Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What if Lost Colony Reloaded was one Plot Point Campaign?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: What if Lost Colony Reloaded was one Plot Point Campaign? Reply with quote

A while back, Cutter started a topic about what people thought about the original Lost Colony and what they were wanting to see in Lost Colony Reloaded. The big consensus was that it wasn't sufficiently expanded upon and it felt in some ways like an extension of Hell on Earth. Essentially, Lost Colony was underdeveloped as a setting, which seemed to be because it's scope was too big.

The thought then occurred to me: what if Lost Colony's scope were made smaller? What if instead of a full-blown setting, it was a single, epic Plot Point campaign setting like 50 Fathoms, Sundered Skies, or Space 1889?

Part of the reason I think that Lost Colony is considered underdeveloped as a setting is because it was entirely fictional. Unlike Deadlands, it isn't based on history, and unlike both, it doesn't take place in a familiar area. I think that both factors make the setting feel bigger because the players have an easier time filling in the blanks on their own. Because Lost Colony is entirely fictitious, I think it's harder for players to see it as a huge setting on the scale of Deadlands without Pinnacle publishing a great deal more than I'm guessing they'll want to.

Also, I know that trilogies are nice and everything, but I kind of feel like three full-blown settings is just too big. I mean, I personally feel that I can't game enough with my group to cover all three settings to my full satisfaction. Rather than having Pinnacle spread themselves thin on three vastly different settings, why not create a self-contained plot-point setting that draws on the previous two so as not to detract from their efforts to write for them? This would also give the possibility to provide a huge, epic conclusion to the Deadlands saga in a way that an open-ended setting can't.

Anyway, that's just my two cents on this idea. I'm curious as to what others think about it though.
Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bring up some good points, but personally I liked that LC was big. Deadlands had three settings all connected yet so vastly different in scope and gene that you could still get what you wanted from Deadlands and yet play the Western, Horror, Post-Apocalypse, or Space Western.

I would personally not by a PP book. I never liked pre made scenarios. The few times I did use them (Unity and Killer Klowns) I did some radical modifications. In the two years I ran my HoE champagne those where the only two I used even remotely close to the way they where written. 99% of the game was on the fly as the characters got an itch to travel to this place or that. That's how I run, so well explained settings with lots of background and history appeal to me as a player and GM.

That's why Deadlands drew me in. Rich history/back story large scope and the freedom to run any type of game I wanted. DL and HoE are well flushed out not only because they are falimar, but because they got the treatment they needed (10+ books each) but LC got so little. I understand that the company was going thing some changes, that things where up in the air, but I think LC could have been so much had it gotten the same treatment as the other two settings. And truth be told, LC could have been even bigger in scope than both it's predecessors and I would have loved that.

Just my $0.02

My Deadlands sites
The Lynchburg Journal
The Junkyard Intranet
The Temptation Reportl
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What if Lost Colony Reloaded was one Plot Point Campaign Reply with quote

Thunderforge wrote:
The thought then occurred to me: what if Lost Colony's scope were made smaller? What if instead of a full-blown setting, it was a single, epic Plot Point campaign setting like 50 Fathoms, Sundered Skies, or Space 1889?

I think you'd make the Reckoners too much of a pushover.

The four greatest evils to plague mankind are all taken out in one rush? I call foul.

And what about the Skinnies? The Tunnel? The human-annouk conflicts? The secret behind 'Mutes? That's a whole lot of awesome stories to chop out.

It's bad enough that LC only got two books (when it needed ~15 to explore it's depth). Not even pretending to resolve the conflicts it has built into it is just ... sad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: