Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[NE] Actual Play Plot Point Campaign - Player's Perspective
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gospog
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duck, our lovely and talented GM tells us that the campaign will wrap this summer, before the end of July (because that's when we host our in-home game convention every year). Wink

As for Ms. Glass, I have been plotting her use (and possible demise) for well over a year now. Ever since I formed my pet theories on who Dr. Destruction might really be.

Let's just say that Shiela Glass isn't the only one who knows how to set a trap. And that Dr. Alpha tends to be pretty particular when it comes to...bait. Twisted Evil
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see what sort of scheme the good doctor comes up with.
Gospog
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illness and travel for work is wreaking havoc with the schedule!

Hang in there. New game date to be announced ASAP.

-Tom
Gospog
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Aaaaaand we're back! Reply with quote

Ok, after numerous illnesses, business trips and unavoidable delays, we have our next game on the schedule!

It's this Saturday! Twisted Evil

The roster for the game looks like:

Dr. Alpha
UPS
The Huntsman
The Coyote
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurrah.
Gospog
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: MASSIVE SPOILERS IN THIS POST! Reply with quote

Date: May 1st
Therapist: Dr. Leonard Mortin
Subject: Omega
Session 227

DR.MORTIN: Are you ready to begin, Dr. Alpha?

OMEGA: Oh, indeed. I have a secret!

DR.MORTIN: Well, you have lots of secrets, Alpha. For example, where my fami-

OMEGA: Bah! Nothing so pedestrian! I know who Dr. Destruction really is.

DR.MORTIN: ...

OMEGA: Nothing to say? Don't you want to know who he is?

DR.MORTIN: You...you hate him. You've sworn revenge on him. Daily. For years.

OMEGA: Soon enough, my good Dr. Mortin. But first, the story of my genius and how I deduced his true identity...

The glowing sphere of UPS bobbed up and down in the Alpha Meeting Chamber, in front of the brooding Dr. Alpha.

“Wathca thinking about, boss?” the plasma-charged soviet asked.

“Destruction.”

“Yes! Good idea! Let's go blow something up! A few things, maybe. I know where there's an orphanage near here. They started taking in V'sori kids, too.”

“No, you cretin.” Dr. Alpha steeepled his metal-shod fingers in front of his face plate. “I am considering which of the two identities I have narrowed it down to is more likely to be Dr. Destruction's true, secret identity. I have a detailed theory surrounding each.”

“Oh boy, story time!” A large ferret ran into the room and hopped up on the table, “Let us hear it, boss!”

“Very well, Coyote. Though it is the intellectual equivalent of casting pearls before swine, I will give you a brief glimpse into the enormity of my inner thoughts. Brace yourselves.”

The ferret studiously removed some pine needles from its coat. UPS bobbed in a corner of the room, dimming slightly.

“My first suspect is that muscle-bound oaf, Champion. Many of the feats that Destruction purports to accomplish by science could be done with Champion's alien powers. Also, Champion would have many contacts in the surviving heroes., few as they are. He could “call them off” of us villains and let us all focus on the V'sori. Also, Champion has had an extremely long career. How do you recruit every villain on Earth? Well, first you have to know them all, even if that knowledge comes to you by virtue of having put each of them behind bars a few times.

But of course, the Hippocratic Oath swore that Champion died, right next to him. On V Day.

But as Delta so adroitly pointed out...he has survived worse. Or so it has seemed, time and again. We can't rule out Champion as a possibility.

My other suspect is King Meros, the Aquarian, former ruler of Atlantis. The facts build a strong case for this one. He would be able to do all the things Destruction does via a mix of Atlantean Science and Sorcery. He is long-lived and would have been alive for all of Destruction's career.

Furthermore, we saw no body after Atlantis was bombed into oblivion by the V'sori. No witnesses to his death.

And does anyone else think that it's a bit odd that the man who is a master criminal...on land, and has built up such a deadly reputation...on land, has sent us to Atlantis multiple times? Has sent us to the old lab of hydra, the Aquarian's old foe?

And remember when I said I'd like to take Hydra's baby and experiment upon it? 'A child belongs with its mother' ,eh? A strange reaction from an evil mastermind. What happened between Meros, Hydra and the president's daughter? Remember Hydra's words? 'Meros came to me, tried to make me forget'

Did he, now?

And that, UPS, is why we haven't killed Sheila Glass. Even though she set us up and tried to humiliate us on tv. Sheila Glass was...involved with the Aquarian in the 1990s. That's how she got the only trip to Atlantis any human has ever reported on. If Dr. Destruction is the Aquarian, Ms. Glass could prove to be the perfect bait.

After that, you can have her. But for now, she is of no use to us dead.”

UPS bobbed happily in his corner.

Just then, the doorbell rang. The Coyote shape-shifted into Scrape and ran to get the door. He came back leading none other than Sheila Glass!

UPS darted over to confront her, “Lying bitch!”

Dr. Alpha pressed a button on the side of his throne. Metal shutters slammed down over all the winds and the exit doors. “Ah, Ms. Glass. We were just...discussing you.”

“Dr. Om- Alpha, this is hardly the reception a lady expects from a hero of your standing.”

“Oh please. You set us up. You tried to humiliate us on the Larry Stryker show.”

“I was just- is that a ferret at your meeting table?”

The Coyote (now shifted back to his ferret form) nodded his head, “Sup.”

Darting angrily around the room, UPS pulsed with electromagnetic power. A stream of sharp knives and bladed utensils flew out from the kitchen. They circled Sheila Glass, who seemed surprisingly calm, considering her circumstances.

“I would make whatever point you came here to make, Ms Glass. I am , as you can see, barely keeping my minions in check.”

The stream of flying steak knives whiled closer, actually cutting several inched of Sheila's hair off in the back.

“I am sending you the hairdressing bill for that!”

The Coyote lounged on the meeting table, “I've killed a few hairdressers. It was weird, but they were all screamers. Bleeders, too.”

Sheila Glass, ace reporter, started to pale a little. “Dr. Alpha, aren't you supposed to be heroes now, at least publicly?”

“Well, the Coyote was a serial killer and mass murderer. I have him on some mood-altering drugs that control his behavior. Now he only kills the V'sori. If that isn't a service to the public, I don't know what is. Oh, he also kills anyone that makes him angry. Just saying.”

The Coyote shifted into a giant, biped ferret. His fur was tinted green. “You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.”

“Y-you people are crazy.”

“Tsk, tsk. Is that any way to talk about Alpha Force...Sheila? Now, are you here for a purpose or do I give my two craziest minions an early Christmas?”

She seemed to regain some of her composure before answering. “I'm here with a mission from Dr. Destruction. A big one.”

Dr. Alpha leaned back in his throne. “It doesn't work like that anymore. To be blunt: what's in it for me? I guess we can start with the basics. What does Destruction want this time?”

“What do you know of Atlantean mythology?”

“Enough. And anything I don't know, I can ask one of my pet Atlanteans. Blood cultists. You'd love them. Anyway, you were saying?”

“Destruction has located the Crown of Atlantis. He says that it's in the Temple of the Seven Seas, in the Religious Quarter of Atlantis itself. With the crown, a man could-”

“-raise an army of ancient Atlantean warriors, I know. Two thousand of them correct? Such a force might really ruin the V'sori's day, at least for a short while. And Destruction wants this crown, eh?”

“That's what he said, yes.”

“I am wondering, Ms. Glass. Why are you really here? Dr. Destruction contacts us all too often, via our television or on the Internet. Why send his pet news reporter, hmm?”

“Well...it's personal.”

“It always is.”

“I...I asked Destruction for help but his resources are spread too thin. He doesn't have the time to help me look...for my son.”

“Fascinating. I was not aware you had a son.” Dr. Alpha gestured to UPS and the flying cutlery returned to the kitchen.

“No one is. He's been missing for months. He'd be about 10 years old now. I last saw him when I dropped him off for some martial arts class. Something about lobsters? Anyway, when I showed up to pick him up, the place was destroyed and he was gone. Oh, Billy...”

Dr. Omega thought back to the incident at the Lobster-Fu studio, years ago. A favor to Crab imperial, a decision by Scrape to “absorb” a little boy with obvious super powers...

“I think we can reach an agreement, Miss Glass.”

“You do?”

“Yes, we are not all so heartless as Dr. Destruction. Tell me: the father, it was King Meros of Atlantis, was it not.?”

Her calm facade shattered, Sheila Glass simply nodded.

“I can return your son to you in a few weeks. But I want something in return.”

“Name your price.”

“I want to know who Dr. Destruction is.”

“Ha! I wish I knew, Dr. Omega. I'd tell you if I knew, but I don't.”

“Alpha. And very well. You're a world class reporter. You...find things out. When next we meet, I want a full report. Everything you've got on who Destruction might be. Everything. Maybe we can puzzle this out together.”

“And you'll find Billy? Bring him back to me?”

“You have my word.”

“Ok, I'll do it.”, the reporter pulled out a pad of paper and a pencil, “Do you think you could get me a more comfortable chair, maybe a cup of tea?”

“You were just leaving, Miss Glass. My men and I are going to Atlantis.”

The “pet Atlanteans” went through the teleport tube first, to make sure that there was adequate air to breathe for the surface-dwellers in the area of Atlantis they were 'porting to.

Next were the undocumented Minions, all eight of them. They carried plasma rifles and chainsaws and set up a defensive perimeter for the villains.

Then Dr. Alpha led UPS and The Coyote back into Atlantis.

The Coyote gestured to the amulet around Dr. Alpha's neck. “Hey boss, I saw the head Atlantean Priest wearing the same amulet. What's the deal? You guys BFFs now?”

“Hardly, Coyote. This amulet is mystic in nature. It allows me safe passage into the Temple of the Seven Seas. Anyone without one will be destroyed. Meanstreak actually bought this from an Atlantean jewel thief quite some time ago. I...had to call her and ask her to borrow it.”

“Ouch.”

“Yes...ouch.”

UPS bobbed into view as they traversed an Atlantean courtyard, standing eerily silent. “But boss, if only you and that priest have these magic omelets, how do the rest of us get in?”

“Can you still flow electrically into my armor?”

“Da. Konechno” UPPS channeled his electrical energies into Dr. Alpha's battle armor. Coyote raised a questioning eyebrow. In response, Dr. Alpha dropped his purple cape to the ground.

“Ah!” The Coyote happily turned into a purple cape that flowed onto the maniacal doctor's shoulders. Dr. Alpha could not see the big, yellow letters on the back of the cape. He could not see that they spelled “KICK ME”.

The Temple of the Seven Seas was an impressive structure. On the surface, it would have been the centerpiece of any city. Here, it was simply another architectural wonder of Atlantis. It obviously owed as much of its construction to magic as to mundane architecture. Made of an opaque crystal, it soared into the sky, its top spires lost in a haze of clouds.

Dr. Alpha gestured for his minions and his Atlantean cultists to spread out and cover his entrance into the temple, “Priest, you're with me.” With a rush of displaced air, Dr. Alpha disappeared and entered the temple via teleportation.

At the large double doors of the edifice, an Undocumented Minion pushed experimentally at the portals. They swung open easily, emitting a seething carpet of scarab beetles! The ravenous flesh eaters covered the hapless minion, who began to scream.

The other minions opened fire with plasma rifles, trying to force the tide of death back into the temple.

Deeper inside the Temple of the Seven Seas, Dr. omega had found the Crown of Atlantis sitting on a pedestal, bathed in light. “Too easy”, the overlord of evil snatched the golden crown up and set it on his own head. Nothing happened. He turned to the Atlantean Priest.

Any questions were cut off as another Atlantean priest, this one dressed far differently than the leader of the blood cult that served Dr. Alpha, rushed from the shadows. He was screaming in Atlantean and waving a curved blade fully six feet long.

“What is he saying?” Alpha asked his Blood Priest ally.

The curved sword smashed into Dr. Alpha's breastplate with a hollow clang. “He is angry.”

“You don't say.”

Outside the temple, the plasma gunnery had attracted the attention of a K'tharen patrol. Five of the beasts stomped into the courtyard in front of the temple, weapons ready. Seeing their hated foe, the Atlantean cultists drew their Sacred Blades and charged.

The Undocumented Minions had all they could do to keep the scarab beetles from overrunning yet more of them. Two of them had already been flensed down to the bone by the carpet of death creeping out of the temple.

Back in the Temple of the Seven Seas, the mad Atlantean priest shouted some sharp commands in Atlantean. Two columns of water materialized, growing arms and snarling faces.

“Elementals!” shouted the Blood Priest as he dived out of the way of a vicious jet of water and gravel. They other elemental shot a surge of water out that knocked the crown from Dr. Alpha's head and delivered it to the priest who had summoned the beings of water. He grinned in victory.

Dr. Alpha crossed his arms over his chest plate. “Coyote! UPS! Finish this!” Alpha's cape shot out and entangled the hands of the Atlantean priest. His face looked suddenly panicked. UPS arced out of Dr. Alpha's armor and into the priest, electrocuting him instantly. The crown dropped to the floor of the temple. Dr. Alpha picked it up.

He spared a glance out the temple doors. The minions had cleaned up the last of the scarab beetles and the blood cultists had carved the K'tharen to pieces, though not without a few casualties of their own. Good enough. He then looked up and around him and got a good look at the temple walls.

Every inch of the walls were inlaid with gold and featured pictographs, carvings and sculptures. Taken together, they told a story.

Dr. Alpha found what he assumed to be the starting point and began walking the room, reading the story as he went. “Look. Look here!”, he pointed.

“The Atlanteans...they had some kind of...civil war. Half of them look to be using advanced technology. They others...magic.

See here? It looks like the losers were forced out. Were forced...off the planet. Into space.”

Dr. Alpha looked around him. “Blue skinned Atlanteans. Forced off planet. Into space. And now...they're back. Huh.”

Alpha gestured to the walls and asked his Atlantean Blood Priest, “These carvings, how old do you think they are?”

“Hard to say, Dr. Alpha. Thousands of years old, certainly. They use only the bare rudiments of what the Atlantean alphabet is today. A...primal version, if you will. They're very, very old.”

“Fascinating. Well, the temple isn't exploding or burning down. Despite the feeling of a job left undone that evokes, I suppose we should leave. Give me two minutes to photograph all of this, every inch. I'll meet you outside.”

Outside the temple, the group formed up and bundled their dead up for transport back to the mansion.

Dr. Alpha drew the Atlantean Blood Priest aside, “This crown, this is the true Crown of Atlantis, correct?”

“Yes doctor, that is it.”

“”And it summons thousands of Atlantean warriors?”

“Yes. It does that.”

“But when I put it on, nothing happened. I didn't even feel anything. Nothing.”

“Yes. That is because you are human. It will only work for an Atlantean king.”

“Oh. Well then it's of little use to me. I'm no Atlantean king. I might as well give it to Doctor De- Son of a bitch!!!”

“M-my lord?”

“UPS, Coyote, hurry back to the mansion. Get out the comfiest chair and put on a pot of tea. We are are having company again.”

TO BE CONTINUED
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: MASSIVE SPOILERS IN THIS POST! Reply with quote

Gospog wrote:
“UPS, Coyote, hurry back to the mansion. Get out the comfiest chair and put on a pot of tea. We are are having company again.”

Why not have Cardinal Fang do it? Razz
Timon
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading my copy of NE alongside these play reports makes it clear just how creative your GM is.

NE is a well-constructed and detailed plot-point scenario, but in these play reports there are lots of extra little touches, riffs off player actions, that go way beyond the source material and make it something even better. It is a lesson in what GM-ing is all about.
Gospog
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timon, I have forwarded your kind comments to our GM.

She is hands-down the best GM I have ever played with*. We are extremely lucky to have her committed to this game. And by the end of it, with the way we behave, she very well may be committed!

Anyway, thanks.

(*lucklily for me, she is also my wife) Smile
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as how your NE campaign is about to wind down, any plans for you next Savage Worlds campaign?
Gospog
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a slightly complicated question, Duck.

My wife is a bit burned out on GMing. So she's going to finish out Necessary Evil and then take a break.

During that break, I will pick up my Dark heresy campaign (on hiatus right now, after 2 and a half years of great games). I will run a dozen or so games of that (maybe more?) before going back on break myself.

At that point, we may open is up to a guest GM for a bit (our group is full of talented and clever GMs) or my wife will step back in with what (at this point) looks like a home-brewed Fantasy game (Savage Worlds).

But we'll see...
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I made that last post, I've been thinking that Rippers might be a good fit for your group. Perhaps the Explorer's Edition of Rippers will be out by the time your Dark Heresy campaign winds down.
Gospog
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I've never much been excited by the idea of Rippers. Though to be fair, I don't know a ton about it.

I can tell you that my wife has made it clear that her next campaign will be home-brew and possible a sand-box style of game. No more Plot Point Campaigns for a while.

I am excited to play Fantasy again. But that will be some time down the road...
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gospog wrote:
No more Plot Point Campaigns for a while.

But Plot Points are so wonderfully easy on the GM compared to homebrewing your own.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newForumNewName wrote:
Gospog wrote:
No more Plot Point Campaigns for a while.

But Plot Points are so wonderfully easy on the GM compared to homebrewing your own.

Depends on the GM. Though personally, I agree.
Gospog
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feedback from my wife\GM is that the Plot Point campaign is more work for her.

This is because we do things that are completely unpredictable and apparently totally unforeseen by either the campaign writers or the GM.

As a result, she is forced to choose between trying to steer us back onto the general path of the campaign while not railiroading us (too much) and just throwing out whole chunks of the campaign as written.

She is an experienced and talented GM. She does not foresee any issues in running her own game and a campaign of her own making.

Even more exciting, one of the ideas she is entertaining is having us, the Players, create the world. Then she will run it. That would kick ass!
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gospog wrote:
The feedback from my wife\GM is that the Plot Point campaign is more work for her.

This is because we do things that are completely unpredictable and apparently totally unforeseen by either the campaign writers or the GM.

As a result, she is forced to choose between trying to steer us back onto the general path of the campaign while not railiroading us (too much) and just throwing out whole chunks of the campaign as written.

Your wife seems pretty darned good at adapting the campaign to her "unpredictable" players. Wink

Thing is, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Throwing Out Whole Chunks Of The Campaign option. The plot point is there to help with a campaign, not to restrict it. Use what works and forget the rest is an absolutely viable way to apply it.

www.peginc.com
Gospog
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint, I think the issue for her is that she really likes the Plot Point campaign and wants us to get to do all the cool stuff that is entails.

In fact, for several games in a row, we apparently did "side games" that did not impact the overall plot very much, becuase they were super-cool things she wanted to make sure we got to do.

So, we pretty much want to have our cake and eat it, too. Isn't that always the way?

Next game: May 28th! And we're going to have pretty much everyone but the Huntsman! (he's at Army National Guard Drill)
Timon
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nding Clint on your noble wife's ability to weave stuff that seems to have an arc out of bits of the plotpoint and whatever you guys do.

My personal inspiration for "sandboxing it" is the brilliant Apocalypse World by Vincent Baker. It is a different system, but the GM-ing philosopy, approach and structures are usable in SW and certainly worth the price of admission.
Gospog
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next game this Saturday! #gunbattle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: