Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stats for 1920's early '30's cars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad monkey
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Stats for 1920's early '30's cars Reply with quote

Our GM is running a SW version of Larry Correia's Grimnoir Chronicles "Hard Magic". For some sample chapters:

http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/online-fiction/

1930's with magic/superpowers. We work for the Spainish gang in Chicago. Been pretty damn fun so far, getting to meet Al Capone and Elliot Ness. Sootouts with Bugsy Malones mob and now going to war with a Chinese Tong.

My problem is now that we got some money the players are wanting to buy vechicles and up grade them. Weapons I can find stats on(what can I say, I like guns)cars not so much. Does anybody have a link to help me out , pleeeaaase?
kreider204
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about any free sources, but Thrilling Tales has lots of 1930s vehicle stats.
chillburn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try http://carspector.com/

They actually have cars back to the Ford Model A/K/T and you can do a side-by-side comparison with any other car. I tried comparing it to a 2000 taurus (about the most generic sedan there ever was) and looked at ratios of mass (to figure out toughness) and speed/power (to figure out speed).

1908 Model T vs. 2000 Taurus:
http://carspector.com/comparison/020271,032028[/b]
operations
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fast! Furious! Fun! method? Just use the modern cars in the core, and give them a lower top speed/acceleration but more toughness. They were slower, but took a beating and still worked.
Pariah74
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

operations wrote:
The Fast! Furious! Fun! method? Just use the modern cars in the core, and give them a lower top speed/acceleration but more toughness. They were slower, but took a beating and still worked.

Actually, I wouldn't even worry about Top Speed, and would just lower the Acceleration and raise Toughness. I don't think the top speed of the cars listed in the core is actually what they can do flat out.
The sports car's top speed is listed as 56" That's 336 feet in 6 seconds. 3360 in a minute, and 201,600 feet an hour, which comes to 39mph. Even a Ford Taurus could easily double that speed flat out. I'm pretty sure that speed is the "combat" speed of the car, which wouldn't really matter for older cars compared to new ones. There's only so fast you can drive in a chase scene. (And who is counting 56" off anyway?) It really only matters for a single modifier in the Chaise rules.

As far as the Toughness, I would keep it the same but add an Armor value to it, since the bodies of those old cars are essentially just steel.

I think for my games, unless it really focused on the car, I would just use the Mid-Sized Car, and the Sports Car numbers, and add some Armor to them and forget about it.
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that the Savage Suzerain, a Licensed companion to Savage Worlds, book called Noir Knights has some stats for a couple of cars. I alas do not have the book with me so I can't relay the stats (not sure I'd be allowed to anyway) to you. If you can pick up that book, that basically is the setting you're looking for.
mad monkey
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Very Happy I got the weekend to come up with the stats. I think the Fast/Furiuos way is the one to go. This way I'll save the GM some headaches. Wink
Sadric
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres the pulp gear toolkit pdf, too. I think there were stats for such vehicles, but I guess they are made by the FF-way.

Looked at it- the most of the vehicles inside are military vehicles, so not really worth buying it for the Sports car and the Pikup truck that seems usefull vehicles for your setting.

But of course, the twu pulp toolkits could be usefull for every pulp game. Smile
mad monkey
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Military vechiles..hmmm....I could really use a armored car for our "Hate Truck". Very Happy I think my character will be on the lookout for some army surplus armored cars, maybe cross the border and scarff a Canadian one. Wink
tonyngc
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.paper-dragon.com/1939/automobiles.html
The Dirty 30's site is a great resource.
RockabillyRebel
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am going to be running a campaign soon where vehicles are pretty damn important. (Lots of Hot Rods) To keep things both simple yet fairly accurate; I keep the toughness presented in the Vehicles table.

Now wayyyy back before Deluxe and Explorer's edition, there used to be a conversion rule in the first hardback, where you would take the real world's vehicle top speed in miles per hour, divide by 2.5, and that got you the top speed in Savage Worlds.

However that didn't cover the acceleration. So I made my own rule for it, but it required a little research. I normally check this website http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ but that may not be that useful to you since this site only covers post 1945 Vehicles. Anyways... I take their 0-60 . Now I take 60 and divide that by their 0-60. Take that and multiply it by 2.4 (formula explained here). There's our acceleration.
Using this.. A 1954 Chevy Bel Air that has a top speed of 85 mph, and a 0 to 60 of 16.9 seconds has a top speed of 34, and an acceleration of 8.5, which we'll round up to 9.
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Stats for 1920's early '30's cars Reply with quote

mad monkey wrote:
Our GM is running a SW version of Larry Correia's Grimnoir Chronicles "Hard Magic". For some sample chapters:

http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/online-fiction/

1930's with magic/superpowers. We work for the Spainish gang in Chicago. Been pretty damn fun so far, getting to meet Al Capone and Elliot Ness. Sootouts with Bugsy Malones mob and now going to war with a Chinese Tong.

My problem is now that we got some money the players are wanting to buy vechicles and up grade them. Weapons I can find stats on(what can I say, I like guns)cars not so much. Does anybody have a link to help me out , pleeeaaase?

Our forthcoming Showdown setting G-Men & Gangsters (hopefully out in March) contains stats for armored vehicles, including weird science ones. Set in 1936 America that has been sundered into separate nations, and the gangsters are still going strong. Ness is dead, Capone is the virtual crimeboss of Chicago. Oh, and we have magic, superpowers, and weird science. Smile
Lustvig
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Aint' that the 23 skidoo! Reply with quote

How odd!

I am just finishing up my conversion notes for TSR's old Gangbusters game. I am writing it up as a play aid so the GM can run a Gangbusters module with my one-sheet of stat conversion and play on-the-fly.

And pinnacle's doing a Roaring 20s game.

Ya gotta alotta moxie, see? An youse guys and dames anin't heard the last of me. Bring yer heaters to da gin mill and get ready to do the Lindy.
Contributing author, “D6 Adventure Locations” and “D6 Fantasy Creatures”; copy editor “Darwin's World 2nd edition”; RPG Director for Metro Detroit Gamers 2007-2010; Founder of Western Area Role Players in 1987 at Western Michigan University.
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Aint' that the 23 skidoo! Reply with quote

Lustvig wrote:
And pinnacle's doing a Roaring 20s game.

If you're referring to G-Men & Gangsters, then TAG is doing a Roaring 20s game. Only set in the 30s. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: