Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

(classic) The agility power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Templar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: (classic) The agility power Reply with quote

I was looking at the Agility power and I saw that it allowed you to allow an object to act independantly, giving it a quickness, nimbleness and deftness rating. Hypothetically, if a player was building a suit of power armor could they use this to raise the wearers deftness, nimbleness and quickness the way that they could through strength?
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Marshal's permission, yeah.

Raising the attack attributes (Deftness and Nimbleness), and the action stat (Quickness) is a lot less balanced than raising Strength. So, I'd be leery of letting it raise those stats, and downright cautious about letting them rise more than 1 step.
Think about it this way: Computer assistance can only do so much. At a certain point it all comes down to the ability of the person using the technology.

Good luck.
Templar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the marshal in the game and I had noticed it, I am looking at building a few junker enemies and am playing with ideas. The other thought I actually had was maybe instead of giving a deftness boost maybe instead make it some kind of flat bonus to hit per step or something similar.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Templar wrote:
I'm the marshal in the game and I had noticed it, I am looking at building a few junker enemies and am playing with ideas. The other thought I actually had was maybe instead of giving a deftness boost maybe instead make it some kind of flat bonus to hit per step or something similar.

Are you having trouble hitting the posse, or just trouble hurting them?

If the former, I'd just attach a cyborg targeting computer to the suit and call it done. The ability to ignore 6 points of penalties is huge.

If the latter, use bigger guns, or high AP, or both. Or just say "screw it" and start lobbing explosions at them until they die / are sufficiently wounded.

Finally, the Deader power Unholy Reflexes (Book o' the Dead) is a fun surprise to add to any villain. "But he's not dead?"
"Then jam a harrowed brain into his power suit, or a Spirit Fetter that pulls that power from the manitou. Or just cheat and say he does it."
+3 action cards per round, max of 8? Yes please.
Templar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, not having trouble hitting them exactly, we're still finishing up the weird west stuff. I'm looking at it more because I could see one of my players getting an idea, and I'm somewhat unsure on it so wanted advice and thoughts on it.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Templar wrote:
Oh, not having trouble hitting them exactly, we're still finishing up the weird west stuff. I'm looking at it more because I could see one of my players getting an idea, and I'm somewhat unsure on it so wanted advice and thoughts on it.

Ah. Good stuff, planning ahead. Cool

General advice on increased Traits, especially for PCs:
The "Attack Stats" (Deftness, Nimbleness, casting stat) don't need it. PCs can hit everything already; not all the time but often enough. Letting these increase just makes them all the more likely to try and kill it before they know anything about it.
The "Resistance Stats" (Vigor, Spirit for non-Faithful) are tolerable and just as likely to get the PC killed as help them survive (extra wind means they're still standing when the raiders finish their first volley, so they shoot again before riding off, inflicting fatal wounds).
Strength, and other utility stats, are fine. Let the players feel that their characters are monsters. It won't save them. Twisted Evil

Good luck and have fun.
Jack_Spade
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is to avoid giving stats too easily. The "standard" powered armour suits were modified to not give bonuses to any other stat besides strength; I suggest following this model (as of the Denver book as far as I can tell).

On the other side to this is to limit a pilots' Deftness and Nimbleness by what the suit has. That is, if the suit has a d10 Deftness, then the maximum would be a d10 stat for the pilot, even if he had a higher one. I would make Pace the exception though, with the following modifier; any bonus number above d12 for Nimbleness (d12+2 for example) would give a bonus to the pilot's pace score, while a low Nimbleness would not penalize the pace.

Finally, my suggestion for Strength as a modifier is that the stat must be above d12 (ie: d12+2) to give a bonus to Strength.

This makes the creation of Powered Armour not a trivial task; every aspect of the suit takes up a fair portion of the whole. Below, I'll make an example.

First part is the basics you need to consider:
1. Passenger - to make it simple, we'll use the precedent put forth under the locomotion power (70 slots);

2. Size - in order to cram in goodies beyond just a person, we'll use a larger frame than the minimum 5 required (5 being a form-hugging suit) - frame 7 (182 slots) will be used for the example.

3. Powers - obviously some planning needs to take place; I will use Super Strength, Agility, and the Armor power as the basics.

3.1 Armor - at minimum this power uses slots equal to 10%, or 18.2 slots.
3.2 Agility - for a reasonably non-restrictive suit, we'll use a d12 base, or slots equal to 5%; 9.1 slots.
3.3 Super Strength - a basic Strength-enhancing suit using my above suggestion would require 15% of the suit's slots for a d12+2 (up from d8s), or 27.3 slots.

4. Sub-Total - currently we'll do an inventory of where we are:
Passenger (70) + Armor (18.2) + Agility (9.1) + Super Strength (27.3) = 124.6 slots of 182 slots, leaving us 57.4 slots to work with.

This suit only has an AV 1, with additional increases being expensive without using raises on the roll to increase the suits' armour value. But that aside, this would leave room for the installation weapons, climate-control, and a power-source. At minimum a Power-Jack should be installed, for 2 slots.

As a final point to note, this thing is reasonably cheap on energy, currently using up 7.5 drain per hour.

That's my suggestion anyways, as both a Marshal and as a player with a fair bit of junking experience.
Edivdrone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weighing in late, I would say that with regards to Player's stats, the Agility power should only have an effect if used in conjunction with the Biomechanics power(Iron Oasis pg. 119). Its purpose is to raise the stats of devices, not people. With regards to power armor, I would say that the most that should be allowed is the reduction of penalties due to the size and bulkiness of the suit, as with systems for non-Junker suits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: