Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[SPC] Stacking and Devices and Super Sorcery altogether...!

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Altissimus
Novice


Joined: 24 Mar 2012
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: [SPC] Stacking and Devices and Super Sorcery altogether...! Reply with quote

Ok, so basically I have 15 pp to spend, and I want to know if I can:

Question 1

Take

Super Sorcery 3 (9 points)
Super Sorcery 1, Device, Requires Activation, (1 point)

a) ...and then use these two together to provide a total of SS 4 that requires the Device to activate?

b) ...and use them separately, so have SS 3 through points or SS 1 through the Device?

Question 2

Then take:

Switching (4 points) (leading to Attack, Ranged)

...and then use this with the SS 3 to have 9 points of A,R, or use this with SS3 AND the device (SS1) to have 12 points of A,R that uses a device and requires activation?



(Which would then allow me 1 point left to have:

Super Skills, Shooting, Device, Requires Activation (1 point)

...with my last pp.)



So if this is allowed, would it allow me to:

Summary

a) Have SS 3 or SS 4, depending on whether I used the Device.

b) Switch up to A,R 9 pp or A,R 12 pp, depending on whether I used the Device.

c) Use the device (and have SS 1 or switch to A,R with 3 pps) or use the device (and have SS 4 or switch to A,R with 12 pps)?

(I recognise A,R has a cost of 3, so I'm talking PPs not ranks Smile)

Now my head hurts.

Hope that's all clear Smile

Thanks,
A.

ETA: Purpose of this, by the way, is not to have all my eggs in one basket, end up losing the Device and find I can't do anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Clint
Site Admin


Joined: 13 May 2003
Posts: 18132

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: [SPC] Stacking and Devices and Super Sorcery altogether. Reply with quote

Altissimus wrote:
Question 1

Take

Super Sorcery 3 (9 points)
Super Sorcery 1, Device, Requires Activation, (1 point)

a) ...and then use these two together to provide a total of SS 4 that requires the Device to activate?

b) ...and use them separately, so have SS 3 through points or SS 1 through the Device?


Well, first off, "Requires Activation" isn't an allowed Modifier for Super Sorcery, so it's not even an option (especially since Super Sorcery pretty much requires activation to use anyway).

If that is instead intended to mean "Slow Activation," the Device Modifier, that's feasible. It just means every 6-11 rounds, the level of Super Sorcery from the device would fail and have to be reactivated (which if combined with the other levels of Super Sorcery for a single power would cause them all to fail since the entire power can no longer be used).

Now, having different Modifiers on the same power effectively makes them separate powers, so it would be up to the GM whether the trappings allow for all 4 levels to be altered with a single Spellcasting roll or if each power would require its own roll.

Regardless, the points from each could stack in effect.

Altissimus wrote:
Question 2

Then take:

Switching (4 points) (leading to Attack, Ranged)

...and then use this with the SS 3 to have 9 points of A,R, or use this with SS3 AND the device (SS1) to have 12 points of A,R that uses a device and requires activation?


Switchable works off one power, while adding different different powers under the Switchable Modifier could be allowed with GM approval, there's nothing about allowing the reverse (the Switchable Modifier applied to multiple combined powers).

Theoretically, the same effect is possible by taking Attack, Ranged as the base power with Super Sorcery under Switchable, but it does still fall under GM approval.

Altissimus wrote:
Summary

a) Have SS 3 or SS 4, depending on whether I used the Device.

b) Switch up to A,R 9 pp or A,R 12 pp, depending on whether I used the Device.

c) Use the device (and have SS 1 or switch to A,R with 3 pps) or use the device (and have SS 4 or switch to A,R with 12 pps)?


Once again, the "official" answer falls to GM approval, but I don't see anything outright disallowable in it offhand.
_________________
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum