Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wand, Staff and Big Pointy Hat. It must be a Wizard!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasales
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Wand, Staff and Big Pointy Hat. It must be a Wizard! Reply with quote

[The following article uses the term "wizard" to mean any character possessing the Wizard edge in The Dream Lands setting.]

A wizardís power comes from the secrets he keeps. The uninitiated do not know of the information that follows. It would be wise, not to pass on what you learn here.

A wizard gathers The Essence with his thoughts and then shapes it with his desire and knowledge of wizardry. This control is never more tenuous than during the initial shaping of a spell. Sometimes too much power is gathered too quickly. Sometimes, control is lost and a backlash is visited on the wizard for his troubles. Because it is the mind that controls the spell shaping it is the mind that takes the brunt of the backlash.

Not all failed spell castings cause a backlash of course. A backlash is caused when the wizardís mental focus on spell shaping causes The Essence to unravel the spell violently in a cascade dissonance which starts at the wizardís head and travels out to his extremities.

Many a madhouse are host to not a few former wizards.

However, wizards being the clever devils that they are, have discovered a way to draw off the excess power of a failed casting so that a cascade dissonance is averted. It has been discovered that while the cascade dissonance starts in a wizardís head, it quickly travels along the outside of his body and escapes off the tips of the fingers and toes. By using special weaves of cloth, cut in shapes harmonious with the flows of Errene Essence, uncontrolled power can be drained off the body quickly.

Wizard weaved cloth, in large amounts and with points near the extremities can save a wizardís mind from backlash. This is accomplished by wearing robes with long pointed cuffs, pointed shoes, and most importantly, big pointy hats to draw the power away from their heads. If a wizard is dressed as such, the risk to their mind is mitigated. Wizard weaved cloth is made by master weavers and Wizard Guilds pay them well to keep the secret.

Some argue that the shoes must be shiny or have buckles of silver. Some say the tips of the shoes should be curled. Others argue for or against a hat brim. There has been no conclusive evidence that any of these accoutrements have any effect whatsoever.

New Rule
Wizard Backlash in The Dream Lands
Backlash in The Dream Lands works much like standard backlash found in SWEX but with the following addition. If a Wizard takes a wound from backlash (because he was already shaken from a backlash) he must immediately make a vigor roll or have his Smarts reduced by one die type. The wizard also picks up a mental quirk or delusion. If a wizard is wizard wearing wizard weaved robes, pointed shoes and either a pointed hat, or extensive collar (ala Ming the Merciless) no roll is needed.

Wizard Edge
This edge is the same as that in SWEX with the following addition. A wizard can make a Spellcasting roll at -2 to create a Wand or Staff at the first game session after he advances. Bennies my be spent as usual.

A wand is a spell focus that helps the wizard by increasing his Spellcasting die type by one. The wand must be in hand when the Power is used. This increase can only ever be one higher than the wizardís current Spellcasting skill die. This base power of the wand only works for the wizard who created it. A wand that is found can be used, it just needs to be attuned to the new wizard, which is the same process of creating one.

A Staff stores power for the wizard. When created it will contain one Power Point per rank of the Wizard. The staff can only contain one Power Point per rank of the wizard so further Spellcasting rolls are useless unless the wizard has gone up in rank. When a wizard goes up in rank he can try the Spellcasting roll again to add another Power Point to the Staff. The Wizard may freely use these Power Points in his spells to add to his own Power Point total or use them just from the staff if needed. The Power Points recharge in the staff at the same rate Power Points recharge for the wizard who made it. A found staff must be attuned just like a wand.

Cost of Wand and Staff
Typically the wand and staff are made from things that the wizard has gathered in his adventures and no additional cost is needed. They ALWAYS have a crystal of some sort at the top. This is used to gather and focus magical energies.

Special Woods and Crystals
Some wizards are not satisfied with just any old wood or crystal. In experimenting with different materials some small enhancements have been found. Of course these special woods and crystals must be paid for. Cost reflects their usefulness to wizards and their cut, not necessarily their inherent mineral value. Many types of wood, wood treatments and crystals exist. Below is a very short example list.

Special Crystals

Amethyst, 25GP
Increases concentration, +1 to maintain ongoing spells when the Wizard takes damage.

Carnelian, 80 GP
Fire association, +1 damage when used to cast a fire based spell

Tiger Eye, 20 GP
Psychic Power enhancement, +1 to Spellcasting roll for the Puppet power

Special Woods
Basswood, 20 GP
Healing Breezes, +1 to Spellcasting rolls for the Healing power, but only when used under a basswood tree.

Cedar, 30 GP
Protection and preservation, increase Spellcasting die type one higher when used with the Deflection power.

Hickory, 15Gp
Influencing Presence, +1 inch range when used with the Command Edge
Alcamtar
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is BRILLIANT. Hands down the best explanation I have ever read for why wizards wear robes and funny hats instead of a steel suit. Surprised

I would be inclined to use a simpler rule: A wizard wearing wizard robes is not shaken during spell backlash. I don't think this is unbalancing, since he is also giving up the ability to wear armor.
Mylon
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the explanation a lot. I don't quite like the idea of permanently losing a die type under some circumstances, as the spells in the book aren't excessively powerful. Should throw them a bone though to make up for giving up armor, like getting Detect Arcana and Light for free.
Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If a wizard is wizard wearing wizard weaved robes

Whot?? Wink Wink

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY
jasales
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alcamtar - Thanks! I would use your simpler rule also except The Dream Lands setting has alot of mad wizards running around and this is one of the reasons.

Mylon - good points, I'll mull that over for a bit. They can wear armor, it is just that they risk things then. If they wear the robes, hat and shoes then they are ok. I could see dropping the die loss and just coming up with some minor quirks, insanity things that get progressively worse. Hmm...will sleep on it.

Lord Lance - "Whot??" - you caught that, good job! Yes, there will be another article on the robes themselves and it will explain why they have moons and stars and other nonsense on them. It will be much in the vein of the Smoking Herbs and Wizard Pipes articles I did before. It is a short article. Coming soon.
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, this is for your campaign?

Some good stuff here. For my game, while the cloth is necessary, the fancy flourishes and curlicues and such (and stars and moons!) would be strickly fashion affectations.
I would leave the backlash intact and just add worse complications for wearing metal. (it's a good conductor!)
I would expand damages to include other traits like Agility and Strength, maybe more. Losses wouldn't be permanent, perhaps have them "heal" back naturally.
Regarding staves, I wouldn't penalize the wizard for a poor roll when he raises a level, I would have periodic tests beginning at the new level until he raises a point.
And I wouldn't require that wands have a crystal. but I do like the different effects the different materials have. You could throw some really rare stuff in there; the subject of a quest all by themselves.

I was also thinking it might be fun to have different schools of magic just like the different schools of swordsmanship in other works.
(i.e.: The alumni of one school have a +1 to resist being interupted during spellcasting because of the hours spent sitting quietly practicing patience)

SteveN
jasales
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snate56 - campaign? yes. As the campaign world is developed and the players learn more, I publish articles about the setting on explodingdice.com and sometimes here. Lately I have been revealing the pieces of the magic chapter.

Eventually I'll be releasing it as a free readymade plotpoint campaign and setting for interested players and GMs. The setting explains alot of traditional fantasy tropes (like wizards and robes) or does away with them if they don't make sense (dwarves using axes), for example.

Staves: since advances happen pretty regularly it gives the player something to look forward to. Also, since it is done at the beginning of a session after an advance they have to balance the want of a staff or wand with their remaining bennies for the session.

Example crystals: these were just basics, rare expensive ones with unique powers would definately become quest items. More fun for everyone.

My hope is that if GMs read some of this and find something they like they can steel it for their own games and thus spread the fun around. It sounds like this has gotten the creative juices flowing and that is good.

I like your magic school idea. I don't know if I have room in it for The Dream Lands but certainly some areas could have some distinctive techiques/results in their spell casting. Very nice Snate56.
Mylon
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasales wrote:
My hope is that if GMs read some of this and find something they like they can steel it for their own games and thus spread the fun around.

If they steel it then they'd risk backlash because they're not using Wizard Weave robes!

Kidding aside, you don't list the drawbacks to wearing armor. I assume without the robes any failure on spellcasting is a backlash for a shaken status?
jasales
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one lol!

If a wizard wears anything other than the items designed to draw away the backlash then normal backlash applies. This goes for being naked or wearing a kilt and sandals or a plate corselet.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Wand, Staff and Big Pointy Hat. It must be a Wizard! Reply with quote

jasales wrote:
Others argue for or against a hat brim.

Definitely for. Without a brim, anyone wearing such a hat looks like they should be sitting in a corner for sassing the teacher.
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is absolutely brilliant!!!
Count Zero
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, you win the D&D No-Prize! Wink
jasales
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed it.

I stayed away from talking about armor and just focused on the robes and hat and shoes etc. Why? If one talks about armor blocking the magic or being a conductor too much science enters the picture and the magic is killed. It has to remain a barely tameable force, and always full of surprises or it loses it's...magic. Smile
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your sterio type about the hats is not true I made two little pointy hats for a friends cats named Gandalf and Merlin and they are not wizards they are just cats
jasales
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I never said wizards are the only ones to wear pointy hats. But that aside I would caution you. The fact that Gandalf and Merlin have you believing they are just cats, well you can see now how powerful they are. They even got you to make them their hats. Do they make you feed them and groom them too? Take care friend. Meddle not in the affairs etc.
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the wizard that doesn't go in for any of that stuff that you need to worry about...

SteveN
Lord Inar
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:
...I made two little pointy hats for a friends cats named Gandalf and Merlin and they are not wizards...

They are now!
Best Internet page ever
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Hats for cats Reply with quote

For those who thought I ever make stuff up I present the Hats for Cats

Merlin the Cat's Hat

Leprechaun the Cat's hat

Gandalf the Cat's Hat

jasales
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! That is great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: