Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Actual Play Podcast: Best Length?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Break Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How long should actual play podcast episodes be?
As long as they need to be
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Two hours max
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
An hour sounds about right
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 11

Curryman
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Actual Play Podcast: Best Length? Reply with quote

I'm in preproduction on a podcast series that will follow my gaming group as we battle our way through Daring Entertainment's War of the Dead. I'm struggling with what length to make the episodes, though.

We just taped our first session on Saturday, and the session ran almost exactly four hours. That seems awfully long for a single episode, so I feel like I need to break it up into more manageable pieces. So how long is a good length?

The classic Penny Arcade casts that WotC did a while back were chopped up into roughly half hours, but I hated that format, and I think a lot of other people did as well. I'm leaning towards going with two hour(ish) shows, which would minimize editing, but I suppose I could go with one hour if somebody makes a good enough case.

I leave it to you, Savages. How long is too long? How short is too short? Am I over-thinking this? Should I just have each story chapter be an episode? I look forward to reading your thoughts. Thanks.

-Curryman
chugosh
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a trucker who burns through six to twelve hours of audio every single day I like podcasts to be long enough to be a signifigant portion of that time. At the same time editing and cleaning out background noise are essential to my enjoyment. Too messy a recording and I cannot hear over my engine no matter how loud I turn it. Also, make it mono, with the same feed to both speakers.

Try to hold profanity to the barest minimum, as well.
Timon
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience editing-out um's, pauses and things that cannot work outside the group (reactions to some visual joke etc) will easily shorten any live action feed to a third or less of it's original length. If you are a bit harsh you can fit it into an hour. Of course editing is hard work and each edited minute will probably take you four minutes to create, so reserve a block of time to do this in if you want to "boil down" the raw material.

Editing also means that you need to be clear what the podcast is trying to convey: atmosphere of your group? how to get the best out of WotD? etc. That will determine what you keep and what you drop.

Just to state the obvious: your audience will be GM's, not players because your content will be spoilerific for WotD.
Ogma
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with any length, ok with minimal editing and absolutely FINE with profanity riddled podcasts... Holy crap, you wanna' hear profanity, sit around a table during a typical RPG session! We're a foul-mouthed lot, we gamers! Smile Just be natural...
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for an hour, but that's because "As long as it needs to be" leaves it open for 4 or 6 hour long audios, which is far too long, and 2 hours just seems like it could be two single-hour casts instead. As Timon pointed out, once you do the editing, it'll be shorter than the unedited session, so that might be the major factor in the length of the podcast.
Curryman
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses so far, folks. I'm very interested by the broad spectrum of opinions. I think I had subconsciously expected more of a consensus about the "right" way to do this. We'll see if anything emerges as more people weigh in.

As far as editing goes, I won't be doing very much for multiple reasons. I don't have the time. I think it would ruin the flow of the session. A lot of the best stuff is in the asides. Also, a lot of the reason I listen to these sorts of things is to get a feel for how other people's groups run, and you don't get that from a heavily-edited show.

Profanity-wise, there's some in there. We're all adults, and I'm intending the cast for an adult audience and labeling it appropriately. I certainly don't think it's at excessive or offensive levels, but everybody's threshold on that sort of thing is different.

Thanks again for the input, everybody. I'm always looking for more, so keep it coming!
SlasherEpoch
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15/30 minute podcast chunks are perfect for me, as I clean while I listen to podcasts.

Evil Wig Enterprises Minion #15 - "The
Machete"
inlife9
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the "As long as it needs to be" camp. As it won't kill me to listen, stop, come back & listen some more. I often listen to pod casts as I do some other project. -so go with it.
Curryman
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inlife9 wrote:
I am in the "As long as it needs to be" camp. As it won't kill me to listen, stop, come back & listen some more. I often listen to pod casts as I do some other project. -so go with it.

I'm the same way. I'm kind of thinking of this project as more of an audiobook as far as structure goes. You listen to as much as you want in a given sitting, then whenever you want to come back you can pick it up later.

The only thing is that I realize that a lot of the existing podcast culture is focused on 30 minute or less shows, and I'm afraid prospective listeners would see a four hour run time and not even want to try it out.

I suppose if I broke a chapter into chunks of an hour or so each, and only put the intro and outro on the first and last segment respectively, the listening process should be seamless on the user's end, at least if they're using an iPod. I'm afraid that's the only MP3 player I've had experience with for some years now.

I'll have to ponder that alternative for a bit. Meantime, keep those suggestions coming. This is all good stuff. Thanks.
Captain_Sabatini
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote an hour or so but mostly as a way to keep the file size relatively small. I don't want to spent a lot of time downloading a single 4 hour track. I would rather spend time downloading smaller bits and listening to them while I decide if I want to get the rest or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Break Room All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: