Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your fantasy?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Break Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How much magic do you like in your fantasy settings?
D&D Style. Magic is commonplace, everyone knows about it, and magic items are a commodity.
17%
 17%  [ 18 ]
Middle-earth Style. The world is a magical place, but true spellcasters are rare (even among PCs) and magic items are unique and difficult to come by.
33%
 33%  [ 34 ]
Conan Style. There is some magic in the world, but its rare, dangerous, and to be avoided at all costs (even by the PCs).
12%
 12%  [ 13 ]
Harry Potter Style. Magic and magic items are commonplace, but the world at large isn't aware of it.
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Lovecraft Style. Magic is extremely uncommon and generally ritualistic. The PCs can learn it, but at a terrible price.
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Star Wars Style. Similar in many ways to Harry Potter Style. Magic is fairly common and known to just about everyone, but only certain people can wield it.
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
Other. There is a Style I prefer that doesn't fit those rather broad descriptions, and I'll tell you about it in my post.
19%
 19%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 102

SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: What's your fantasy? Reply with quote

Now, now, that's not a suggestive thread subject... get your mind outta the gutter! Mr. Green

Basically, when you play or run a fantasy RPG, how magical is it? What's the level of magic you prefer?
Kristian Serrano
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say D&D style, but what I really prefer is Eberron style in which magic has evolved as a source of technology applied to create convenient living. Lighting, hospitality, warmth, cleaning, transportation, entertainment, etc. are all provided or enhanced by low-level magic which is ubiquitous.

Additionally, NPC clergy aren't magic casters. Truly divine clerics are rare. Most clergy are just persuasive with knowledge of religion. True clerics (and paladins) are expected to travel the world and do 'good' for their cause.

I also like the idea of having some real world late-1800s/early-1900s technology analogs in Eberron. A skycoach in Sharn is a cab. A House Sivis messenger station is a courier or telegraph. A lightning rail is obviously a train.
Raise Calculator

Last edited by Kristian Serrano on Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rachan
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Other. Just because I couldn't pick one. I would say not D&D, and not Star Wars, and only Harry Potter with the right group. The other three are tied for the Win.
BluSponge
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine isn't on the list. Swashbuckling low fantasy. Put Solomon Kane and 7th Sea in a blender, add tequila and lime juice, mix well and there you go. Hear me out there licensees?

Tom
kreider204
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, this is a tough one. For context, I should say I've only recently gotten back into RPGs, maybe a couple of years ago. Before that, I didn't do any serious gaming since the mid-80s, and that was AD&D / Greyhawk, so that style of fantasy still appeals to me, if only for nostalgia reasons. I've been buying SW setting books like crazy over the last year and a half, especially fantasy, and I'd have to say that Runepunk is really capturing my imagination so far. Still, if I were to pick one of the above to start playing right now, I'd probably lean toward Middle Earth style. I like magic, but the amount of magic - especially magic items - available in the old Greyhawk setting almost made it mundane.
shadd4d
Legendary

Location: Charlottesville, VA...I miss Deutschland and Chicago.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other: I'm an old school Shadowrun player, and I find that game's presentation of magic the one I feel most comfortable with. It's just another thing incorporated into the world. It's slightly more than Star Wars; after all, if there are necromancers in D&D, why aren't they in charge of countries with exceptional agricultural harvests due to an essentially unlimited workforce?

Edit: It strikes me that Shadowrun is essentially a Hellfrost-type presentation of magic, where it is common. If you consider alchemical devices the equivalent of anchoring and foci, then Shadowrun and Hellfrost assume similar levels of magic.

As I said, Shadowrun. With a possible addition of The Death Gate Cycle (best magic concept ever) and Alpha Omega.

"But there is a difference between fear and horror. An important difference.
Fear is when you worry about what might be.
Horror is when you are certain." Dannyboy01

Last edited by shadd4d on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BluSponge wrote:
Mine isn't on the list. Swashbuckling low fantasy. Put Solomon Kane and 7th Sea in a blender, add tequila and lime juice, mix well and there you go. Hear me out there licensees?

Tom

That's my preference, too. That's more or less Middle-earth style. It's a magical world in general, but true magic users and magic items are uncommon.

I'd love to see a Savage 7th Sea, too! I never played the original version, but the concept is right up my alley. Mr. Green
Savage_Mask
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second DPM with Hellfrost. Magic items, relics, shouldnt be bought in a magic shop. They lose their uniqueness if they are mass produced or common.

But I also like the Eberron style and sword and sorcery style of Conan and Solomon Kane.

I'm not a purist of any fantasy type, if it's fun and appeals to my imagination, I'll run it.
inlife9
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I do not enjoy running Middle Earth games any longer, I do like worlds where magic is still, largely, hidden from the common world.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D&D or Conan. Both styles appeal depending upon my mood and my desired campaign.
Thasmodious
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amaril wrote:
I say D&D style, but what I really prefer is Eberron style in which magic has evolved as a source of technology applied to create convenient living. Lighting, hospitality, warmth, cleaning, transportation, entertainment, etc. are all provided or enhanced by low-level magic which is ubiquitous.

This. For me, Eberron is the D&D setting that makes the most sense with the D&D style of magic. I ran a fun 4e game where the PCs were magic item merchants/hunters. I can't say I'm a fan of the magic shop in every town trope, but there would be a market for such things with D&Ds/Eberron's basic assumptions.
steamdriven
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my fantasy is more grim gritty in your face nordic epic quests!

magic is common but you are born with it most of the time, none of this becoming a spell caster after you are born.

magic items are not that common, old play things of the gods and gifts left scattered around the world and the good stuff are one off items that often carry a cures or some other misfortune should you use it. very few people can make magical items. finding such a person is a long and dangerous quest

races are about as far removed from d&d games as you can get. again all have that old Norse twist

and there is death, lots of death. characters die and will not come back from the dead very often. if they do find a way out of the underworld it is for a short time and they are not always the same person, demons have been known to use these rifts opened in to the moral realm to talk over the body and use it to for-fill some inhuman task

the gods have a very active roll in the game. aiding the players as well as trying to stop them or simply toy with them just to see what they would do.

I know that sounds a bit like Hellfrost from what wiggy has told me back when he was writing it but I don't own any of the books.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OSIAdept
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what i want for that particular setting.

Usually i go for a Conan Vibe but if am running a horror setting i go for a cthulhu style and if i mix genres like my space opera i use the magic is common but only a few can use it

My online art portfolio
http://paintedsamurai.deviantart.com/

Black Stag Publishing
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Stag-Publishing/223736847644167?sk=wall
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me I picked Conan-style, but more specifically, I'm thinking Fritz Leiber, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. Magic is there, but it's foreboding, eerie, etc. It's a little like Conan, if perhaps Howard collaborated on it with his friend H.P. Lovecraft.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
coyote6
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other, in that I have no single preferred style. Depends on the campaign.
Rachan
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadd4d wrote:
if there are necromancers in D&D, why aren't they in charge of countries with exceptional agricultural harvests due to an essentially unlimited workforce?

Because zombies don't eat grain. But it you're looking for such a place, check out Thay, Forgotten Realms 4e. That's the first one that springs to mind.
TheLoremaster
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachan wrote:
Because zombies don't eat grain.

They do if they're vegetarian zombies ...

"GRAAIINS!!!! GRAAIINS!!!" Very Happy
Rachan
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*ba-da-ching!*
scourger
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among the poll options, I chose Middle Earth style. It best represents where I want my fantasy gaming to be overall. A little magic should go a long way but not be overpowering.
nonefornic
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fantasy, I'd have to say, is "flavour of the month." At the moment thats a Wuxia game and an epic on alternating nights. I tend to make settings which are usually narrow and focused. My groups also pretty mercenary, with no two games having the same combo of players.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Break Room All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: