Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is your posse's 'power level'?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: What is your posse's 'power level'? Reply with quote

What is your posse's 'power level'? Okay, HoE isn't leveled, I know, but what is the most powerful your posse has grown over the spread of adventures (and how much adventuring did they have to do to get there?).
- How much powers did your AB PC's have, at what Skill die?
- What equipment did they have? The basic stuff, or was everyone decked out in hardware military things, like RPG's and Power Armor?
- How much Relics did they have?
- How much coups did they have?
- What vehicles, ...?
- Any other extras?
- How many servitors did they defeat?
- How did they earn all this?

I'm wondering, because I've had some very strong posses with experienced players. Some of these high-strength posses were because of player expertise: junker players who'd make gimmicks for every other player, mind-rape sykers who'd manipulate entire road gang into giving them their stuff, power-armored fighters who defeat servitors with their bare hands, doomsayers that insta-kill doombringers, ... And these were all just starting characters!
But would these PC's be able to manage the more advanced adventures like the Boise Horror or eventually The Unity?
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What is your posse's 'power level'? Reply with quote

Wendigo1870 wrote:

- What equipment did they have? The basic stuff, or was everyone decked out in hardware military things, like RPG's and Power Armor?
- What vehicles, ...?
- Any other extras?

I'll start myself then.

-I've had a player invest in Belongin's for about the heaviest power armor in the game. He also had his STR maxed at 4D12, to which come additional bonusses from his armor. His massive power drain was offset by extra investing in a portable fusion canister, so he bypassed that 'power armor hindrance' by carrying his unlimited power with him.
He was so massively strong in close combat that he challenged the S-Mart Overlord to a duel, which it couldn't refuse. Then it got pummeled to death by the power armored fists, after which the player got his coup and also took his war-axe.He was invulnerable most of the time, and saved the rest of the posse out of many tight spots, untill he was killed by a wandering automaton, who found him while he was outside of his armor. He lasted about 5 adventures I guess. Consider him 'the muscled tank'

- Another has made a mind-rape Syker. He pulled some lousy initial cards, so he doesn't risk getting into tight battles - as do most of his companions, who work with him to get him some victims to mindride first. This way, The posse gets most of the info they need, send in a meat puppet scout first, and then do their thing. Also, things tend to 'change owners' as soon as something useful comes into view, as enemies become 'convinced' to freely give away their property (in the case of some road gangs, their entire vehicle park Razz ). If actually stuck in combat, he can chainbrain a lot of victims. He has made it up to Grit 5. He's the posse's longest (still surviving) PC. His dog, which ended up with a coup from Kane, the movie-viewing Servitor, but it got ran over by a truck after busting his dodge.

- There is a pretty 'straightforward' Doomsayer in the mix, but Doomsayers on average are already very powerful. With Spirit 4D12 and 6D12 Faith, making her very strong. She has that hindrance which allows Wind to be used as Strain, effectively doubling her total useful Power Strain. She has about 9 powers, including that Shield power, which causes her to lose almost no chips on soaking wounds. She is also a mayor orator (and Very Purty), making her extremely good at persuasion (and with her Randy hindrance, even better at seduction Wink ) and Taletelling. That's probably why the posse is able to lower the fear level about every story.

- There was a Junker, who fixed about all different kinds of stuff. He started with a strong sniper rifle contraption, and added all kinds of penalty-reducing mumbo-jumbo on it or his helmet, effectively making most shots at standard TN5 (even called headshots!), at extreme ranges. He made sensor helmets for everyone in the posse, and some more stuff if needed (such as a general motion sensor, making it impossible to sneak upon them). He made a hover-van, so the whole posse can be transported, at about 200mph, over any terrain (so there goes cornering them). Also, at that speed, he can get out of trouble, and then shoot said trouble, while going 200mph, because of the above-said penalty-reducers. And I also think he made a heal-gun - to shoot his wounded companions so they'd heal. To top all this, he never needed to power most of these things, because he had a soul-tap. Lots of this junker's powers were transferable to other pc's if he made the devices for them, and he could easily do so: getting stuf was no problem combined with a high-speed vehicle or the syker. He eventually got killed suffering horrible burns I think.

- The replacement for the junker became an ex-military special ops, with high combat skills and equipment, and also good cyber-gear - until his junkermade eye suddenly exploded. Amazingly, he survived this, with only a few chips needed to soak the wounds Surprised . He has 2 SMG's, with attached Chainsaw Ripper Blades for melee.

- there were a lot more, some dead, some retired, ...

All in all, I feel that this posse could potentially waltz through lots of pre-written adventures. Even though they haven't really been into very much long stories or found any relics yet or even military gear, beyond that which they started with.

Last edited by Wendigo1870 on Sat May 28, 2011 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jack_Spade
Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a character with 9 levels in fighting, with the concentrations brawlin', sword, florentine, spear, knife, and bayonet, and a 4D12 Nimbleness. He's also got 5 levels in shootin' (1D12 Deftness), with pistol, shotgun, SMG, and rifle concentrations. He's got a soul-tap, a junker-made shield, that SA sniper rifle, and a plethora of melee weapons. He's also got companion status with Ronin Lynch and Jenny Hise, as well as two points of Grit.

I'm not allowed to play him anymore either Sad

Besides him, my friend had an Anti-Templar with d12 Deftness and Nimbleness, 5 levels in shooting and fighting, and 6 templar powers, 3 of which he had greaters for.

In my current group I have a Cyber-Doc (conveniently named "Doc") that has D12s in Deftness and Nimbleness, 5 levels in shootin' and fightin', 14 powers and 4 tool tricks, a pre-war cyber-arm, a pre-war cyber leg, a pre-war cyborg shield (yes, the best shield in the game), a soul-tap (2d10 Spirit currently), a level 5 computer browser, 3 different coups (Dog of war Alpha, the Devourer from Leftovers, and Wendigo), a plethora of junker devices, including:
an A.I. (named Otto) with shooting, fighting, and surgeon skills;

super-ammo (6d6 AP-X ammo with a +2 to hit fitted for 12ga. shotguns);

Specs (a pair of sunglasses fitted with holographic lenses, 4x zoom, nightvision, and a visual receiver, all of which take no drain; spending chips on flow really helps);

dozens of other devices, from warheads to healing beds, I literally have it all.

Also, every once in a while I'll throw together a suit of armour that is really light but has an AV of 3; coupled with my shield, I tend to take zero wounds from physical attacks due in-part to having an AV of 8.

My two downsides are that my character has big-britches, and had a veteran draw of "Forsaken" (no beneficial magic works on me. Since the character is a junker, my Marshal said that magic working for me was okay). It's how I lost limbs in the first place.

The rest of that party is really nothing special; most of them haven't even earned 50 bounty points yet.

It's actually amazing this guy even lived to the point I tackled a crazy clown in a mine-field and lost two limbs (only had enough chips to save my head, torso, and one arm, while one of my legs was only mostly gone), let alone to the point he's gotten to now.
Wendigo1870
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- As a Marshall, I re-draw forsaken for most AB's cause it's too detrimental for the player's concept. I'd do it too if a player would make a Weird West gunslinger, only to end up being blind. I'd tend to avoid things that would totally break a player's concept. Often I pick another harsh one, but one that doesn't break the concept.
Jack_Spade
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendigo1870 wrote:
- As a Marshall, I re-draw forsaken for most AB's cause it's too detrimental for the player's concept. I'd do it too if a player would make a Weird West gunslinger, only to end up being blind. I'd tend to avoid things that would totally break a player's concept. Often I pick another harsh one, but one that doesn't break the concept.

I tend to have more sand and grit than your players then Wink

Speaking of which, I had made a two-fisted gunslinger, had equipment all ready and everything and ended up with a veteran draw of missing limb (arm).

Still have that character too.
Templar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: What is your posse's 'power level'? Reply with quote

Wendigo1870 wrote:
What is your posse's 'power level'? Okay, HoE isn't leveled, I know, but what is the most powerful your posse has grown over the spread of adventures (and how much adventuring did they have to do to get there?).
- What vehicles, ...?
- Any other extras?

I'm wondering, because I've had some very strong posses with experienced players. Some of these high-strength posses were because of player expertise: junker players who'd make gimmicks for every other player, mind-rape sykers who'd manipulate entire road gang into giving them their stuff, power-armored fighters who defeat servitors with their bare hands, doomsayers that insta-kill doombringers, ... And these were all just starting characters!
But would these PC's be able to manage the more advanced adventures like the Boise Horror or eventually The Unity?

I will say that the Unity adventure is not an adventure, it is a theme park ride, any group could technically do it. Boise Horror...sort of depends on the group really.

Ok, my group is fairly high powered, I will go in order as I think of them, each player used veteran of the wasted west, except the psyker who did faraway war. I'll also note that I have been accused of running over the top crazy games, but if nothing else you can see what I face and have kept herd on, at least thus far.

1) A heavily mutated templar that won the genetic lottery, 2 natural layers of armor limb regrowth, major muscle augmentation, the ability to swap action cards, etc. and this is before Templar powers. He was also a former member of Huntleys Devils so the soldier background is in too. In the second session an automaton barrage and grenade badly injured him (scaring the ever loving CRAP out of the group...for at least a little while).

2) Banshee Psyker, former member of the Wendigos, got a cursed banshee stone from his veteran pull and has been one helluva skilled infiltrator. He also has a relic at start that gave him a blastin' bonus (from belongins), overall he's effective and fairly cunning but not really overpowered. He has been slowly warning psykers about...well Marshals know what the Wendigos know. He also has 'You Bastard' and was one of Warfields golden boys for quite a while, this has led to some fun when they encounter other banshee psykers, usually with the aforementioned templar having to try to protect him.

3) Junker, Gun browser, vehicle browser, and magic tools (bought with belongins). Carries a personally made railgun rilfe, 8d8 damage and can go to AP2, and has been making bullets and spook juice to help the group keep resources. This character isn't incredibly powerful alone, though can make some pretty damn spiffy stuff. Has also made armor that has been described as 'the hulk suit' for Templar 1, heavy enough to reduce his speed by 1/4...and the templars strength is 4d12+8 Also recently made a generator for our next team member.

4) Former US colonel in the armored infantry, AKA power armor. Is also a Knight in the knights of steel, at character creation he sunk most of his points into the suit, getting a LAPAT, sensor gear, repair kits, etc. He also has an MPSW and we're trying to work out what they are in junker parlance for bullet making. He has had to do a full repair once, and has depended on the next member to give the suit enough juice to keep it running at its basics

5) Lektor who is a genetic prize, radiation resistance, mouth hands, armor, limb regeneration, rad baby, and when something near him dies he gets back strain and wind, he also spirit taps (though due to wind loss from guts failures it's been a bit of an issue for some fights). He is probably one of the biggest damage dealers, though he does pace himself to avoid outshining, only MIRVing when the group is severely outnumbered or they need that destructive blast NOW. Also focused heavily on getting Aegis ASAP, his character is dangerous but actually can be dealt with relatively easily thus far, though he can probably make a doombringer cry.

6) The face templar, also a mutant from character creation and veteran (I think the veteran pulls liked mutations and players, they tended to get a series of GOOD mutations on it) He has +6 charisma to dealing with women, carries false excalibur and is fairly strong. He is quite charming, especially with women, however his combat abilities pale a fair amount in comparison.

In terms of salvaged gear they have been about..middling. They have gotten some good stuff but some of it went away as the Lektors tithe when they visited Amarna. The second MPSW and the NA SAWs on the armored Humvee they captured from the road gang were sold to buy bullets for their other guns. They still have a couple of SA SAWs they got off of an anti-templar road gang, though that one was a bit of a mess (funny, but kind of a mess) it involved wild shooting, illusions of faminites, rogue faminites, and some very real fear of the road gang getting to the rocket launcher.

Most of the gear that the group has has been scavenged from foes, ammo was either made by the junker or traded for. The guys got a couple of good loot hauls, one of them involved them defeating a satanic Easter bunny (I was in an odd mood and it was the day before Easter) so I gave them some painted hand grenades, ghost rock chunks shaped like peeps and a few armor items as well as them finding an untouched storage unit which they camped in while in a deadland. Honestly the biggest single loot surge was probably the adventure in the back of the Psyker book with the TSAR rifle and the 11 point banshee stone, not to mention the psyker drugs.

My group is fairly high powered, but I can deal with them fairly easily. Some of it is simply that I have experience from the weird west game in what not to do and am better able to also build my own stuff. Some of it is too that AP ammo is easier to come by so armor is less imposing and diverse magic users are easier to run so I can have many different kinds of opponents.

And, just for a bit of extra amusement, both of the Templars have the 'randy' hindrance, let the amusement flow.
rungok
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno about my posse, but my Junker's doing really good.

His name is "Doctor Buck Sutton Rochefort, the Third."

Everyone calls him Dr. Buck.

He's pretty well skilled, has a few points in a wide variety of things, but is an excellent craftsman both in arcane engineering and out. He has a large quantity of powers gained: Healing, shield, ammo, gunsmith, weaponsmith, armor, sensor, commo, locomotion, brains, and super strength. As well as the miniaturize, finish, and spit n' polish tool tricks.

The best thing he's made is a weapon he calls the "Bouncing Baby". It's a 30D20 Bomb with a shield module attached to it. It's made so that the bomb is launched via catapult-like mechanism. The shield bubble around the bomb 'bounces' the bomb along, making loud noises as it does so. When the shield collapses, within 1 minute or when enough force breaks the shield, the bomb detonates with a 20y blast increment.

... He uses it to 'fish' for mohave rattlers in the desert. So far it's had impressive results. Theres the down side of if you don't launch it before the shield engages, you're trapped in the bubble with the bomb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: