed. He's looking for a pair of stumps long blown out of the ground. The gold was buried between them. The other three men are also recently releases from jail. Fats McCready, Hoss Pickens, and Devlin Marsh. Outlaws all who settle their problems with six guns and bad attitudes.}

strap on your holy six shooter and make the wicked pay for their sins....

3. As a general rule I only play classic. In that system just about any arcane is tough to play. A gunman or something along those lines are pretty simple. Lawman is as well as long as she can understand its all about getting these boys put in jail.

Really it's gonna be all about whatever she is most comfortable with.

What a great one shot. Consider this stolen sir. Good job.
doomblade403x
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fen i appreciate the larceny
gnomestress
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget - love the sinner, hate the sin. A blessed might not choose to part ways with a morally bankrupt ally. She might instead try to bring them to the light. It all depends on the character, really.

Keep in mind that if the posse/allies are smart, the blessed might not even know that bad things are going on. In our old Deadlands classic game "Sister, can you go check on the horses?" was code to the rest of the posse that bad things were about to go down. Wink
Wibbs
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomblade403x wrote:
Thanks Fen i appreciate the larceny

Good job, as I shall also be stealing it Cool
doomblade403x
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnomestress wrote:
Don't forget - love the sinner, hate the sin. A blessed might not choose to part ways with a morally bankrupt ally. She might instead try to bring them to the light. It all depends on the character, really.

Keep in mind that if the posse/allies are smart, the blessed might not even know that bad things are going on. In our old Deadlands classic game "Sister, can you go check on the horses?" was code to the rest of the posse that bad things were about to go down. Wink

We recently had something like this go down in one of our games. In that game I'm a Texas Ranger and we were jumped by about 6 desperados looking to claim an unlawful bounty on me. So six men started shooting and six men ended up defeated. One of them was alive and only had a few wounds and Mark Delaney being Mark Delaney made an on the spot decision on the side of justice.

"Atone to yer maker you bushwhackin varmint. One minute from now yer gonna be swingin."

He's a Texas Ranger so it's just what he does. I hung him all the while he gave me guff and mouthed. One of the party somehow managed to cut him down before he died. Not sure how it happened, but that act of mercy almost got us all killed.

So yeah it's a hard life being on the other side of that coin. Come to think of it that party has a heck of time tellin each other anything. From the player side and the gm side they are so fractured they don't hardly do anything as a team. It's a huge party though.
pmlizardmen
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will have to do alot of reading on blessed before i start the game.

a friend of mine was asking if he takes Knowledge "ballistics" if it would add to his shooting rolls? i think it would.
doomblade403x
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmlizardmen wrote:
i will have to do alot of reading on blessed before i start the game.

a friend of mine was asking if he takes Knowledge "ballistics" if it would add to his shooting rolls? i think it would.

Ballistics is a scientific study of bullets and trajectories. Shootin a gun and tracing the path of a travelling round are two completely different animals. I would rule against them stacking at all. Crime scene forensics knowledgwe isn't going to make you annie oakley.
pmlizardmen
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i might of used the wrong word. he wants to play a sniper like PC so i think what he ment was knowing how to acount for bullet brop and wind when aiming at a bad guy.
doomblade403x
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's basically going to be a shootin roll more or less. Now I only have the classic book, but somewhere in one of the newer tomes their might be an edge regarding long range shootin. The lawdogs supplement from classic had things to turn your weapon into a sniper rifle. Improved sights, extended barrels, and set/hair triggers.

Either way a long range gun is more or less built for range. just picking up a winchester 73 and expecting to hit at target at 600 yards is unrealistic by anyone's standards.

IE: Lonesome Dove when Gus is pinned down behind his horse by a buffalo hunter with a sharps rifle. He fired several shots and they fell short...then he adjusted to his long range site and hit his target. He didn't use any special skill to pull off the trick, his weapon was fitted with a long range site that allowed for some extended range.

Well that and he prolly took about three actions worth of aiming.
pmlizardmen
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i see. i think i have the reloaded books. i just bought them a few weeks ago. and if i was looking for the long range upgrads where would that be in my books? i did not see anything when i was looking
doomblade403x
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you with reloaded bro. Someone is bound to pipe up soon. wouldn't imagine it would be much more expensive in reloaded than it was in classic.

I know the rifle I built was exceptional qaulity, improved sights, and an extended barrel. As I recall the rifle in whole with improvements was around 70 dollars. {Bullard Express 50} When it was all said and done it was +1/+3 at long range.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: