Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Massive to-hit rolls and player disappointment
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strongbif
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Massive to-hit rolls and player disappointment Reply with quote

Savage Worlds handles damage very elegantly, and I enjoy the practice of adding 1d6 damage to an attack if any raises are rolled. However, I have run into the situation a couple of times where Aced dice led players to score astronomically high on their to-hit roll. Their glee fades quickly when they discover that, mechanics-wise, it amounts to the same thing as rolling a single raise. I have pointed out that the intent behind the rule is to let players quit rolling after one raise to speed things up, but I find that players love rerolling aces under any circumstances and don't mind delaying the game for it. They're going to keep rolling anyway, so I want sustained player glee when they roll 25 or something on Fighting or Shooting.

In those cases, instead of counting raises, I propose a houserule that if a player obviously rolls way, way above one raise, it should confer some special benefit above and beyond +1d6 to damage.

A few such possible benefits have crossed my mind, and I'd like to run them by you:

* Everyone gets a bennie
* Player gets a second immediate free attack at no penalty
* Target gains a fatigue level regardless of the damage roll results
* Player may spend bennies on the subsequent damage roll
* Player may treat the attack as a called shot, even if it wasn't
* Player may immediately make a Test of Wills against any target as a free action
* Some combination or choice among these options
* Other?

What do you think?
islan
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say go with "Some combination or choice among these options," though I would specify that it is "your" (the GM's) choice. Feel free to reward players with varying prizes, I'm sure it would make it much more exciting.

I would say, though, to only give the bennie to player making the roll, rather than everyone. But really, just do whatever feels appropriate to any given situation.

PS

I really like that you went with a rewards system, rather than going with progressive damage bonus. It sounds like you really get the idea of Savage Worlds. Wink

I think I will be, ahem, "borrowing" your ideas here. Very Happy
Dewbakuk
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with giving the player who rolled a benny and maybe throw in something that suits the situation.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Massive to-hit rolls and player disappointment Reply with quote

strongbif wrote:
* Target gains a fatigue level regardless of the damage roll results
* Player may treat the attack as a called shot, even if it wasn't

I would not recommend either of these purely as listed. For one, Fatigue is more debilitating than causing a wound really and much worse than being Shaken. And on the other, there would be no point to make a Called Shot if you can still get the effect without the chance of missing entirely.

Personally, if the players are the kind that just have to roll the dice, then perhaps the best option I've ever seen is the Tiered Bonus Die.

1 Raise = +1d4
2 Raises = +1d6
3 Raises = +1d8
4 Raises = +1d10
5 Raises = +1d12

And that's it. It's not capped at one raise, but it is capped at 5 Raises. At that point, great, you've rolled 20+ over what you needed to hit, but it's time to move on to damage so the other players get a turn too. Wink

Still, they do get a bonus effect for up to 5 raises, it's a simple effect to remember as it follows the standard dice progression, and I think it has the least impact on the system overall of any options I've seen offered. I suppose it could even be less if it only applied to Wild Cards and Extras still got the flat bonus +1d6 for a single capped raise.

It's an option, though I will say some of the ideas posted above are very similar to thoughts on optional alternate effects of a raise on an attack roll that have been worked on. And I think Matt uses a house rule for getting a benny for a hitting an extremely high roll.

www.peginc.com
screenmonkey
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original way it was handled (i.e +2 damage per raise on the attack roll) always kept my players happy (they didn't even notice the Called Shots hiccup) and we played that way for years.
Poor Wandering One
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the "Everybody gets a benny!" option for 3 reasons.

1. It's like the fight is heating up and now it is time to bring on more awesome.

2. Rolling that many aces is a pure random event so it should not reward one player more than another or even one side more than another. Giving everybody a bennie provides everyone more resources with out giving anyone an advantage.

3. I tend to play a bit over the top and more bennies means more crazy stunts.

Mind you I would only avtivate this rule if a roll got at least 4 aces on the same die.

kneejerk thoughts
~will
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've actually had great success in our group by giving out a bennie reward for people who don't just keep rolling to see how irrelevantly high they can get a number. I've honestly been amazed at how much it speeds combat up. Truly.

I also realize this will not be the most popular plan out there. Sigh, if only you'd all think like I do. Oh, wait...please, don't do that. Please!
Talison
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players do love to keep rolling. I have one guy who keeps rolling aces so he can see that his total damage was 64 vs a human thug who is an extra. I'm like, "you rolled over 12, you are good."
GranFalloon
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give everyone the No Mercy edge. It doesn't give any extra bonus to folks that make many many raises, but it does help prevent the ol', "Hit with three raises! Yes! And I do... four damage..."

That's happened to my group more than once, including a called shot to the head where the attack roll was astronomical, but just ended up shaking the fella. I think you'll find your players will spend bennies on damage rolls when they hit with a million raises, rather than with one, just because they want to do that amazing attack roll justice.

Perhaps that should be it, after a certain number of raises, you get a benny that you may only spend on that damage roll.
TeknoMerk
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wondered about what to do for the case of multiple raises for attacks. I just tossed a bennie to the player, but I kind of like the tiered damage idea as well. I will try that in our next campaign game.

Creator of Savage Apocalypse
Savagepedia contributor
islan
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GranFalloon wrote:
Perhaps that should be it, after a certain number of raises, you get a benny that you may only spend on that damage roll.

Maybe one bennie for every Raise above the first, but all bennies must be used on that one damage roll? After the damage is dealt, all remaining bennies just disappear.
77IM
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, instead of +1d6 damage for one raise, say that for each raise, you may reroll damage once. So two raises, you are rolling damage 3 times and taking the best one (making it very likely to Ace on at least one of those). This sounds like it would slow the game down tremendously, but if most of your fights are between relatively few participants, it could work.

-- 77IM
AtomicTeaspoon
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If people insist on adding dmg based on raises, I'd say +1 for each raise after the first. Of course this depends on the gamestyle, but I wouldnt be excited about adding anything else to bog down the gameplay. Considering impossible circumstances, like a character with high parry, dim lighting, etc. passing the threshhold is that much more effective with raises.
77IM
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try adding a "special effect" per raise, such as:
- Knocked prone
- Sent flying 1" per raise
- Pace -1 per raise, on their next action
- Victim must make a Strength check at -1 per raise, or else drop their weapon (a softer version of Disarm)
- Victim is at -1 per raise against any Trick/Test of Wills you perform against them on your next action

These mix-and-match so you have to "spend" your raises on them. For example, if you get 6 raises on the attack, you could deal +1d6 damage, send the victim flying 2", and impose a -3 penalty to their Pace. This would obviously slow the game down, but may lead to more crazy fun attack results.

-- 77IM
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what Clint's put forward but the GM of the Weird Wars game we're playing in has gone for +1d6 dmg for 1-2 raises, +2d6 for 3-4 raises and +3d6 for 5+ raises. It is a bit more generous but doesn't come into it too often. Although I did roll a 43 to hit recently ... on a d10. Bizarre to Ace that many times on a d10 ... we practically shook the house with our roars of shock, surprise and glee.

Any Wild Card can do this though ... not just the PCs so this could be nasty for us too. Non-Wild Cards use the Rules As Written.

Apparently I hit the guy in the exact eyelash I was aiming for at 7" away with a 9mm Luger. It was pretty cool!
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes
razorwise
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpk wrote:
We've actually had great success in our group by giving out a bennie reward for people who don't just keep rolling to see how irrelevantly high they can get a number. I've honestly been amazed at how much it speeds combat up. Truly.

I also realize this will not be the most popular plan out there. Sigh, if only you'd all think like I do. Oh, wait...please, don't do that. Please!

This I like. Tremendously. I think I've found a new house rule after all these years. Oh joy!

Regards,

Sean
The Blur is Now on G+
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for GM's it's important 'during' rolling to say Hit and Raise as the numbers come up. If nobody knows the number they need to hit because of spells, powers, etc. of course the player will keep rolling.

I'm speaking of myself too so I'll be doing that from now on.
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes
chugosh
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that at my latest game, letting the players know what they were rolling for, and it worked pretty well. Sped things up nicely.
strongbif
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow- a lot of great ideas. Thanks!

I'm undecided between giving the player No Mercy for the subsequent damage roll, Clint's stepped bonus die, and giving bennies to players who forego excess rolls. I must ruminate.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strongbif wrote:
...and giving bennies to players who forego excess rolls.

I would just note like Joel said that if you can get your players into this habit, you may end up amazed how much faster combat runs. Plus, it's not like the mega-aced roll isn't still in the game; it's just limited to damage rolls where it does have an effect. We know it's fun; we're just promoting moderation. Wink

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: