Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does scale matter to you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chugosh
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Does scale matter to you? Reply with quote

Thre are a lot of fun figures out there in both 1/72 scale and 1/32 scale. The one is a wee bit smaller than our usual 28mm or so, and the other is about twice as big. I keep thinking about this as I muddle through trying to paint a set of 1/72 adventurers from Ceaser's over the past year or so (motivation problems and the fact I'm neither running or playing a consistant fantasy game.)

It seems to me the larger 54mm figures would be a great deal easier to paint up. More room on the map as it would make sense to use the one inch to the yard scale for fights, but that's as simple as doubling all range numbers. Also easy to print my paper terrain (principally rio Draco from Fat Dragon and Whitewash City from Hotz Stuff). OTOH, it still fits on the paper I have to print it a bit smaller and use the 1/72 figures which in turn tend to come many more in the box.

Of course I have to wait till after Christmas for funding anything exorbitant, but I like to look about.
Sean-Khan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a huge amount of (about) 30mm minis so I stick to them, except perhaps using 25mm (1/72?) Arcane legions in some ancient era game. I allow only small size differences, and some bit different scale -miniatures can be used as especially large/small people. And the above article has a good example of taking miniatures from totally different scale, AL Minos of Crete is an excellent -looking minotaur for D&D for example.

Terrain-wise, I'd like those 25mm miniatures better as it would allow both more handy and more impressive terrains. Smaller than that might be too small for rpg purposes I think - I've used my Axis & Allies minis in one Savage Cyberworld session, where they worked well - I could see them working in Weird Wars too.

I think 54mm is way too big as it lets you have only very small area on the table. In addition, while painting them may be easier, they also need more detail to look good.

Shaper & Maker - modelling, gaming & a lot of other stuff
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only I had some amazing device that would let me shrink 54mm figures down to 28mm! ;D I've got some of those "Crimson Skies" Clix figures that, for some odd reason, WizKids decided to produce in 54mm rather than the same general scale as the rest of their figures. They would've been PERFECT for pulp ... but while I tend to play fast and loose with scale (25mm minis mixed in with 32mm), there's a certain point where it's just *too* much.

I've even discovered that if I compare my old West End Games Star Wars minis (obtained on clearance a while back and in grab bag deals) with newer Star Wars Miniatures ... there's just no way I can mix and match the Stormtroopers from either set together. ("Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?") No one's likely to mind as much if I use some Micro Machines figure-pack Jawas, however (just as long as I don't have any TALLER Jawas from the newer figure line standing next to them for immediate comparison).

Anyway, regards 54mm scale, one problem I have is that the table is only so large. Larger figures means less play area on my table. (It's for this reason that for vehicular combat I typically switch down a scale and use small airplanes, ships, etc., and markers to represent the location of any heroes who've abandoned ship and are floating around awaiting rescue, etc.)

If, however, you've got a large enough table, or you just don't need that much room, and you've got enough 54mm figures to represent everything you need ... go for it! Smile If I were going to play some genre of a game and I had a treasure trove of 54mm scale minis that represented everything I could want in that setting, I'd probably just go with what I've got rather than buying a whole bunch of new 28mm figures. However, the bulk of my collection (and it IS bulky, thanks to grab bags of Clix minis) is in the department of 28mm heroic scale, so I'm likely to stick with that.

As Sean-Khan noted, 54 minis might be "easier" to paint in certain respects, such as if you're already committed to trying to paint in dots in their eyes. However, greater detail in the figure might also bring in greater expectations for detail in painting, so I'm not quite convinced that going 54mm is really going to make things "easier" as a whole.
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not think of the more detail required problem. That really is something to be considered. On that note the 23mm or so figures in the 1/72 plastic is not too bad, especially the old west sets available. Some of them have really great detail, and at that scale, it is possible to mess up a lot and it is practically invisible. Now I've only done a troop of goblins and some fantasy figures but they were good, and once I got to it, didn't take too long, and my mistakes are pretty hard to see at first glance.

The only daunting part is painting all the stuff you get in those cheap little boxes. Maybe that will end up being the difference between the extras and the wild cards!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: