Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Kerberos Club] Super Powers Errata

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: [Kerberos Club] Super Powers Errata Reply with quote

I got the Kerberos Club book for Christmas, and I am loving it! It’s going to be a tough call for me to decide between this and Space: 1889 when the time comes to start my next Savage Worlds campaign.

However, I have noticed that some of the stats, points, and powers don’t quite add up right for some of the sample characters in the books.

I'd post this on the Arc Dreams forum, but they don't seem to have a spot for the SW version just yet.

Right now, I’m only checking on derived statistics and power point values. I’m not going through them with a fine-enough toothed comb to see if all of their Traits are correct for their XP level.

Here’s the errata that I’ve found, and my suggested fixes.

Maeve O’Connell
Attack, Ranged: The point value is correct, but it should be pointed out that this power covers a Large Burst Template.

Dr. Archibald Monroe
Super Skills: He’s spent 5 points on Super Skills, but has only advanced skills 9 steps. He can advance skills by 10 steps for 5 points. For the sake of spending that last Super Skill point, I’d increase his Climbing another step to d12.

Lucas Moreland
Super Edge: This power provides 6 Super Edges (12 points), but is a Device, which decreases the cost of a power by 1 per 5 points or part thereof. This power should only cost 9 points, not the 11 points they’ve spent.
Super Skill: He spent 10 points on this power, but it should only cost 4. Mr. Moreland has advanced skills by 11 steps, which would normally cost 6 points (1 power point per 2 skill points). Since it’s a Device, its cost is reduced by 2. Since he’s only used 11 out of 12 skill advances, I’d suggest the spare one be added to increase his Investigation to d10.
Spare Points: Lucas Moreland has 8 more power points to spend. I'd spend 4 of those points to add the Danger Sense modifier to his Awareness power. Another 2 points could be spent adding the Mind Rider modifier to his Mind Reading power. The final 2 points work with Fearless, making the Great Detective truly unshakeable.

Night Hag
Armor: The point value is correct, but it should be pointed out that this power has the Partial Protection modifier.
Attack, Melee: The point value on this power is correct, but only if you reduce the damage from +2d6 to +1d6. If the power is to remain at +2d6, the cost should be 4 points. Also, the AP for this power should be 2 instead of 1. The AP modifier uses increments of 2.
Invent: The Night Hag doesn’t meet the Attribute or Skill requirements to have the Invent power. I’d swap this power for 1 level in Super Skill, and use the 2 skill points to boost her Fighting from d6 to d10 (further increasing her parry to 10).

“Stony” Joe Smithson
Armor: His Armor power should only cost 6 points instead of 8 points.
Attack, Melee: His Melee Attack power should only cost 5 points instead of 6. Also, the AP for this power should be 2 instead of 1.
Growth: Since his Growth power has the Monster modifier, it’s always on. That means his Toughness is also always boosted. His Toughness should be 19 (6).
Spare Points: “Stony” Joe has 3 more power points to spend. For the sake of not changing him too much, I'd probably just spend those 3 points on Super Attribute, increasing his Strength to d12+6.

Mr. Leon
Illusion: His Illusion power should cost 8 points, not 1.
Super Attribute: His Super Attribute power should cost 4 points, not 8.
Debt Points: Mr. Leon has spent 3 more points than he has. The easiest fix is to drop his Parry down to 4 points (+6 Parry) and his Super Attribute from 4 to 3. Thisreduces his overall Parry to 11 and his Smarts to d12+2, which are still quite impressive.

The Turk
Super Skill: The Turk has spent 7 points on Super Skill, but has only advanced skills by 9 steps. He should have up to 14 skill advances for 7 power points. My fix would be to reduce his Super Skill to 5 points, which is all he’d need for 10 skill advances, and I’d put the other skill advance in Games of Skill, thus increasing it to d12+5.
Spare Points: The Turk has 2 more power points to spend. I’d give him 1 level in the new power Omni Super Skill with the Training trapping, to further reflect his wide breadth of experiences.

The Elephantine Man
Fear: His Fear power should cost 3 points, not 2.
Super Skill: Since he’s spent 1 point on Super Skill, his Stealth can be advanced by 2 steps instead of just 1. Since he has a 1-point deficit due to his Fear power, I’d just drop this 1-point power to make up the difference (reducing his Stealth back to a still-respectable d8 ).

Little Hand
Attack, Ranged: Her Ranged Attack power should cost 11 points, not 12.
Spare Points: Little Hand has 1 more power point to spend. I’d give her another level in Super Skill, boosting both Lockpicking and Stealth by one more die type each (to d10 each).

The Face
Super Skill: The Face has spent 5 points on this power, which gives him 10 skill advances. He’s only used 5. I’d reduce this power to 3 points, giving him 6 skill advances, and use the extra advance to boost his Persuasion to d12+6.
Spare Points: The Face has 5 more power point to spend.

The Freak
Altered Form: The Freak has spent 10 points on this power, when it should cost 13. The easiest fix to keep this a 10 point power is to reduce his Reach from 11” to 8”.
Attack, Melee: The Freak has a Large Burst Template melee attack. This is unusual, since adding a template to a melee attack isn’t one of the listed modifiers. As a GM, I’d probably allow it since he has a rubbery body. He just flails around with his elastic limbs and hits everything around him. Even though it’s technically not by the rules, it still works. A better, in-rules fix would be to tweak this down to just +2d6 damage, and spending the spare points on things like Fear (he is terrifying to behold) and Super Edges -- giving him Sweep and Improved Sweep to re-create the concept of him flailing his rubbery limbs to hit everything around him.

Better Edit for the Freak's Powers:
Altered Form (Malleable Skin and Bones):
Fall-Proof, More Elastic 8, Requires Activation; Reach +9”, +4 armor vs. kinetic attacks; 11 pts.
Attack, Melee (Elastic Limbs): Str+2d6; 4 pts.
Energy Control, Kinetic (flailing rubbery limbs): 2d6 MBT; 2 pts.
Fear (Facial Contortions): 3 pts.

Saurian Survivor
Invent: This is listed as being a level 8 Invent Device, but given the point cost (29) I think it’s supposed to be level 18. That makes sense because a level 18 Invent power would cost 36 points, reduced to 29 points by the Device modifier (-1 per 5 points of total cost). Furthermore, given that the Vats (her Invent Device) are described as being ‘huge cisterns,’ this power should probably have the new Massive modifier applied to it. That brings the cost down another 2 points to 27. Come to think of it, if the Vats are entirely immobile and locked below ground, maybe these points would best be spent on Headquarters? Without engaging in such a complete rewrite of the Saurian’s powers, though, I’d just spend those 2 points to bring her Armor power to level 3. That brings her Toughness to 15 (6).

Her Sister’s Keeper
Mind Control: For only 3 points, Her Sister’s Keeper can only control one mind, not two. To control two minds, this power would cost 5 points.

The Living Marvel
Immunity: This power adds up correctly only if you add the Requires Activation modifier to it.

Lost Jupiterian
The Jupiterian’s Toughness should be 14. It seems that the bonus from the Brawny edge wasn’t included.

Man for All Ages: The Man
Duplication: His Duplication power is given as 15, but since he can create 2 duplicates it should only cost 8 points. His duplicates don’t necessarily follow the rules for the power (they are Wild Cards and have different abilities from him), so perhaps they allowed for some sort of modifier to cover that.

Man for All Ages: The Descendant
Stun: His stunning mind blast should cost 4 points, not 5. You can either drop the Smaller (Small Burst Template) modifier, or spend the extra point on Super Attribute to boost is Spirit to d8.

The Conflicted Magus
Super Skill: He has 2 ranks in Super Skill, which means he can increase skills by 4 steps. He’s only increased skills by 2 steps. Add the 2 remaining points to the skill he’s already boosted, and increase his Spellcasting to d12+3.

The Rogue Mesmerist
Super Skill: He has 1 rank in Super Skill, which means he can increase skills by 2 steps. He’s only increased skills by 1 step. Add the remaining point to the skill he’s already boosted, and increase his Persuasion to d12+6.

The Gentleman Adventurer
Super Edges: The Gentleman Adventurer has used his Super Edge power to acquire Fleet Footed, which is not a Combat Edge. My suggestion is to drop that and give him Marksman.

The Oriental Mastermind
Attack, Melee: This power should only cost 8 points, not 9. The AP should be 2, not 1. With the extra power point, just give him another Minion.
Super Skill: He has spent 5 points on this power, but has only increased skills by 6 steps. I’d use the other 4 points to boost his Notice to d10 (2 points) and his Knowledge (Occult) to d12 (2 points).

Last edited by SavageGamerGirl on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:07 pm; edited 12 times in total
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the sample characters are done.

Those characters and powers that are not listed add up correctly, or just didn't have power point costs provided.

If there's any interest, I'll go through and double-check some of the devices with point costs as well.
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found a few artifacts left over from previous versions of the book. They're not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it might confuse some folks.

The errata listed in this post is a little more nit-picky, and have more to do with fluff than mechanics. None of these issues are at all game-breaking.

Pg. 205, the Faerie Fascination Hindrance
There’s a typo in the description of this Hindrance. In the first sentence of the second paragraph, change “temporarily blind or death” to “temporarily blind or deaf.”

Pg. 219, first paragraph
This paragraph references another game system by mentioning that all the characters were built with a starting point total of 250 points.

Pg. 253, first paragraph
This paragraph references another game system by mentioning the Lost Jupiterian’s “ten Body dice.”

Also relatively minor instances, there are a few cases where a character’s descriptive text doesn’t quite match their game stats. These might just be cases where an exact conversion to Savage Worlds wasn’t possible due to differences between systems.

Maeve O’Connell
Her fluff text says she can control 8 faerie minions, when her power only gives her 5.

Kennebi Meti
Kennebi’s description mentions two beautiful twin servants, Gi and Geb. He doesn’t have any power or Edge that would give him two faithful servants, but for an NPC not everything needs to be accounted for anyway. Perhaps Gi and Geb aren’t significant enough to cost Kennebi anything.

Ben Bell
According to his description Ben Bell can lift 20 tons, but his Strength is only d12+2. The minimum Strength required to lift 20 tons using the SPC rules is d12+7.

The Lost Jupiterian
His description says that he can “easily perform multiple actions,” but he doesn’t have any powers or Edges that would allow for that.

The Rogue Mesmerist
The Rogue Mesmerist is said to have a power that compels an opponent to thrash around and hurt himself. He doesn’t have a power that can do that, except for maybe Stun. The only problem with that is that his Stun power’s trapping is “You Are Feeling Sleepy.” That doesn’t seem to fit the “thrashing” concept.
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pg. 151, the description of the Atlantean invasion
In the second sentence of the last paragraph of the description of the Atlantean invasion, it say "By the end of 1871 the first Anglo-Atlantean war is ended..."

The war started in 1879, so that 1871 should probably be 1879 instead.
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking over the characters again in preparation for running the Kerberos Club at MACE this year. I'm making a few more tweaks. I'll come back here and post my suggestions when I'm done.
Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a lot of errors in the Fate edition too... Sad

I haven't the SW edition, however you are fantastic, as ever.

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's nothing really terrible or game-breaking. Just stuff I've noticed as I've explored the SPC to figure out how things work.

A few points don't add up here and there, and in a few cases they priced the Super Skill power wrong. Aside from that, it's not all that big of a deal.

IMO, the quality of the rest of the book more than makes up for a few power points here and there. This is an awesome sourcebook. Were I to run a super hero game, this would definitely be the setting!
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: [Kerberos Club] Super Powers Errata Reply with quote

SavageGamerGirl wrote:

Attack, Melee: The Freak has a Large Burst Template melee attack. This is unusual, since adding a template to a melee attack isn’t one of the listed modifiers. As a GM, I’d probably allow it since he has a rubbery body. He just flails around with his elastic limbs and hits everything around him. Even though it’s technically not by the rules, it still works. A better, in-rules fix would be to tweak this down to just +2d6 damage, and spending the spare points on things like Fear (he is terrifying to behold) and Super Edges -- giving him Sweep and Improved Sweep to re-create the concept of him flailing his rubbery limbs to hit everything around him.

I've found a better way to handle this ability. It can't do the same damage, but it's still an area attack centered on him.

Energy Control: Kinetic.

Since Savage Worlds is so much about the trappings, just ignore the "Energy Control" bit and concentrate on the fact that this is a power that can deal kinetic energy damage in an area around the person. Re-skin the power to be "a flailing of rubbery limbs" and there you have it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: