Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Clockwork" Bases for Deadlands & Wonderland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: "Clockwork" Bases for Deadlands & Wonderland Reply with quote

I've been working on some customized bases, 30mm (for Reaper "Savage Worlds" Deadlands minis) and 25mm (for kitbashed minis from various sources intended for use with Wonderland No More) with a "clockworkpunk" theme as an alternative to using plain ol' plastic generic "slotta-base" style bases, thanks to a bit of Magic Sculpt and "Instant Mold." Here are some photos for show 'n' tell so far.

Custom Homemade "Clockworkpunk" Bases - Work in Progress:

Here are examples of some of my work on custom "clockworkpunk" bases, starting with War Cast Studios "blank" 30mm resin bases (AKA "deep dish" bases), Magic Sculpt two-part resin epoxy putty, and pieces of scrap plastic.  The green plastic is from a grocery-store strawberry container that a friend gave me.

In the picture above are the 5 30mm bases I have mostly done so far, though I'm still trying to touch up gaps and figure out the best way to handle rivets.  I've used Instant Mold to make temporary press-molds (and copies with Magic Sculpt), so that I can get a better idea of what final casts would look like.  It allowed me to see what I couldn't quite make out on the originals: "super glue" has THICKNESS when it dries, and my problem with some of my rivets was that it was creating a raised area around where I'd glued the rivets down, or even that runoff was filling in some gaps such as between finely-spaced gear teeth.  

I'm still working a few things out here.  The two leftmost bases in the front row are examples of where I've tried a different route to making "rivets."  Instead of taking crumbs of putty and gluing them on, letting it cure and then filing the tops down flat, I've tried applying a "strip" of putty for a frame piece, then smaller "crumbs" of putty as rivets -- then using a flat tool to mash the edges of the "rivet" down into the strip area around it, trying for a small, round rivet, and avoiding the necessity for super glue to hold it in place.  (Also, I think the smaller rivets look and paint up better.)

25mm and 40mm Clockworkpunk Base Work-in-Progress:

I've also been working on a 40mm base (using another War Cast Studios "blank" base as a starting point), and a 25mm "cogwheel" base (using pieces of plastic sprue to make the "teeth").   The cogwheel is still a long way off, since I have to Dremel the whole thing flat on top, and figure out how to do the interior -- but it's 25mm across, and I figure that it could act as a round 25mm base on its own. I intend to use this with several of my Wonderland No More kitbash minis ... though I also plan to do some other themes such as a broken pocketwatch face for a base, a checkerboard base with mushrooms, etc. -- though some of those options veer out of the "clockworkpunk" theme (gears!) I've been mostly focusing on for the time being.

Painted Prototype Castings:

I went ahead and painted some of my "prototype casts" made with temporary Instant Molds and Magic Sculpt press-casting.  Here's a picture of some initial painting (much more washing and drybrushing and touch-up has been applied since then) of some of the casts.  The top/rear base is meant to be an "Egyptian ruins" themed base that I started working on for a Soda Pop Miniatures "Egyptian Cat Girl" mini that my friend has.  Plus, I've got plenty of Egyptian-themed minis that could use some fancier bases for the next time I run another pulp adventure vs. traps, Nazis and mummies.

Reaper "#59009 Mad Scientist (Female)" miniature (Savage Worlds / Deadlands) with Clockworkpunk Prototype Base:

(link to pictures of unpainted original mini)

Here's an application of one of the "clockworkpunk" bases, with a Deadlands miniature I painted up to put on it. Although I haven't the fine hand, eyesight or patience to do the level of painting detail this figure deserves, I am still rather happy with how nicely the miniature paints up with a modest amount of effort. Smile

I'll have to get some more of the newer Deadlands and Chronoscope minis to paint up. (While I still enjoy the old Deadlands minis, the newer ones have a better sense of consistent scale and proportion.)

I've also been using some of the War Cast Studio city (brick) street bases and wooden plank bases for Victorian-ish characters in urban settings.
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiny!
Hellfire6A
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!

None are free until all are free!
The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very cool.
Boldfist
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great bases!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: