Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting a new Hindrance after gameplay to gain a new edge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should my player get an extra Edge for this?
Yes!
38%
 38%  [ 5 ]
No!
61%
 61%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 13

Vinzent
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Getting a new Hindrance after gameplay to gain a new edge Reply with quote

I know that the rulebook says added Hindrances after character creation don't grant new edges but I wanted everyone's opinion on this.

My group just finished up beating the big bads and their giant Constrictor. One of the characters had gotten swallowed (actually he chose to dive in and I gave him a benny for chutzpah). He blew up the snake from the inside but was at -3 wounds when all was over.

The "paladin" character still has a boat load of bennies, power points, and the heal spell. Add to the fact that she almost always aces on her die. Well Karma is a ...lady of ill-repute.

She burns through all of her bennies and power points, but every roll was a failure. We're all laughing to the point of tears.

Now, my the patient/victim wants a new Hindrance (Cannot be healed by Faith based spells) to explain why she couldn't heal him. He's also angling for an extra edge out of the bargain.

The Hindrance he chose is going to affect him pretty badly, and it was his idea so I'm inclined to humor him. What do you think?
Crossroads
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the edge he's angling for fit in with the whole situation?

Either way I'd lean towards, Yes.

~G
UmbraLux
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give him an edge (or make one up) that fits the situation. You could call it the "Jump in Head First" edge. Smile It sounds like a good idea overall though!
shadd4d
Legendary

Location: Charlottesville, VA...I miss Deutschland and Chicago.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting a new Hindrance after gameplay to gain a new edg Reply with quote

Vinzent wrote:
Now, my the patient/victim wants a new Hindrance (Cannot be healed by Faith based spells) to explain why she couldn't heal him. He's also angling for an extra edge out of the bargain.

The Hindrance he chose is going to affect him pretty badly, and it was his idea so I'm inclined to humor him. What do you think?

How is it going to affect him pretty badly? It seems a lot less restrictive than similar hindrances in Sundered Skies/HellFrost, which are 1) major, 2) make all beneficial magic fail while aiding detrimental/offensive miracles targeting said character and 3) focus on how someone has offended the gods, rather than a string of bad luck. It just strikes me as something rather power-gamer-esque, which is why I voted no. The hindrances form, at least in my reading, a structure for role-playing. How does this hindrance send the victim on his way to try for redemption or amends with the god? Besides, you gave him a bennie for the chutzpah.

Or similarly posed in another game, if my character gains a major habit: cocaine, should this entitle that character to an edge solely because of gaining the habit? Especially if it's use of cocaine according to my own choice for the trait bonus (as in Rippers)?

Also isn't the string of bad luck more a question for the cleric and that character's connection to their patron deity.

"But there is a difference between fear and horror. An important difference.
Fear is when you worry about what might be.
Horror is when you are certain." Dannyboy01
Sadric
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he have somehow aqquired the Improved nagic resistance(clerical Magic) Edge. Smile
Make a Adventure where he tries to find out why and how he aqquired it.
Maybe its a old family curse (after the 30rd birthday all of your family are resistance against blessings), on magic object he carries, or such thing.
Is it really a Edge or more of a curse?
Can it be removed, and would he really remove the protection from holy interventions? Smile

If your players really like to have a new hindrance go with it, but maybe you could talk with him that this could give him some spotlighttime with a adventure designed about his background.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three things.

One, as was mentioned above, Arcane Resistance is an Edge with that drawback already in it.

Two, instead of gaining an extra Hindrance, what if the character trades out for one of the Hindrances they already have? Maybe a hindrance isn't as interesting as it was or the character has "outgrown" it.

And three, just create a double-edged sword like Arcane Resistance where it has the drawback but a benefit for a net zero effect. Like...

Tainted - The power of the snake cult has tainted your blood. Faith-based healing suffers a -2 penalty against you unless performed by a priest of a diety associated with snakes. On the plus side, you gain a +2 bonus to resist snake poison, and snakes react to you as if you had +2 Charisma.

www.peginc.com
Poor Wandering One
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend a couple of nice phobias, tight spaces/snakes and I don't see getting an edge as a too much of a reward for what happened. I would note that the other players will be wanting the same treatment. From their point of view you are giving one player a 'free' edge so they will want theirs.

Something to think about
77IM
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Yes, because the race-creation rules basically amount to a larger pile of Hindrances in exchange for more Edges.

However, I would not let the player pick the Edge, since races don't get to pick their additional Edges either. You pick it. I vote for "Hard to Kill." ;}

You might also stiff this player in the treasure department for the next few adventures to balance out. Depending on your campaign, I'd say a magic-item-with-Edge (a common sort of magic item in the FC) is worth about as much as Free-Edge-plus-Hindrance.

-- 77IM
Lord Inar
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

77IM wrote:
I would not let the player pick the Edge,...You pick it. I vote for "Hard to Kill."

That's exactly what I would do.
Best Internet page ever
OSIAdept
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently running a Fallout game and when one of the characters partake in a quest they get a free quest related bonus. For instance when the characters emerged from the vault they found a settlement called Float City, on the towns bounty board was posted a quest to be the male companion for a female who turned out to be ghoul. So the player who did the deed got the Hindrance/edge called ghoul humper which gave a bonus to talking with female ghouls but a penalty to talking human woman.

My online art portfolio
http://paintedsamurai.deviantart.com/

Black Stag Publishing
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Stag-Publishing/223736847644167?sk=wall
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: