Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What makes it worth it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Con Suite
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelly B
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: What makes it worth it? Reply with quote

So, been thinking about cons a lot lately, because I've been trying to create that master spreadsheet, and because of that I'm a little preoccupied with the topic.
I asked on our fb page how far people will travel for a con and it looks like the most definitive answer.. isn't very definate at all.

Distance doesn't matter as long as it's worth it.

So, what makes it worth it? What do you look for in a con that makes it on that always goes on your list?

What would makes it a con worth traveling any distance to you?
Folllow us on Twitter @sggames
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that's highly individualized. I don't really care about most fandom-oriented activities, but there are folks who go strictly for such things. Ditto LARPs.

Now, what will drive me away is probably more consistent with what will drive most people away. Bad organization. Too expensive. Bad hotel. No good food options. Too hot. Too noisy. Too smoky. Too rat-infested (and that's a low bar, by the way). Too crowded (it only takes being hit in the head with two boffer weapons walking down the hallway before I don't come back). Rude staff. Lines that are too long and/or don't move. That sort of thing.

I love the little touches from the MACE shows and ConCarolinas, like GMs having their schedules on the backs of their badges when they show up. That rocks.

While I suspect that's not quite what you were after, I hope it was helpful to some degree.
greyseerco
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes me save and scrape and plot and plan for a whole year to go to GenCon - despite the challenging registration system:
1) It is where the new stuff comes out or exclusive items are released- something about having a product weeks or even months in advance of everyone else, helps make the event a worthwhile attendance for Alpha Gamers like me, thus being able to steer a group in the direction of a game before it comes out. And nothing drives me to a booth faster than saying Con-only miniature.

2) It is where only certain games are played (TrueDungeon).

3) It is central enough that my many friends from across the US are willing to converge there, vs. a convention on one coast or another.

4) Its big enough that the geek-cred (AKA Bragging rights) you get for going applies to most conversations for a while.

5) There is huge support for whatever game you are most interested in. So when I was into GW the most, Games Day were the thing, now its something else and GenCon has it it spades.
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to Origins because

1. It's close (I live in Cincinnati, OH and it's in Columbus)
2. It's got a good variety of games of games, including offbeat systems like Paranoia, Doctor Who, and Pendragon (although not nearly enough of them)
3. It's a relatively cheap vacation.

One of the big turn offs for me is a convention that is too homogeneous. There's one nearby where 3/4ths of the games are Pathfinder and most of the others are d20 based games. One of the main reasons I go to conventions it to play different systems. Not just Savage Worlds, but all different systems.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
Rohan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big draw for me is that I have to be able to have fun. I don't get to play in much, I'm too busy running games for Savage, Ęther, or recently, Panzer Reich. It's pretty rare that I get to sit down and throw dice with players instead of against them.

So, as a vendor/publisher, organization is key. I can make my games fun, that's not the issue. I like when Cons are well organized, and advertised widely enough to have a good draw. Nothing irks me more than showing up to a convention that's supposed to be 400 people and having 75 show up. Bigger cons, that's not an issue, but still...if I have to go to guest/vendor relations more than 4 times through the whole Con, there's a problem.

Guests, special vendors, publishers, neat activities, speakers, demos...I love all of that stuff. If a Con has something interesting and I have the means to get there, I want to go, even if it's just me and not dragging the booth with me and posting up as a vendor.

I'm in love with these little cons put on by college gaming groups. They are generally pretty well organized, have a plethora of minions to help out everyone at the con, and have an extremely fun atmosphere. I haven't been to any of the bigger cons due to travel reasons, but we're making for them next year, come Hell or high water.

Become a fan on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Silvergryphongames

Current WIP: Wellstone City Chronicles, Puppets, and One-liners
The GIT!
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making new friends and meeting up with old friends is a big reason for me going to Cons. I've met some great people at both Origins and GenCon and that alone justifies going. Combined with all the new releases, loads of roleplaying, lots of beer, good food, lots of beer (did I mention that already) and what's not to love?

One other thing I enjoy is watching how other GMs run their games; it's never too late to learn new tricks. Oh, and because I GM so much at home it also gives me the chance to play in games rather than run them as well.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main motivator for trying out a new convention is the matter of who I know that will be there, although "being extremely close to home" is a significant factor, too.

Also, I don't know where the cut-off point is, but if a convention gets TOO BIG, that's not really a selling factor for me. I've got friends who go to DragonCon and GenCon and try to persuade me to go along, but I have no interest in going; it's not worth the hassle just to go to a HUGE CONVENTION that I can get lost in. ("Going along with friends" just isn't a strong enough motivator when I spend plenty of time running games for them as it is. Wink )

A convention could have the most awesome guests in the world, but it doesn't really mean much to me because, hey, so-and-so is awesome, and his or her work is great, but it's not really going to make a lasting impact on my life to get a signature on a book and maybe be in the same room during a con panel.

I used to get all wound up about convention art shows, spending a bunch of time painting up pieces and matting them and all that, but the end results were pretty humbling. Right now, the main interest I have in the few local conventions I visit is that it's a forum in which I can do "one-shots" of game scenarios -- many times of settings that I wouldn't be able to get my regular gaming group interested in for a full campaign.

In particular, Necronomicon is great (in St Petersburg, Florida). Originally I went because I knew some artists who went there, but as most of them narrowed down their yearly convention allowances (especially when the recession hit), and I got more involved with the gaming department.

There are a number of folks who've been running games for much longer than I have, and I've picked up quite a few useful tips, compared notes with others involved on the "crafting" side of gaming, and so forth. The Dryer family, which has run the gaming track at Necronomicon for as long as I've been going, is really friendly and accommodating, and they manage to give the GM circle an almost family-like atmosphere -- very welcoming, accommodating, and appreciative.

It helps that Necronomicon isn't JUST a gaming convention, as my wife Wendy is more into it for the "cosplay" (she makes and wears costumes) and writing groups, and she also appreciates that the hotel is right there on the bay.
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GIT! wrote:
Making new friends and meeting up with old friends is a big reason for me going to Cons. I've met some great people at both Origins and GenCon and that alone justifies going. Combined with all the new releases, loads of roleplaying, lots of beer, good food, lots of beer (did I mention that already) and what's not to love?

One other thing I enjoy is watching how other GMs run their games; it's never too late to learn new tricks. Oh, and because I GM so much at home it also gives me the chance to play in games rather than run them as well.

This. Minus the beer (for me).

I have a lot of friends I only get to see at the Cons. Plus, I GM ALL my home games so I like to play when I go to the Cons. And I like to see how other GMs run their games.
Kelly B
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all great reasons.

Do you tend to try and coordinate with family/other friends who want to do additional vacationing or is this solely "me" time for you?
Folllow us on Twitter @sggames
The GIT!
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelly B wrote:
These are all great reasons.

Do you tend to try and coordinate with family/other friends who want to do additional vacationing or is this solely "me" time for you?

No family for me but about eight of us travel together from Ontario for GenCon. Jibbajibba also flies over from England (he's from my old game group and an old school friend). We tend to do GenCon every two years so it's a pretty big deal for the gang; we always have a bloody good time!

A mate and I went to Origins last year (Jibbajibba was also able to join us) and we may look in to going again next year.
fanchergw
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't go to many cons, but would like to. My main interest would be to get in on a bunch of games - preferably Savage Worlds. I'm not much a fan of huge crowds, so I've never really been tempted by Origins, GenCon or the like.

If I could find a small to medium size con where I would have a good chance of being able to play in a bunch of SW games over the course of 3 - 4 days, that would be perfect for me. From what I've seen, it seems like Con On The Cob might fit this profile, though I don't really know.

Gordon
The GIT!
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fanchergw wrote:
I don't go to many cons, but would like to. My main interest would be to get in on a bunch of games - preferably Savage Worlds. I'm not much a fan of huge crowds, so I've never really been tempted by Origins, GenCon or the like.

If I could find a small to medium size con where I would have a good chance of being able to play in a bunch of SW games over the course of 3 - 4 days, that would be perfect for me. From what I've seen, it seems like Con On The Cob might fit this profile, though I don't really know.

Gordon

You might actually like Origins more than you realise. It really has a small, friendly feel to it and there is loads of gaming to take part in; I had a blast there last year. I just hope it survives the date change they've brought in this year.
chitownroy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with Gencon is trying to get signed up for the games I want play in. I am pretty open to different types of games but would prefer to play in Savage Worlds and HEX games for the most part. The Savage games last were filled up incredibly quick. So with that said Gencon is always a struggle on whether I should go or not. I really do not want to go and have tons of free time roaming the exhibit hall because that tends to lead to buying things I really do not need. On the flip side I really would like to see some of the people like The Git and Jibbajabba who I have gamed with in the past and had a complete blast. Gencon like any con really comes down to the people you get to meet once or twice a year and game with along with some of the other fluff like the exhibit hall and just trying out new games, at least for me.
The GIT!
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand where chitownroy is coming from on this. That said, if a few of us aren't able to get in to the registered events of our choice there may always be the possibility of playing some pick-up games. Tylermo was always the king of these; I hope he can make it to GenCon this year - it's been ages since I last saw him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Con Suite All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: