Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fun with optimization or how I survived a Ground Zero blast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilasWrathStrike
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Fun with optimization or how I survived a Ground Zero blast Reply with quote

Hey ya'll, just random thoughts here. I was trying to figure out who would be the best character in Deadlands to survive a really really REALLY pissed-off Doomsayer. So let's say they REALLY want to hurt you, and standing close to you use Ground Zero, which deals 10d20 damage to you I believe. This is all going to be done Sans-any equipment btw. My vote: a Harrowed Templar. In the Templar book they give the Reward Purity, which subtracts from Radiation damage, so you get a free -5 armor value provided you've bought it up that high. Then you take the edge Rad Tolerant level 5, for a total of -10 armor so far. 5 levels of Armor of the Saints later and you've got a -15, +1 if you have the greater reward. Then, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there's a Magic Resistance reward, for a -20, +1 armor value so far. Throw in 5 levels of Pluck and the Greater Reward and you can keep re-rolling the d6 for the Massive Damage roll until you get an appropriately low number.

Now, take Glow Bones, the Harrowed power out of Cyborgs, at level 5, providing you with +5 armor vs radiation damage, and now you're at +6, -20. The +6 takes 10d20 down to 9d4, which averages out to be somewhere around 28 likely, -20 equals about 8 damage, or around 1 wound, per time you were hit with the massive damage. If we are including pretty low-tech armor, boiled leather pants and shirt would bring you down to just wind damage.

This is all on the premise that you don't know it's coming. Yes, if you were a Syker you could just throw up a Shield and spend a few chips to give yourself massive negative armor. Or if you were a Junker you could make and use a fantastic energy-shield. But, well, there's a certain eloquence to being able to just stand there and do nothing while a monstrous blast consumes you, then walk out of the dust unscathed.

Retraction: you have to activate Glow Bones with an action, so I suppose that should be mentioned.
King Snarf
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's going to cost a lot of points for a scenario that might not come and certainly won't if the Marshal is paying attention to what you're spending points on.

Check out my author page!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: