Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Odd things you realized

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Templar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Odd things you realized Reply with quote

This is just sort of a thread where you can list various sudden realizations you had when you played or looked at the rules or clever things that came to you. I figured it might be fun to see if people caught stuff and what ideas we can give each other.

My biggest one was relatively recent, I was looking at the rules in Junkman cometh and I noticed that they listed the size for the ammo type the Combine uses. I had thought, "Well, I guess if you have a combine turncoat in the group or something..." Then I realized that they mentioned that the black hats carry a lot of ammo since they can usually always get more, and while their guns go kablooey you could still take their ammo and build a gun that uses it.

I felt kind of dumb for not seeing it sooner, but it does give you a way to still get some salvage from the combine. Anyone else?
King Snarf
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you couldn't use Combine ammo, because in addition to the weird caseless ammo, it's in a packaging that can only be opened by someone with a chip. Of course, if the character is playing a turncoat, then ok, but why wouldn't he have the guns too?

Check out my author page!
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Snarf wrote:
I thought you couldn't use Combine ammo, because in addition to the weird caseless ammo, it's in a packaging that can only be opened by someone with a chip. Of course, if the character is playing a turncoat, then ok, but why wouldn't he have the guns too?

I remember something like that too, but was looking and couldn't find it, so I wasn't sure if I just made it up in my head...

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
PsyBomb
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make weapons that use Caseless via other Junker powers, or take out the chip in some way. Thus, being able to make Caseless ammo Smile

Now, for a "huh" moment of my own from the same book... the Sensor power. You can make ALL KINDS of awesome stuff, but not a laser sight. Had to work it out with my Marshal Very Happy
Templar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsyBomb wrote:
You can make weapons that use Caseless via other Junker powers, or take out the chip in some way. Thus, being able to make Caseless ammo Smile

Now, for a "huh" moment of my own from the same book... the Sensor power. You can make ALL KINDS of awesome stuff, but not a laser sight. Had to work it out with my Marshal Very Happy

huh, that is odd.

With the caseless, what I got was that the guns themselves were trapped, not the ammo.
PsyBomb
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next moment comes from Doomsayers, and it's 50% "Huh?" and 50% "Whoa...", and I guarantee everyone seeing this has had that moment.

The first time your local Doomy uses the Nuke power. This goes double if the Marshal knows what the power really does (such as blast radius...) and the Doomsayer didn't know it THAT well. This was responsible for my first character death Very Happy
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything the Combine uses is trapped. The guns, the ammo, the car starter. Everything. I find it amusing the levels that Shane+ went to so that you can't use anything from the Combine. Which is funny, because the guns really aren't that great.

I agree with the laser sight thing. I can build sensors that can tell if you are lying, advanced medical equipment, and a invisible (literally invisible) jet, but I can't make something like a laser sight. The same goes for some of the Scrapper systems. You can't make systems like the rotating knee, the radio (that many channels makes it the size of a man), or oddly, a Soul Tap.

When stuff like this comes up, I just fudge them into existing rules. I wrote out some rules for making laser sights, magazines (hello), silencers using Gunsmith. For a Soul Tap, I would just modify the rules for a Spirit Fetter, using the patient's own soul instead of a manitou. I figure it's a little easier to make, given that the patient is probably willing.

A funny thing I just noticed last night was in Last Crusaders. There is an elaborate description of how a Templar with the Scavenger Greater Reward can just find Air Force One. Given how big a deal this became in the metaplot, I find this odd.
ShogaHin
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Junkman Cometh Reply with quote

I have seen a lot of odd things in junkman cometh. A few are below.

1) It says on page 39 under Making a Spirit Battery "quote" "These are much lighter than the collectors used to charge them (covered below) and donít generate any heat." Well, if you do the math, it takes 1 oz Ghost Rock and 1 Structural component. Sructural components weigh about 3 lbs each. So for every 10 GR the battery weighs 3 lbs. A g-Ray collector weighs 10 lbs.

2) By using this same rules for weight of components, even small items will weigh quite a bit. I built a energy blade (lightsaber) using shield and weaponsmth powers. Its total weight was around 25 Lbs for something the size of an average flashlight.

lol

Shoga
catalac
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Junkman Cometh Reply with quote

ShogaHin wrote:
I have seen a lot of odd things in junkman cometh. A few are below.

1) It says on page 39 under Making a Spirit Battery "quote" "These are much lighter than the collectors used to charge them (covered below) and donít generate any heat." Well, if you do the math, it takes 1 oz Ghost Rock and 1 Structural component. Sructural components weigh about 3 lbs each. So for every 10 GR the battery weighs 3 lbs. A g-Ray collector weighs 10 lbs.

2) By using this same rules for weight of components, even small items will weigh quite a bit. I built a energy blade (lightsaber) using shield and weaponsmth powers. Its total weight was around 25 Lbs for something the size of an average flashlight.

lol

Shoga
ah compact weight you gota love it. #gunbattle
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Junkman Cometh Reply with quote

ShogaHin wrote:
Sructural components weigh about 3 lbs each. So for every 10 GR the battery weighs 3 lbs.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, in the book(s) say that you use all of the mass of your components; a few things indicate that you mutilate components into an otherwise unusable form, and such mutilation usually reduces the weight of the final product.
Nothing I can remember, nor nothing I've found, says how heavy a spirit battery is. Just that they are much less than 10 pounds. Wink
Bumpy
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to using Combine stuff, all you need is a chip. Just pry a working one out of a dead Black Hat and jingo jango!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: