Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unit Size

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Showdown
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KaneBlaireau
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Unit Size Reply with quote

Reading through the new version of Showdown for the first time and I see a 25% point reduction for taking multiple models in a single unit. So...what is the advantage of taking more or less units if it is always a 25% reduction? Did I miss something else? Thanks!
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 25% discount per model if they go into one unit. The big drawback to having more models to a unit is that they have less mobility (due to the need to stick together per the cohesion rule) and if the unit fails its morale check, you've got a whole boatload of models that are running away from the battle. It's a tradeoff though because having several smaller units is more mobile and you lose fewer units if they start running from battle, but they will be making morale rolls more frequently (e.g. with four figures in a unit, they'll be making one every time one of them falls).

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
KaneBlaireau
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. That just seems like their is not enough to have units of more than two models. Yeah, less morale rolls, but more maneuverability more than makes up for that. I think they should break it down a bit more. Say, 2-3 is a 10% discount. 4-5 is 15%, 6-7 is 20% and 8+ is 25%.
robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaneBlaireau wrote:
Hm. That just seems like their is not enough to have units of more than two models. Yeah, less morale rolls, but more maneuverability more than makes up for that. I think they should break it down a bit more. Say, 2-3 is a 10% discount. 4-5 is 15%, 6-7 is 20% and 8+ is 25%.

While its never been explicitly stated. I've always felt that the minimum number of models in a unit should be 4.
KaneBlaireau
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems VERY reasonable, Robert.
John Goff
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I default to five per unit when I'm working with standard "riflemen/swordsman" units. Crew-served weapons I group by the standard crew (4 for a Civil War cannon, 2 to 3 for a WWI machinegun, etc.)

However, Showdown is more of a toolbox for the player to quickly stage skirmish-sized battles than it is a hard-and-fast rules set. As a result, if you want to tweak it to the most efficient point costs, it's very easy to do so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Showdown All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: