Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternative to Minis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc Firefly
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Alternative to Minis Reply with quote

I have a solution to minis. I go to places like Michaels and Hobby Lobby and buy the 25mm round wood disks they sell. On one side I write a number (or letter) and on the other I Write "Shaken (and whatever number)". These are cheep (40ish for $5 US) and easy to transport (You can carry all that you would need in an altoids tin.) If you are playing a fantasy you can also get a few of the bigger discs to represent Ogres, Big Mutants, large aliens-etc.

This gives me an easy solution for buying transporting and painting a large number of minis and I don't get that icky feeling when I have to proxie a gobblin spearmean in place of a Gunslinger.
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmm....

I kinda like this idea...

But I'd combined it with the techniques here...
http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33950
... to add distinct & unique portraits on the "character" side & a "shaken" symbol on the flip side.

It would make for some cool minis replacements.
Merlin_Sylver
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually been using these small wooden discs for years. I've got 24 of them numbered, another 12 lettered, and then 6 with symbols (circle, square, traingle, X, an ankh and a star). I don't worry too much with writing in 'shaken' on the backs, as the blank face is clear enough.

However, the idea of getting them and pasting portraits on them never occurred to me.... I might just have to break out my paper and glue now...
BozeD
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just reading this article at newbie GM and I am seriously considering tokens!

http://newbiedm.com/2008/11/22/newbiedm-tutorial-counters-tokens-or-pogs/
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I run a SW campaign that I already don't have the miniatures for, I am going to go this route.

Excellent stuff!!
Other Mike
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staples has "counting chips," plastic disks about 1.5 inches. One side is flat, while the outer edge is slightly raised on the other side. They just beg to have circular stickers added to them. There are quite a few in the bag ... but I don't know how they compare, cost-wise, to the wooden ones at Michael's. They have to weigh less though.

I was thinking about using them for themed bennies for some of my home brew settings. But if you like the idea of "tokens/pogs" for characters and critters, these would work well too.
kaltorak
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if someone other apart me noticed that creature's stats in SWD bestiary chapter have small, round shaped images near every monster entry...
Chaosmeister
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaltorak wrote:
I wonder if someone other apart me noticed that creature's stats in SWD bestiary chapter have small, round shaped images near every monster entry...

I saw that and immedietly thought : Tokens! I think this is a great idea.
robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative to Minis Reply with quote

Doc Firefly wrote:
I have a solution to minis. I go to places like Michaels and Hobby Lobby and buy the 25mm round wood disks they sell. On one side I write a number (or letter) and on the other I Write "Shaken (and whatever number)". These are cheep (40ish for $5 US) and easy to transport (You can carry all that you would need in an altoids tin.) If you are playing a fantasy you can also get a few of the bigger discs to represent Ogres, Big Mutants, large aliens-etc.

This gives me an easy solution for buying transporting and painting a large number of minis and I don't get that icky feeling when I have to proxie a gobblin spearmean in place of a Gunslinger.

I've done the same thing, except I instead used Mini-poker chips. (Bingo sized).

I went this route so that I could have a variety of colors (currently have 6 colors).

I don't have shaken written on the other side, its just blank. With the different colors, I can bring in groups of enemies, wild cards, etc. without having to note down which letter is actually what.

Then, switching over to DnD or other games, the letters help me tell Goblin A from Goblin B when it comes to tracking HP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: