Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blind Martial Artist

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Narr
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Blind Martial Artist Reply with quote

Hey Folks!

I'm running a DLR campaign and have to manage some special characters. My girlfriend want's to play a blind martial artist, who is trained in hearing and sensing other characters movements, so she can - once in melee combat - ignore the penalty for the blind hindrance.

I thought of giving her a Chi Power based on Boost/Lower Trait, which once activated (and maintained), lets her ignore the whole penalty in melee combat. That works only if her enemy is aside. For sensing enemies further away she has to make a notice roll at -2 (or -4?) before she can attack them.

What do you think? Overpowered? Any other suggestions?

thanks & cheers Smile
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about homebrewing an Edge? I'd say one with a requirement of Notice d6+ to allow you to ignore the trait penalty from the Blind Hindrance as regards Fighting rolls.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern Martial Arts has two Edges for ignoring darkness penalties due to other enhanced senses. It even allows a Blind character to take the advanced one at Novice Rank. Not all of the Edges would work with DL, but those might in this instance.

http://realityblurs.com/wordpress/?page_id=981

www.peginc.com
Narr
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know Modern Martial Arts before..
Thanks for this one Clint! Mr. Green
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also go with a modified Hindrance to get what the real impact is. Basically, the character can't read or make out any visual detail, but knows where everything is otherwise, right? You might just go with Blind with no direct combat penalties and no bonus Edge.

But that's just an idle thought. Kick it around before you recognize its inherent genius.

Razz
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpk wrote:
You could also go with a modified Hindrance to get what the real impact is. Basically, the character can't read or make out any visual detail, but knows where everything is otherwise, right? You might just go with Blind with no direct combat penalties and no bonus Edge.

Or Bad Eyes as a Major Hindrance instead of Blind. That's almost exactly the description of the effect above. The character doesn't really suffer any penalties for anything within 5" as their other senses compensate, but beyond that suffers a -2 penalty.

"Blind with training to compensate" just becomes the trapping for Bad Eyes. The character gets it as a Major Hindrance since glasses can't do anything.

www.peginc.com
Narr
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your ideas, but I think I'll stick with Modern Martial Arts

The thing is, her character can't see at all, so if an object like a table is in her way she won't see it, because it doesn't move or make any sound.

It's just her martial arts training, that gave her the ability to hear little sounds like drawing of a weapon, feel the air moving when her enemy turns and combine this informations with combat experience to react with the right action.

So she can't feel or see anything within 5''. She just manages to fight perfectly well if some bad guy happens to stand right next to her. Smile
Harboe
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not entirely unrealistic to fight without impediment in close combat (being a Wing Tsun practitioner, I can testify that vision is largely irrelevant once you're within striking range).
Bad Eyes (Major) would be the easiest way to do it. Or Blind as "just" a Major hindrance, rather than granting an additional Edge.

Personally, I'd just flavour the character as blind (no penalties to my Notice, thankyouverymuch). With superhuman hearing, sense of smell and intuition, melee or even ranged combat simply happens.
Of course, reading and all that would be out of the question.
Chezzo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The thing is, her character can't see at all, so if an object like a table is in her way she won't see it, because it doesn't move or make any sound.

My mother is blind, and also a blind rehab teacher (it's the blind leading the blind!) and she says that inanimate objects make noise when you're outside. It's the wind hitting them or something. She says chain link fences sound different than buildings, etc.

Also, a blind person would usually have their hands out to see if they're gonna whack into anything. That, or a cane.

I grew up with a lot of blind people around my house, and none of them ever ran headlong into a door or anything. It wasn't as slapstick as you would hope.
AtomicTeaspoon
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even stretching into the realm of pulp martial arts, I'd like to think there were situations where a blind warrior would still have trouble. At the very least, they are given a penalty to notice or fighting in loud or poorly accoustic places.
I'm not about punishing people for thinking outside of the box. It's just fun to exploit situations like that.
Poor Wandering One
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day I played a blind sumatori/massause in a bushido game.

It played rather well. In a fight he took full blindness penalities and had some problems but if he got so much as half a finger on you the fight was all over but the screaming.

I would like to bring him back someday in Deadlands or Usagi Yojombo.

As far as the OP. I second Clint on the retrapping of Bad Eyes. I love how flexible SW is. Retrapping edges/hinderences can do so much.

~will
Narr
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I grew up with a lot of blind people around my house, and none of them ever ran headlong into a door or anything. It wasn't as slapstick as you would hope.

It wasn't my intention to let her run into tables and stuff Wink She won't have to make a notice roll to check if she notices things like walls and fences but to see them from a distance she would have to. Also if she wants to see things like if someone is aiming at her or if there's a ladder to climb a roof..

Quote:
It's not entirely unrealistic to fight without impediment in close combat (being a Wing Tsun practitioner, I can testify that vision is largely irrelevant once you're within striking range)

I also do Wing Tsun Kung Fu and that's why I came up with the idea to let her fight in melee with no penalties. But it shurely needs some training to do that and thats why I like the approach with the Modern Martial Arts edges.. With the one free edge from the blind hindrance she would have to get just one aditional to fight without any penalties. Thats a good way to simulate the training she would need to do this stile of fighting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: