Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with Sci-Fi setting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JmOz01
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Help with Sci-Fi setting Reply with quote

Before I get started a bit of an introduction on me: I have been playing SW sense Evernight came out (well a couple months after the first Gencon it was available at, but close enough). however it is not the primary system I run (I am mainly a Hero Games Player).

So I have an idea for a setting, with some ideas on where it will develop. Right now I am kind of just posting random ideas, that while coherent in my head I don't really know how to express quite yet. I started this with an idea for a Star Hero campeign that would combine elements of different SF I liked and the excelent Alien Wars setting for Hero. HOWEVER, the more I thought about it the more I felt that SW would cover the play experience I wanted more.

So some on the world as the players know it:

The players will be part of a Exploration/scout vessel, but a small one (While part of this IS modeled after Star Trek, I don't want them having a capital ship...then again with the switch to SW it is definatly more of an option).

Humanity has discovered alien life forms, but not intelegent ones, furthermore they have found proof of alien intelegent life, but not any living examples (archealogical finds, maybe some bones or such)

However thanks to genetics we have 3 new men races (Alphas have great str but not to bright, Beta's are smart, Gamma's are ... social) all of them will be counted as outcasts as part of there racial package

FTL work like Babylon 5's but requires a special engine once in the warp (So most ships have 2 drives, some also have the ability to open a warp window)

Some areas I am having trouble getting the right feel for however so I ask for help and indulgence

First problem area I am having is Cybernetics, I am right now thinking an arcane background, but am running into a problem with certain aspects (Namely things like if they want to have normal tools in a cyborg hand) I am toying with allowing them to have some power options that would let them add racial abilities. Probably modify the Weird Science AB for it

I am also debating if I should allow Psionics, but not really feeling it right now

So that is where I am, I welcome questions, suggestions, and CONSTRUCTIVE critisism
Strickland5
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybernetics could be covered similar to ShadowRun... using Spirit die type to determine how much cybernetics you can carry around.

The alternative (from the SF toolkit) is very similar to Necessary Evil with an Arcane Background and power points
JmOz01
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strickland5 wrote:
Cybernetics could be covered similar to ShadowRun... using Spirit die type to determine how much cybernetics you can carry around.

The alternative (from the SF toolkit) is very similar to Necessary Evil with an Arcane Background and power points

Is that the main SF Toolkit, or was it in the gear one? I looked over the descriptions but could not figure out which one had cyberwere in it...

I am definatly leaning towards a AB on it, as I want it to be fairly rare (As gear I might as well name the game WHEN CYBORGS COME TO YOUR WORLD!!!).
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with Sci-Fi setting Reply with quote

JmOz01 wrote:
Before I get started a bit of an introduction on me: I have been playing SW sense Evernight came out (well a couple months after the first Gencon it was available at, but close enough). however it is not the primary system I run (I am mainly a Hero Games Player).

That's okay, we want Steve to eat too. Wink

JmOz01 wrote:
First problem area I am having is Cybernetics, I am right now thinking an arcane background, but am running into a problem with certain aspects (Namely things like if they want to have normal tools in a cyborg hand) I am toying with allowing them to have some power options that would let them add racial abilities. Probably modify the Weird Science AB for it

Well, it depends on how prevalent you want cybernetics to be, but one option would be to make it Edge-based. For instance, the ability to have normal tools in a cyborg hand would basically be a variant of the McGyver Professional Edge translated to a "Cyber Edge" where the character has no need for tools because they are a part of him.

www.peginc.com
Poor Wandering One
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this counts as constructive though it is meant to be...
I am confused by the Gammas. How does very social play with outcast? Would they not just cancel out?

On cyber. My question is what do you want the cyber to do? Are we talking Luke's hand where the cybernetics is mainly fluff or more like Geordi's visor where the cyber user is better that an unaltered human. Or are you looking at the whole cyberpunk/Robo cop/ full conversion borgs and going from there?

Some other questions. Is cyber chic? Is cyber only used to repair injuries or are folks ripping out perfectly good eyes and arms to get metal ones?

Speaking of ripping, do you have access to Rippers? Their take on body augmentation might be worth a look. You may also want to look at the free Triple Ace Games "Tales from the sprawl" setting. I think they have cyber rules.

I hope the game works. Lookiing forward to hearing more.
~will
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JmOz01 wrote:
Is that the main SF Toolkit, or was it in the gear one? I looked over the descriptions but could not figure out which one had cyberwere in it...

The Sci-Fi Gear Toolkit has cyberware in it.

Poor Wandering One wrote:
I am confused by the Gammas. How does very social play with outcast? Would they not just cancel out?

I'm guessing "Gammas are ... social" in this case means "Gammas are designed for pleasure," in which case, they're possibly just NPCs. But again, that's just a longshot guess.

www.peginc.com
JmOz01
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On cyber. My question is what do you want the cyber to do? Are we talking Luke's hand where the cybernetics is mainly fluff or more like Geordi's visor where the cyber user is better that an unaltered human. Or are you looking at the whole cyberpunk/Robo cop/ full conversion borgs and going from there?

Some other questions. Is cyber chic? Is cyber only used to repair injuries or are folks ripping out perfectly good eyes and arms to get metal ones?

Speaking of ripping, do you have access to Rippers? Their take on body augmentation might be worth a look. You may also want to look at the free Triple Ace Games "Tales from the sprawl" setting. I think they have cyber rules.

I hope the game works. Lookiing forward to hearing more.
~will

Have not thought about how charismatic/Outsider would work together. I was looking at the F/X involved where the character would be a second class citizen (A heavily discriminated minority/slave class) compared to a slave race designed for "people skills" (Including yes pleasure).

Best way to think of it is this

Alpha: Physical Labor
Beta: Lab assistants, accountants, para legals, major domo's
Gamma's: Maids, Prostitutes, receptionists, waiters
JmOz01
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: CYBERS

Mostly replacments, but some room for improvments. Most people would not cut off there arm, but a few might.

I am going to allow the luke style cybernetics as pure gear (Except they will not be human looking)

I like the idea of using edges, it has some real merrit to it, more to think about...
JmOz01
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, well here comes the easy part

A new Skill: System Ops

System Ops is the skill for working with computers, Sensors, comm gear, etc...especialy in high pressure situations

A New Edge (Profesional)

Specilist: +2 to a subset of the skill (a certain vehicle type for Piloting for instance)
JmOz01
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the Players should have the following skills

Shooting d4
System ops d4
Piloting d4
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:

I'm guessing "Gammas are ... social" in this case means "Gammas are designed for pleasure," in which case, they're possibly just NPCs. But again, that's just a longshot guess.

In my rewrite of Jedi Chicks into my own Book/Movie/Game setting I replaced the dancing Twi Lek slaves girls with GenCats (Geniticly modified human/catgirl hybrids) escaped pleasure slaves schooled in dance who carry butcher knives are cool
JmOz01
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~will

BTW, yes I consider that constructive. I have dealt with other boards that break down to "This is stupid" or "This is Great", neither help, but pointing out problems is very helpful to me
Rohan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also going to throw in a pitch for Triple Ace's Tales of the Sprawl. Cybernetics are handled neat and clean in there. I won't give you details on it, but if one of the TAG guys wants to jump in here, I'm sure they'll be happy to do so.

Perhaps Mr. Anderson will be able to give you more info.

Become a fan on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Silvergryphongames

Current WIP: Wellstone City Chronicles, Puppets, and One-liners
JmOz01
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at tales of the Sprawl, liked what I saw, but was not what I was looking for for this.
JmOz01
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I looked at the Sci-Fi setting they had, pretty good.

anyways here is the timeline I came up with so far

The Final Frontier

The players are the crew of a Exploration vessel working for Earth Exploratory Expeditions (E3). E3 is a Mega-Corp on earth concentrating on exploring space and profiting from it. The standard procedure for E3 is to send out a scout craft, the craft makes an initial evaluation of what they find to the company who sends out a vessel specialized to take care of what is found (A Mining vessel, research vessel, etc…)

History of Earth

1997 astronomers noticed an impact on the surface of Europe (a moon of Jupiter), assuming it was just an asteroid it was noted and then soon forgotten
2053 Mankind creates a genetic species called the neoman,
2076 WWIII
2085 Aftermath of the war only 3 nations remain but mega corps are now more empowered
2089 Probe discovers remains of an alien ship on Europe
2093 Man’s first mission to Europe (Jupiter 1) salvages an alien ship
2097 Using tech from the salvaged ship a second ship is launched and immediately assumed destroyed (Jupiter 2) . The Jupiter 2 becomes somewhat of a “Flying Dutchman”
December 31 2100: Launch of Jupiter 3, using the last supply of Gilisite (a mineral required for warp drives). Jupiter 3 found a supply of Gilisite on a distant planet, and the space race was on.
2160 Now: Man has moved among the stars. While they have found strange creatures and plants, and even more evidence of alien races, they have yet to make contact with an intelligent alien.
Sean-Khan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about cybernetics too - right now I'm thinkin of them as edges, but characters with money can buy more than that; This however gives negative effects as it goes over their mental tolerance. Maybe CHA-2/item, and/or some nasty effects if spirit (talent) die becomes 1 - still under consideration.
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...those poor Robinson's just can't catch a break...

No biggie, but you probably mean Europa. Very Happy

You might just table cybernetics like psionics for the time being, see how the rest of your world comes out.

Reminds me of a game called Justifiers; they had similar second class citizens owned by the megacorps. They were anthropomorphic animals and could earn their freedom by going on dangerous missions for the corp.
You could remove the animal part, or just use three specific genomes.
Alpha: Bearlike
Beta: I dunno, Chimps?
Gamma: Catgirls!

Take a look at the free Savage version on Savageheroes.
http://zadkin.free.fr/Savaged_Justifiers.pdf
Based loosely on the Expendables science fiction stories by Richard Avery.

SteveN
amerigoV
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I can see it.

They are the people playing all the Facebook games. They constanty pester you for more bricks, wood, cows, flowers, etc. They are also the people that JUST WON"T LEAVE at the end of a party. I can think of tons of "social activities" that I dislike - so the GAMMAs must sense what social situations people hate and choose those activities (just like a cat can sense who is allergic to them, so that is the person they rub up against).
JmOz01
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amerigoV wrote:

Oh, I can see it.

They are the people playing all the Facebook games. They constanty pester you for more bricks, wood, cows, flowers, etc. They are also the people that JUST WON"T LEAVE at the end of a party. I can think of tons of "social activities" that I dislike - so the GAMMAs must sense what social situations people hate and choose those activities (just like a cat can sense who is allergic to them, so that is the person they rub up against).

More like the very nice second class citizen
kreider204
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Ripper has a system very much like cyberware (only biology based, and with horror themes). If you can afford a copy of the PDF, you might find some inspiration there. I think there are also some conversions out there, you might check Savage Heroes or Savagepedia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: