Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Legend of Zelda: Savage World
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StalkThis
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOUBLE #gunbattle

As for the size of Bombs:

They vary slightly between games. Eyeballing it, they're probably somewhere between a big softball and a kid's soccerball.

However, Link often carries around 10-20 of them in the smallest bag, and up to 99 in the biggest one. So, I have to conclude that at LEAST 10 of them can fit in a pouch/bag that's at least semi-easy to carry. I picture them like a big orange or something. THat is, if the bomb bags aren't magic. I mean, they are made out of essentially dragon-stomach.

My personal idea, which I didn't put in the blog because it's perfectly fanfiction: BOmb bags constrict, keeping bombs really really sqished together, but they don't explode because they're inside teh Dodongo skin.

EDIT: I've updated the Magic post with a classification of the powers into virtues. The ones with -- are ones that either I cant classify, and will either be cut, or utilized if I ever get my hands around the "Dark" magic idea...

EDIT2: I'd like to hear thoughts on what kind of Plot Point Campaigns you'd all like to see. I'm currently kicking around a bunch of not even half-formed ideas, and my top contenders are

- In the Adult Timeline (ie. Wind Waker timeline), after Hyrule floods and the Triforce returns to the Sacred Realm, the Seal once placed on the Four Sword keeping Vaati inside it begins to weaken, causing massive storms to whip through the Great Sea. Can the PCs discover the cause of the island-wrecking Storms and, when they inevitably release Vaati (or he is released), can they stop him before his powers sink what's left of the world? essentially FSA in the Adult Timeline.

-The Hero of Time has been defeated by the Dark King Ganondorf. Zelda, seizing an oppurtunity as Ganondorf grasped the completed triforce, casts him into the Dark Realm, where he relishes in his power. Slowly, labourously, Hyrule Rebuilds. Sages return to their people, and life slowly returns to normal. Until Ganons malice begins to seep into the light world, and people begin disappearing... Essentially the Seal War.
77IM
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) How do you categorize the spells into the 3 virtues? I've always thought of Power as largely offense, Courage as largely defense/healing, and Wisdom as largely utility/movement/divination type spells.

Of course we don't have a lot of lore to go on. Magic in the series is pretty wishy-washy and can do whatever effect is needed for the plot. So one thing you could do is say, that you can learn powers from another virtue but you must be 1 rank higher than normal, or they cost 50% more power points, or something.

2) The campaign idea I've always liked is: Every 300 years or so, Ganon is fated to return and menace Hyrule. A daughter will be born to the royal family, to be named Zelda (as all such daughters are), and a hero will emerge, named Link.

This time, the people have not forgotten this pattern. So when the time comes around and monsters are on the rise, the daughter is born, but the hero is nowhere to be seen. The royal family decide to be a bit proactive and commission adventurers (the PCs) to go looking for him, so he can tidily fulfill the prophecy and defeat Ganon with minimum bloodshed and destruction. (They are tired of Hyrule Castle crumbling into ruins.)

So in a strange reversal, the PCs have to find Link, who is just a boy. One advantage of this scenario is that it can be set basically at any time during the history -- you could even pick and choose which races and so forth to include, without getting into too much detail about when this is occurring. I'd probably have it occur long after Link's Adventure so that I can insert whatever sort of interim history I feel like.

-- 77IM
StalkThis
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally: high damage or spells that do little other than do damage are "power", as well as a few usefull powers. Wisdom is mostly healing/defense, with a few powers that are highlyutilitarian. Courage tends to be powers that merely enhance current things, or still has the caster rely on his own self.

At the moment, there is no penalty for taking powers out of your own virtue. I didn't want to make it so every spellcaster felt obligated to make their guy the same. I'm ruminating on ways to make it different.

On the campaign Idea: That's...very interesting. That's definitely made it inot my top ten ideas.
Edgeworth
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StalkThis wrote:
Boomerang: I made teh range the same as the Slingshot (5/10/20), and changed it to d8 agility to catch. I really have no problem making it more damaging. In LA isn't it the most powerful weapon?

Yeah, it's powerful. In Link's dreams! Wink

I think those Virtues are all right, not the least because
77IM wrote:
Magic in the series is pretty wishy-washy and can do whatever effect is needed for the plot.

but I do have two things I'd like to point out about the magic in Huryle.
1)
Quote:
Backlash: Whenever the caster rolls a 1 on his Spellcasting die, he is Shaken, and he takes a -2 penalty to Spirit checks to recover. This can cause a wound. If he rolls snake eyes, he is Shaken and takes 2d6 Damage. A successful Spirit roll can half this damage.

I'd cut out the "A successful Spirit roll can half this damage." Just to keep the play more fast. 2d6 Isn't that much damage anyhow (although combined witht that Shaken result, the character will probably take a wound.

2) I can't find the quote now, but I could've swore I read earlier on your blog that "Magic is common in Hyrule". In my experience that is not so. Sure, there are always some witches, warlocks, wizards or other spellslingers, but they're a minority. Even most magical items are locked up in dungeons.

Back to the races:

Sheikah and Fairies:
If used as PCs, these stats are perfect. However, I'm not entirely sure if these races should be playable. Sheikahs are those who work their magic in the shadows, away from the prying eyes (such as a PC Zora who's Curious) and Fairies... well, they just don't do anything. If they're alone, they just float around and heal random heroes. If they're not alone, chances are they are some Kokiri's companion. In my conversion, Kokiris had automatically a fairy which gave them bonus to Common Knowledge and was a part of their character.

Hylians are exactly as I had statted them (which means I'm fine with them). Am I reading this right; The Hylians will have 10 PP to use for magic items/Spin attack/etc. even if they do not take Arcane Background?

The quick summary of the adventure I had in my mind:

"The Gerudo King and his people has defeated the Royal Knights. Castle Town is under Ganondorf control, evil creatures are rising everywhere, the King's dead and the princess is missing. Will the people of Hyrule survive these dark ages?"

The campaign would begin as doing what jobs would be available, protecting those who cannot protect themselves etc. After a while Impa contacts the PCs and sends them in epic quest to save the princess, which is in reality just a diversion for Ganondorf. Takes place in the seven year-period in which Link's in the Chamber of Sages.
StalkThis
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic; The Spirit roll was ported over from the Miracles background. As magic seems a bit divine, I thought it was appropriate.

I think the quote about magic was to underscore that Hyrule is a very magical place. Living Gods like the Great Deku Tree and Jabu[n]-Jabu grace teh earth, Poes and zombies roam...

Races:

Sheikah: I think the sheikah are both popular and populous enough (being in quite a few games) to warrant a write-up.

Fairies: I built these because a friend wanted a fairy character, and then he changed his mind. I think it's still...plausible to play a fairy, especially one that could be a guardian or c ompanion to another player.
Edgeworth
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StalkThis wrote:
Magic; The Spirit roll was ported over from the Miracles background. As magic seems a bit divine, I thought it was appropriate.

I'm with you with the divine nature of magic, not just my favorite mechanic. Snake eyes don't come up that often anyway.

Quote:
Sheikah: I think the sheikah are both popular and populous enough (being in quite a few games) to warrant a write-up.

I've had hard time believing that Sheikah are a race since whenever they are present, they are scarce in numbers. I think they are more likely to be "Chosen Ones" or a single family, thus better fitting for a role of a mysterious NPC than that of a PC. Of course this logic is fanfic because they are stated to be a race (and chosen by the goddesses', and a family, etc).

More importantly, in every game they appear in, the Sheikah are NPCs. Not in a way that a random Goron or a Deku is, but in that way that they are important, singular characters who have their own role to play in the story which cannot be played by the player. I'm having troubles trying to phrase it better, but I'll try: I wouldn't let anyone play a Sheikah for the same reason I wouldn't let anyone play the King of Gerudo.

Also, a huge factor why Sheikahs are popular, is that they are mysterious. I prefer not statting them and let them remain mysterious. After all, a wise man once said: "Once you stat it, they kill it".

Although, I could see a campaign where all the players are Sheikah. They'd have to work in a team under the supervision of a grumpy old Elder Sheikah and maybe they would be sent behind the enemy lines just to find out that the Royal Family has a mole and they've been compromised. Barely surviving an ambush, the unit has to rely on their cunning and lootage skills to get their hands on the gerudo's nuclear weapons before it's too late to save the preside... The King. Err...

Quote:
Fairies: I built these because a friend wanted a fairy character, and then he changed his mind. I think it's still...plausible to play a fairy, especially one that could be a guardian or c ompanion to another player.

I could see someone wanting to play a fairy and I'd be ok with it, but the player would have to realize what he's getting into. The fairy's combat options are severy limited and they're not super stealthy either since, y'know, they're pretty shiny and make funny noises when they fly.
StalkThis
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Fairies aren't the most combat effective races.

Which is why the guy changed his concept to "An Old Man" like in the original games Razz

As a side note. I've added some items (and I'll be updating that post periodically) and the framework for monsters (same)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: