Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Womens' Suffrage Movement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XcomSquaddie
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Womens' Suffrage Movement Reply with quote

My group is about to participate (ie "manipulate") a mayoral election in their town. My question is do women have voting rights yet?

The town of Eldritch is located in Eerie County, Colorado, in the Disputed Lands.
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Wikipedia, "Women's suffrage" article:

Quote:
In 1850, Lucy Stone organized a larger assembly with a wider focus, the National Women's Rights Convention in Worcester, Massachusetts. Susan B. Anthony, a native of Rochester, New York, joined the cause in 1852 after reading Stone's 1850 speech. Women's suffrage activists pointed out that blacks had been granted the franchise and had not been included in the language of the United States Constitution's Fourteenth and Fifteenth amendments (which gave people equal protection under the law and the right to vote regardless of their race, respectively). This, they contended, had been unjust. Early victories were won in the territories of Wyoming (1869)[52] and Utah (1870), although Utah women were disenfranchised by provisions of the federal Edmunds–Tucker Act enacted by the U.S. Congress in 1887. The push to grant Utah women's suffrage was at least partially fueled by the belief that, given the right to vote, Utah women would dispose of polygamy. It was only after Utah women exercised their suffrage rights in favor of polygamy that the U.S. Congress disenfranchised Utah women.[53] By the end of the nineteenth century, Idaho, Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming had enfranchised women after effort by the suffrage associations at the state level.

Given Colorado was an early adopter in the real world, and in Deadlands we tend to do away with these sorts of issues (see racism), I'd say it's likely most of the West embraced suffrage by 1879.

While not stated outright, I'd say it's also implied by the sidebar, "The Fairer Sex," on page 25 of the Deadlands Player's Guide.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question.

Since sexism (like racism) is a a personal failing in the West, instead of a societal norm, I would say "Yes, except on the National level." But, do what works best for your games.
XcomSquaddie
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Thanks guys.
Vikki_Felde
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Women in the West Reply with quote

Honestly, several people in our gaming group were excited to play Deadlands because of the equality of men and women in that setting. More historically inspired games need to do this because the number of female gamers keeps growing! I am playing a female Deputy Marshal in Deadlands and loving it! : )
XcomSquaddie
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While prepping for the game last night, I remembered that "Rain o' Terror" featured the voting for the California independence referendum.

The book contains a section with how the PC's can participate in and manipulate (legally or otherwise) an election.

[/img]
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the ladies should be a mad sciencetis and invent a ghost rock powered rocket pack and be suffra-jett's grand mother
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: