Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blues themed setting - Input welcomed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dirty Ernie
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolomite23 wrote:
Do you mean like how major scale sounds happy and a minor one is kind of ominous.

Yeah. Different scales have different vibes that I thought you might wanna make use of. Kreider pretty much made the point I had in mind. The Phrygian scale, for instance, has a mysterious, exotic, Middle-Eastern, Gypsy feel (though probably not what you're looking for in a Blues setting).

One thing I think has a lot of potential in your setting is what's called the Flatted 5th. Look up Tritone or Devil's Interval. It's very sinister and dark sounding, and used a lot in rock and metal music, including the opening riff of Hendrix's Purple Haze.

George Lynch, one of my favorite guitarists, uses it liberally in his playing. It helped him earn the nick-name "Mr. Scary". Very appropriate for a villain to have in his musical arsenal. Cool

You can hear it in action over here.
Dirty Ernie
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An addendum to my previous post:

This Flatted 5th thing need not be overtly sinister and villainous. Not necessarily threatening. It is basically an "in-between" note, and creates tension when you linger on it. That tension can also be used to good effect in seduction, temptation and love/hate relationships. Unresolved tension. Suggestion and innuendo. It just feels sexy and dirty.

One of the reasons there were A-LOT of girls at '80s rock concerts.

That, and the lyrics. And the band's leather/spandex pants. #1eek13
Dolomite23
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the this Fantasy blues setting, I am now trying to come up with some Regional Edges that would, much that would further individualize the characters. I mean Harp player from Chicago is going to be very different from a piano player from Los Angeles. I want to make advantages to being from a certain area, like the races from Conan. Here are some examples

Piedmont (East Coast) - Lightning hands +1 to manual skills (ex. touch based noticerolls)
Tejas (Texas) - Hard Groove - +2 instead of +1 gang up bonus for each band mate
Swamp Blues - Laidback - these guys are not easily rattled +1 to guts roll.
Men-nefer (Memphis) – gain trademark item

Anyone got any other thoughts or ideas about regional edges and names.

Blues Name Generator

Peg Leg Bones Jones aka Dolomite
Sweeper
Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a bit of background reading, I'd suggest The Gutbucket Quest by Piers Anthony and Ron Leming.

It's an alt-universe setting novel where Texas (or Tejas) is THE country in North America, the Gods give power through music and the Blues rein. A bit slow in some places, but a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/Gutbucket-Quest-Piers-Anthony/dp/0312864639
Dolomite23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just let the board know that I have not let this fall by the wayside. RL and limited computer time is a factor. I did get a chance to run demo of the game with my Monday night Hackmaster group. I will post a writeup this week. I based the adventure on Southern Gods, great book btw. The group always comes up with interesting twists, one player was a Soulless Dirty Cop, the other was a Underground Reporter. I had my ipod going in the background and the playlist was Robert Johnson and for the climatic battle "Testify" from Stevie Ray Vaughn.
DAtheGuitarPlayer
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirty Ernie wrote:
An addendum to my previous post:

This Flatted 5th thing need not be overtly sinister and villainous. Not necessarily threatening. It is basically an "in-between" note, and creates tension when you linger on it. That tension can also be used to good effect in seduction, temptation and love/hate relationships. Unresolved tension. Suggestion and innuendo. It just feels sexy and dirty.

One of the reasons there were A-LOT of girls at '80s rock concerts.

That, and the lyrics. And the band's leather/spandex pants. #1eek13

As a player myself, the flattened fifth and tritone subs are used to GREAT effect. But, for my $.02, the slinky blues lies in that sweet spot between the minor and major third of a scale.

For instance, a simple major chord consists of a root, major third, and a fifth. A normal dominant chord sound in a blues song might include a flat seventh, but the real shocker comes from playing the minor third over the major third while bending it a bit - raising the pitch a microtone to approach that major third but not quite get there.

Which is my long-winded way of saying you need people who can bend wrong things to make them right. The manipulation of tones, of wills, of attitudes, of rules?

Also, awesome setting idea.
wikiget
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you could get a lot of inspiration from the movie, Crossroads.

Available on Netflix (DVD only)

In search of a long-forgotten blues song, classical guitarist Eugene (Ralph Macchio) befriends legendary bluesman Willie Brown (Joe Seneca) after meeting him in a Harlem nursing home. Brown convinces Eugene to help him find his soul, which he sold to the devil years ago in exchange for achieving blues perfection. As they travel the Mississippi Delta, the pair befriends a runaway girl (Jami Gertz). Ry Cooder composed and performed the score.
Rule 2 - Never Assume.
Rule 3 - Everything is a trap.
Rule 4 - Never trust a GMs generosity, but never point it out.
Rule 5 - GMs can be bought.
Dolomite23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Playtest Summary Reply with quote

I got this idea from the novel Southern Gods. It was a little more horror than I expected but I think it work out well.

I first want to thank Topher and Casey for bearing with me as I get the image of my world from my head to reality.

The World of Mojo and Magic is an Urban Fantasy.

Topher played Thaddeus Rousseau, a underground newspaper reporter. He as assign to find out about a Blues musician, named Rambling John Riley whose music supposedly can drive men insane. I let my players always make their characters with the Deadlands Card rule. He pulled the Relic card. To make it so what feasible we decided to make it a tape recorder that was recording during a murder.

Casey was playing Aidan Doyle, a Dirty Soulless cop. He was visited by Irish Gangster Nolan Dunn. His daughter, his daughter Abigail has gone missing and he wants Doyle to find her.

Thaddeus grabs his cameraman partner and set out to find clues. Thaddeus travels to a radio station to see if anyone has heard of this guy. No one seems to have heard of him. In one of his visits on of the DJs pointed him toward the guy by the name of Tomatohead. He is the repairman for the Imperial hotel. He is known to have his finger on the blues scene.

Aidan went back to his police station to look up info on Abigail. She is known around the precinct and has been arrested a few times for vandalism, breaking and entering and assault. Of which most involved a woman named Francine Mayer. These all occurred in an area of town called Westlake. Aidan combed his sources but could not find anything on Francine.

Westlake is the part of town that has a veneer f civility. New and fashionable, but the word is that this is where you go if you want to lose yourself for awhile. The head man is this area is a Tommy Williamson also known as Black Caesar.

Aidan calls Caesar up to see if Abigail has been seen around his turf. He is angered when Aidan calls him. Aidan offers to help him out in exchange for a favor. A couple of his boys were picked up and need to get out of jail. Aidan agrees and Caesar tells him that the girl has been seen in a barrelhouse called the White Rabbit. Aidan is amazed the a white girl is hanging out in the black part of town for an long period of time.

Thaddeus goes to meet Tomatohead a small redhead mulatto, who is a repairman at the Imperial Hotel. Thaddeus had a hard time understanding a lot of the words coming from his gap-toothed smile. He asked him about Rambling John Riley, but he has never heard of him. Thaddeus writes down the lyrics that he heard from the recording and it seems to jog Tomatohead’s memory. He knows of a guy that is playing that a song like that at a club called the White Rabbit.

Aidan goes and bails out Caesar’s two men, Lincoln and Pinch and then finds out where the White Rabbit is. Pinch gives him the address and pass phrase, “I am looking for some sugar”.

Before a heading to the club Thaddeus bought some earplugs. Then he and Stanley his cameraman went to the club.

While waiting outside of the club, its night and the building is an old small warehouse. Thaddeus and Aidan spot each other and see other races in line.

White waiting for Aidan overhears partiers speaking disparagingly about him. The digs become more personal as one of the people in line says,

“Dang, you is a big one and I bet yo mamma was a big one too. I bet when she takes a shower her feet don’t get wet.”
Aidan would who like nothing better than to take this guy and force feed him his oversized knuckle. Then Aidan realizes that this was an initiation into the dozens. So he gives as good as he gets.

Thaddeus goes up to the front door and flashed a press badge to get into the door the bouncer smirks and wondered why the high falutin’ white folk would bother with a small place like the rabbit. Thaddeus corrected the man and said that he wasn’t White he was High Yella (Topher didn’t tell me that he was Black, I was corrected by the low light). Thaddeus was able to persuade the bouncer Buford to let him but he bars Stanley from going in until word from Thaddeus.

As they get in the make their way to respectable tables and wait for the show to start.

A woman in a brown dress came up to Thaddeus and took his drink. The young lady flirts with him and makes a point to meet him in private. Thaddeus worries that he may miss seeing Rambling John. He makes plans with Stanley to capture the following events on tape and goes to find the girl to hopefully get it on (He is Curious and has a Big Mouth). He got two drinks and headed off meet her.

Aidan looked around and saw Abigail talking to a man who looks very interested in her. He also remarks how much things are in here

Thaddeus found Abigail sitting on a desk in the back room.
Thaddeus tried to question her but she jumps on him and starts making out with him

Abby starts talking about how she wished that there was someone who could take here away from Nine and all this. As she is tussle Thaddeus, small horns start to appear on Abby’s forehead. Aidan comes in as they are rolling around on the floor. He moves into stop Thaddeus from hurting Abby. Thaddeus pushes Abby off and tries to calm Aidan down. While they are talking they hear a Scream coming from the stage area. There is a bloody mess of mayhem. Gunshots can be heard

Topher used the Villainous Verbosity Adventure Card on Abigail. Nine is a lowlife, hustler, druggie, pimp. He gets girls, like Abigail strung out and then puts them out on the streets. He is called Nine because one of his girls got angry and bit off one of his fingers. Abby tries to seduce Aidan but it doesn’t work.

They try to leave but are barred from the doors by the entranced mob. Thaddeus figures that maybe if Ramblin John’s Guitar was stopped then they might have a chance

Stanley starting to think about Riley’s name and looks at Thaddeus notes and just thought Thaddeus misspelled his name, but it is spelled R’yleh. Stanley makes an amazing shot braking the neck of guitar (with a -10 he rolled a 17). As Stanley is reloading his gun he knocks his camera off the table. The flash seems to momentarily stun the mob.

Aidan climbs up on a table and shouts if anyone does not want to get MURDERED, you’d better get out of here NOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!! (Casey played the adventure card that shakens everyone, I can’t remember the name)

Somehow the building exploded after on of the camera flashes. Thaddeus made a note to ask Stanley where he got those flash bulbs

While Aidan uses contacts and finds Nine and takes him and Abby to Nolan. When Nolan finds out what Abby is, he is pissed. Aidan explains who Nine is and Nolan without explanation shoots Nine in the head. Nolan explains that Abby’s mother was a whore are Abby was not his daughter. Nolan gives Aidan a bonus and sends him on.

Stanley and Thaddeus experiment with the tape of R’yleh. Thaddeus decides to hide it away from everyone in a safety deposit box.

It was a straightforward horror fight with arguably some of the best players I know. I still need to get a working magic system and the Soulless race needs work. I forgot that they had the Hard of Hearing racial hindrance.

More to Come
RockabillyRebel
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this idea.

I've been toying with a setting for a while now, that I will finally be running pretty soon, that is also horror/music based, but quite different.

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21808&highlight=

Check out the last post. It may give you some ideas for your Cutters.
Dolomite23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its been a long time, but Community Theatre is a thing. I am picking this up again and got inspired by a trip to Memphis. I just going to work on it a bit at a time. I woke this morning think about one of the big cities in this world. I would like to see if I could get the boards help with a name.

I am planning a Gazetteer. Basically the city is like 1920's Chicago plus a little of World of Warcraft Undercity. Full of mindless drones, and subtle industrial dangers. A more tech savvy player would come from here.

More cities to come probably based on different types of music.

Thanks,
Dolo
Rel
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Wow Dolo, way to go! Reply with quote

Glad to hear you're still working on this, man. When you told me about it some months back I definitely thought it was one of the wildest ideas I've ever heard. Keep on keepin on!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: