Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Table top Old West

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Showdown
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inlife9
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Table top Old West Reply with quote

I have a group during my Deadlands off week that want to play a more historical Old West table top war game. These are not my normal rpg players and they dont want magic or monsters just dust and lead shootin.

Now I have already ruled out the Gutshot rules, for being one model/ person (correct me if I am wrong, please) Everyone wants to have a gang on the table.

Savage Showdown I know most already, being a DL:R Marshall. I am not liking the cohesion rule much for a old west feeling shoot out. I know I can drop it, but then it may get crazy keeping track of things. Still I really like the system and it allows for jumping onto horses and other trait rolling stuff. Another thing is, I am not sure where to find the stats and cost of gunslinges & braves to make a "gang". One final problem is we want to fight each other fairly with no GM, and I dont know enough of Showdown to say that we can.

Then there is WH: Legends of the Old West. I no nothing of it, but it was designed to do what the group wants. However I worry it may not be as gritty fun as I am used to with Savage.

My question; does anyone have some helpful insight on this, or experience with an old west table top war game. Feel free to toss in anything that could be useful. Thanks in advance!
Tavis
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played Legends of the Old West and found that it's pretty good fun, and I've found it to be fairly gritty. If you want it to be grittier still, then simply remove Fortune Points from the 'gang leaders' and other 'hero' types.

(Fortune points are a limited number of 'saves' when a model takes a wound)

SWD: 50 Fathoms (GM)
inlife9
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavis wrote:
I've played Legends of the Old West and found that it's pretty good fun, and I've found it to be fairly gritty. If you want it to be grittier still, then simply remove Fortune Points from the 'gang leaders' and other 'hero' types.

(Fortune points are a limited number of 'saves' when a model takes a wound)

Thanks know where I can find the rules?
Tavis
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://warhammer-historical.com/acatalog/Legends_of_the_Old_West.html

There you go.

SWD: 50 Fathoms (GM)
inlife9
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome man! Thank you!
John Goff
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to use unit cohesion, you can simply buy each figure individually. You lose the discount for being part of a unit, but it would allow every cowpoke to act on his own, not worry about cohesion, and not have to make those pesky morale rolls.
doctorduckbutter
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,

I have notice that LoTOW is sold out in most places. I found Blackwater Gulch which has free rules and they seem pretty good. Enjoy.

http://blackwatergulch.com/
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cohesion would only make sense for military units, for for random pack of outlaws or whatever
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Showdown All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: