Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(HoE classic) Flash Gordon question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Templar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: (HoE classic) Flash Gordon question Reply with quote

My group and I were agonizing a bit over the rules update for explosions and how it affected bolts for flash gordon then I suddenly realized something, for the range incriment slot cost, do you use the range for regular bullets or warheads?

Edit: IE I mean should we apply the RI stuff like the different modifiers for warheads compared to bullets as opposed to the current flash gordon system which makes bolt weapons prohibitively expensive in terms of size and energy consumption.
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a table in Flash Gordon that should be used. It's on the next page, above Generator. Make sure you double that cost, as mentioned in the blurb about Bolt weapons.
Templar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScooterinAB wrote:
There is a table in Flash Gordon that should be used. It's on the next page, above Generator. Make sure you double that cost, as mentioned in the blurb about Bolt weapons.

Due to the Iron Oasis errata bolt weapons are useless using the current rules, as I have mentioned before and hence why I brought up the idea.
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean. If anything, the errata in Iron Oasis makes Flash Gordon bolt weapons more dangerous. Exploding weapons are extremely dangerous now (the "no more drop a grenade and a chip and walk away" thing).

When comparing the two tables for burst area slots, it is actually cheaper to build small explosives (it gets a touch more expensive if you are getting into town destroying weapons) now than it was before.

The wording of the section in Iron Oasis seems to refers to the Ammo power (specifically). Flash Gordon should still use the ammo size previously presented, while the errata refers to making grenades and missiles.

Yes, bolt weapons are expensive and difficult to make. It is possible to make very dangerous weapons, so it makes sense that they would be hard to build. Just remember that high damage weapons with large explosions are supposed to be heavy or vehicular weapons, not a bunker-busting pistol. When you are dealing with Junker weapons (and the Taint), you should always be thinking bigger. Threatening someone with a pistol that can destroy a table is nothing to the shoulder mounted cannon that can vaporize your enemy, his surroundings, and his buddies who are hiding next door.
rungok
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone figured out how to make the flash gordon equivalent of a shotgun?

A weapon that fires a spray of plasma?
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rungok wrote:
I was wondering if anyone figured out how to make the flash gordon equivalent of a shotgun?

A weapon that fires a spray of plasma?

It's been my life's work.

I've figured out a few ways, depending on liberal rules use. You can take the projector route, which is the easiest to pull off. The best route, though, is a liberal interpretation on the use of the Ammo power when designing weapons. Theoretically, one could apply the multiple projectiles feature to Flash Gordon (the +2 to hit deal).

Ultimately, it lies in the hands of the Marshal (I hate how often that comes up). As a Marshal, I would accept the multiple projectiles approach for a beam weapon, assuming that there was a snappy pseudo-scientific reason behind it.
rungok
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a prism lens at the end of your barrel?
ScooterinAB
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like filling a balloon with too much air!

The book touches on the whole scientific principle matter, but here are two examples.

The Tesla Gun is a lightning throwing weapon (pistol or rifle, depending on which gets built). The weapon functions like a Tesla Coil, and arcs lightning from the gun to the target. By aiming the gun at a target, the target essentially becomes the second coil. [So rather than just "it fires lightning," the weapon follows a basic principle, and the tech spirit does the rest.]

The fearometer is a sophisticated sensory device that can detect ambient fear in an area. Since the Reckoning, scientists discovered that fear is just another kind of energy. The device's special sensor array measures the amount of fear in the area, and outputs it as a measurable unit (Qualms). [This device requires a certain buy in from the Marshal, but the logic is sound. Again, rather than just say it works, I've come up with a reasoning for it.]
Templar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScooterinAB wrote:
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean. If anything, the errata in Iron Oasis makes Flash Gordon bolt weapons more dangerous. Exploding weapons are extremely dangerous now (the "no more drop a grenade and a chip and walk away" thing).

When comparing the two tables for burst area slots, it is actually cheaper to build small explosives (it gets a touch more expensive if you are getting into town destroying weapons) now than it was before.

The wording of the section in Iron Oasis seems to refers to the Ammo power (specifically). Flash Gordon should still use the ammo size previously presented, while the errata refers to making grenades and missiles.

Yes, bolt weapons are expensive and difficult to make. It is possible to make very dangerous weapons, so it makes sense that they would be hard to build. Just remember that high damage weapons with large explosions are supposed to be heavy or vehicular weapons, not a bunker-busting pistol. When you are dealing with Junker weapons (and the Taint), you should always be thinking bigger. Threatening someone with a pistol that can destroy a table is nothing to the shoulder mounted cannon that can vaporize your enemy, his surroundings, and his buddies who are hiding next door.

Hmm, since they mention the change to ammo I figured it was universal and would apply to flash gordon as well. At least that would be my interpretation. If not then yeah, it's great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: