Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bayou Vermilion..Immoral yes...Illegal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OhMyGodItsShawn
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Bayou Vermilion..Immoral yes...Illegal? Reply with quote

Bayou Vermilion is suspected of using Undead as a labor force to Build their Railroad.
I know it's immoral but is it Illegal? And if it is illegal then is someone (other then the Natives) trying to stop him?

thanks
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Illegal" is an odd term for the Weird West (or even the Old West), since so much of the law is determined by whoever holds the power in the place you happen to be. Because BV owns their rail line and the right-of-way on either side of it, they're pretty much free to determine what the "law" is where they work.

So, using walkin' dead to lay track isn't any more "illegal" than a huckster dealing out hexes. There aren't any official laws against it. But both of them could still prompt an attack (or a hangin') by "concerned citizens" (i.e., a pitchfork-waving mob).

In effect, anyone who doesn't like it is trying to stop them. This could include, but isn't limited to: the Agency, Texas Rangers, other Rail Barons, Order of St. George, etc. That's why BV keeps the walkin' dead away from populated areas (for the most part), yet continues to use them as much as they please.
Marshalonwheels
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bayou Vermilion..Immoral yes...Illegal? Reply with quote

OhMyGodItsShawn wrote:
Bayou Vermilion is suspected of using Undead as a labor force to Build their Railroad.
I know it's immoral but is it Illegal? And if it is illegal then is someone (other then the Natives) trying to stop him?

thanks

no one really "suspects" BV of using undead except for that crazy rag in Tombstone and if decent folk have it it's papers for the outhouse (i.e polite society does read it....in front of other folks) is it illegal yes it has been illegal to traffic the Devil from America's founding (according to a law class discussion around Halloween) and is still today. you could never prove it though...

BV would never be charged with it though the TXR's have a Special Batch of Shut the hell up waiting for that to leak out and if they have to hand deliver mugs of it you bet they will #gunbattle
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bayou Vermilion..Immoral yes...Illegal? Reply with quote

Marshalonwheels wrote:
BV would never be charged with it though the TXR's have a Special Batch of Shut the hell up waiting for that to leak out and if they have to hand deliver mugs of it you bet they will #gunbattle

Thank you. That was awesome, and I needed the laugh today. Laughing
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bayou Vermilion..Immoral yes...Illegal? Reply with quote

Marshalonwheels wrote:
it has been illegal to traffic the Devil from America's founding (according to a law class discussion around Halloween) and is still today.

Are we talking regionally or locally? I seem to remember some laws from the colonial days that carried over in states and/or local municipalities, but I don't recall any Federal Statute that states it is illegal to "traffic with the Devil" or any similar phrasing. Do you have any other references?

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH
Crumbs
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bayou Vermilion..Immoral yes...Illegal? Reply with quote

newForumNewName wrote:
Marshalonwheels wrote:
it has been illegal to traffic the Devil from America's founding (according to a law class discussion around Halloween) and is still today.

Are we talking regionally or locally? I seem to remember some laws from the colonial days that carried over in states and/or local municipalities, but I don't recall any Federal Statute that states it is illegal to "traffic with the Devil" or any similar phrasing. Do you have any other references?

Probably not since the bill of rights.
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bayou Vermilion..Immoral yes...Illegal? Reply with quote

Crumbs wrote:
Probably not since the bill of rights.

US Code. There is more to Federal Law than the Bill of Rights.

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH
MGibster
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some states have laws against the desecration of corpses. I think those would be applicable.
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MGibster wrote:
Some states have laws against the desecration of corpses. I think those would be applicable.

Indeed. However, that wasn't the question that I asked.

MGibster
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newForumNewName wrote:
MGibster wrote:

Indeed. However, that wasn't the question that I asked.

I think if you thought about it you'd find that I did answer your question. I'll expand on my answer though.

There is no law in the United States that directly addresses the exploitation of the dead for labor purposes. So the answer to your question is no; it is not illegal to use undead to build a rail road. As most people in the Deadlands setting do not believe in zombies, there are unlikely to be any laws regarding the subject in either the USA or the CSA. However, there are laws against desecrating corpses. An enterprising lawman would most likely use that or some similar law in order to charge BV with a crime.
SilasWrathStrike
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, if they're not getting PAID, then THAT could be illegal...

Fair wages for zombies!
GranFalloon
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilasWrathStrike wrote:
Of course, if they're not getting PAID, then THAT could be illegal...

Fair wages for zombies!

"What do we want?!"
"Brains!"
"When do we want 'em?"
"BRAINS!!!"

EDIT: ergg... sorry about the thread necromancy (no pun intended). I forgot I was searching for something in particular, and got lost reading old posts.
Marshalonwheels
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bayou Vermilion..Immoral yes...Illegal? Reply with quote

newForumNewName wrote:
Marshalonwheels wrote:

i think the point that she was making is straight up "traffic with The Devil" (notice the capital the and Devil) a criminal offense (i assume under English Common law?) and although spectral evidence is inadmissible now, it has never been said you can no longer charge someone with that offense. i wish i could be more help, frankly law isn't my strong suit thus i have since changed majors

the other point related to this is Freedom of Religion doesn't save your butt if you're religion causes direct harm to another so trafficking with The Devil may get you tied up in other matters

again not saying it hold up in court or that anyone would charge you with this now just that it hasn't been spelled out you aren't allowed to anymore

in deadlands Spectral evidence may still be in admissible in this time period
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: