Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Edge for Pacifist Jedi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zamboni
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: New Edge for Pacifist Jedi Reply with quote

I am building some pre-gen PC's for a game I am running at GenCon. One of the characters is a pacifist Ithorian Jedi. I want him to still be interesting in combat so I was going to give him a couple leadership edges and the healing power, but I also wanted to give him an ability that would allow him to "talk down" his opponents, basically a trick using persuasion vs. the opponents smarts or spirit.

I wanted to make an edge called "Adept Negotiator" (I stole this name from the Star Wars SAGA rules) that allows him to get a +1 or +2 to his persuasion checks, but i wondered if this is too powerful.

Also, do you have any other thoughts about how to make a pacifist interesting in combat?
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must include in the rules that the player must wave there hand in front of the DM and intone a phrase to enforce his point of persuasion

"These are not he pants you are looking for"

"You will accept star bucks coupons in payment for the land speeder"
Zadmar
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zamboni wrote:
I wanted to make an edge called "Adept Negotiator" (I stole this name from the Star Wars SAGA rules) that allows him to get a +1 or +2 to his persuasion checks, but i wondered if this is too powerful.

Don't forget that Charisma is added to Persuasion and Streetwise, and there are already three edges that each give +2 Charisma. So +2 Persuasion isn't going to be very appealing, unless you add some additional benefit (like the Peace Monger edge from Sundered Skies, which gives +2 Persuasion and also allows you to affect multiple targets at once).
zamboni
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I forgot about Charisma adding to Persuasion. I will have to think about giving him one of those. Also, that Peace Monger edge sounds perfect.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Edge for Pacifist Jedi Reply with quote

zamboni wrote:
I am building some pre-gen PC's for a game I am running at GenCon. One of the characters is a pacifist Ithorian Jedi. I want him to still be interesting in combat so I was going to give him a couple leadership edges and the healing power, but I also wanted to give him an ability that would allow him to "talk down" his opponents, basically a trick using persuasion vs. the opponents smarts or spirit.

See Snake-Oil Salesman from Deadlands: Reloaded.

You can make Persuasion tests of will (versus Smarts), and get +2 to all non-combat Persuasion and Streetwise checks.
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What trick? You are using Persuasion.

SteveN
zamboni
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know that using a trick doesn't normally include Persuasion, but I thought that it would be flavorful for a jedi pacifist to be able to do the same thing as a trick but with the persuasion skill.

I was going to make it an Edge so that it wasn't too overpowered.
chillburn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not do what you're looking for with access to powers?

The Fantasy Companion has several powers that might fit the character model. Don't want to post copyrighted material, but in brief (hopefully this is OK):

Bless/Curse - gives a trait bonus/penalty to all in MBT (Battle Meditation-type power)
Confusion - Smarts or be Shaken (could be repurposed to be more "convinced" than shaken)
Pummel - knocks all targets in cone 2d6" and prone (not exactly pacifist, but does no damage, and very Force Slam-like)
Sluggish Reflexes - forces targets to take multi-action penalty for all actions (another one that could be repurposed to where the targets lose the urge to fight)
chillburn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along the same Jedi questions line:
How would you do the classic Mind Trick?
I was thinking about using Puppet but reducing the cost and making it only work for a single command.

Or maybe it could be straight Puppet, but if you try make them do something particularly violent or "evil" then dark-side rules take effect..?
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chillburn wrote:
Along the same Jedi questions line:
How would you do the classic Mind Trick?

I used a specific edge.
Jedi gets to make a Persuasion check, that ignores Charisma, has a +4 bonus, and needs to be only reasonably worded to be acceptable. The target never questions their actions.
Downside? Only works on extras.
zamboni
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Mind Trick we are using a "Use The Force" Skill roll opposed by a smarts roll. In combat it works like a Test of Wills and out of combat I rule it on the fly.

Balancing the force powers is definitely the most difficult part I have found with Savage Star Wars. Outside of that Savage Worlds it seems to go hand in hand with the action-y fun feel of Star Wars.
chillburn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern about having Force Trick or Mind Trick not be a power is that then it becomes almost too easy to use. With no power points or (since I'm using No Power Points rules) vigor roll I'd worry about it being used too much (and unless used really maliciously there's no real reason for me to rein it in).

For Force Trick I used Legerdemain from the Fantasy Companion. Basically it lets you take any action you could normally take at up to Smarts inches away (or something like that). So:

Move (small) Object - Ranged Strength roll
Mind Trick (the distract someone to look left while you go right) - Ranged Smarts Trick
Force Sense (to see who is outside the door) - Ranged Notice roll (though this one is limited to living objects as a trapping)

Not perfect, but I think it gets me what I'm looking for.
NOESKANE
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Just a thought Reply with quote

His!

Have you check'd this out?

http://www.savageheroes.com/conversions/Savage-Star-Wars-6.0.pdf

NEK
chillburn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I'm planning to use a lot of it, but wanted to do my own take on the Force (closer to SWD, with trappings). Plus I had to design a totally new AB for "Flow" users (something unique that I made up for my campaign).
zamboni
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am using tons of stuff from that document too. It is amazing, but I too am going a different direction with the Force. I would use it for an ongoing campaign, but I felt for a one shot convention game it felt a bit too rules-y to me.

#1 What I am doing is trapping the current Deluxe powers as force powers.

#2 I didn't like the idea of the PC's running out of Power Points so I am trying a thing that I remember prom playing Star Wars Miniatures, where some of the Force Users had Force Points that regenerated by 1 or 2 each round. So each PC will start combat with 3 Force Points that regenerate 1/round to a maximum of 5.

I'm planning on playtesting this next weekend so I'll see if it actually works.
chillburn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zamboni wrote:
#2 I didn't like the idea of the PC's running out of Power Points so I am trying a thing that I remember prom playing Star Wars Miniatures, where some of the Force Users had Force Points that regenerated by 1 or 2 each round. So each PC will start combat with 3 Force Points that regenerate 1/round to a maximum of 5.

I'm planning on playtesting this next weekend so I'll see if it actually works.

I'd look at the "No Power Points" optional rule from SWD. That's what I'm planning on using.

Please post how the session goes. I'm wrapping up my Savage Warcraft game next weekend (group gets to fight Deathwing and cause the Cataclysm Smile ) and then I'll be diving into my own Savage Star Wars game.
chillburn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a slightly related topic, how would folks handle a (friendly) lightsaber duel? Canon that I've read says dueling is part of training (they gotta get uber with those lightsabers somehow...) but that:
- using the Force during duels is generally not allowed (unless agreed upon earlier)
- injuring your opponent is VERY frowned upon (shows lack of control on your part).

So, short of two characters just trying disarms until one succeeds, how could this be handled?

EDIT: This is predicated on the idea that just doing non-lethal damage with a lightsaber is a bit far-fetched and not really an option within the setting.
zamboni
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you did "non-lethal damage", but flavored it in such a way that the attacker restrains himself, or stops just short of slicing into his opponent. You could say that a roll of one on the fighting die (regardless of the Wild Die) means that the character didn't stop in time and actually did some damage to his opponent.

That puts a bit of risk into. I would think enough to make it feel tense. Especially if you used the injury table on page 69 of the SWD rule book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: