Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wild Attack -- Too Powerful?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HawaiianBrian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Wild Attack -- Too Powerful? Reply with quote

It seems like my players always want to wild attack. Getting the +2 to both attack and damage on a melee attack, at the sole trade-off of -2 to Parry, seems a sweet deal to them. I'm inclined to agree. Perhaps if the + to attack were dropped?
BluSponge
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah. Just start throwing Quick and Level Headed villains against them. Wild Attack is only smart if you have a good chance of acting next round before your opponent. If not, there is risk involved, especially when your opponent has a high Toughness rating.

Or have your baddies use the same tactics.

Tom
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Attack -- Too Powerful? Reply with quote

HawaiianBrian wrote:
It seems like my players always want to wild attack. Getting the +2 to both attack and damage on a melee attack, at the sole trade-off of -2 to Parry, seems a sweet deal to them. I'm inclined to agree. Perhaps if the + to attack were dropped?

The "sweet deal" depends on how many might be able to attack them while their Parry is lower.

+2 to attack and damage one person who gets "+2" in return is nice.
+2 to attack and damage one person while three others get "+2" in return, not so much.

Plus, it's a general manuever not a player only ability. Even attacking with one other foe who isn't affected by the attack, but can benefit from the reduced Parry, the foe can Wild Attack in return for an effective +4 to attack and +2 damage (which makes sense to capitalize on the target opening itself up with the first Wild Attack).

That happens a couple of times, and Wild Attack doesn't seem like such a sweet deal anymore (except for the times it is supposed to be).

www.peginc.com
Lord Inar
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think if you just throw in a few more disposable mooks, and have them act on different cards, you'll solve that problem, real quick like!
Best Internet page ever
Bretbo
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Inar wrote:
Yeah, I think if you just throw in a few more disposable mooks, and have them act on different cards, you'll solve that problem, real quick like!

Yep, Wild Attacking then having four enemies Wild Attack you in return with an effective +5 to each mook's roll (+3 Gang Up and +2 Wild Attack) should have players re-thinking their tactics real quick!
The-Explore
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belive it is a good idea to make wild attack most of the time.

If you out number your opponents or are in duel it is a good idea, remember that if you have frenzzy, sweep or two-fisted it migth be a good idea even if you are outnumbered.

Remember that if you shaken or kill an opponent he can't attack you, so wild attack migth turn out to be a defensive advanges as well. This is especially true if you have the lowest card that turn, because you migth get your turn before your opponent in which case you get an offensive and deffensive advanges with no downside. If you have the higher card you migth consider not to use wild attack, because you run the risk that your opponents will get two attacks with +2.

Remember that the -2 parry doesn't effect misslie attack, so if you are against enemies with range attack you should always use wild attack.

Remember that if only one party member makes wild attacks all the monks migth choose to attack him, so it works better if everybody use it.

If you have a parry of 8 and your opponent have d8 in fighting you triple his chances for hitting you if you make a wild attack, so if your opponent must ace to hit you, it migth be a bad idea to wild attack, but than again he could just wild attack himeself and triple his chances anyway plus get the boost to damage so you migth aswell have made a wild attack before, he get his turn.

In short because PC often are outnumbered they migth not make wild attack all the time and if the GM begins to let all the NPCs use wild attack he migth kill the PC's to fast. or he could say that you have to choose between the bonus damage and the bonus to hit and than use it himself when he feels it is appropriate.
FoxBlue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Sundered skies our party's wildling songpriest has recently acquired the berserk edge through an artifact. Apparently wild attacking and going berserk simultaneously is an acceptable alternative to 2 weapon fighting training. The character always managed to eliminate their target and moved out of enemy range after doing so, counter attacking wasn't much of an option.

It was supposed to be a bloodbath in favor of the PCs, so I didn't mind and it was fun seeing the character out of their usual role.

Drew.
Lord Lance
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Wild Attack -- Too Powerful? Reply with quote

HawaiianBrian wrote:

Me too thinks that the Wild Attack manoeuvre is slightly overpowered, especially when you have the PCs party VS a single "moster" ... However the REAL Wild Attack killer is the First Strike in return!!! Give First Strike to a couple of enemies, and your players will start to cool down ^_______^
Poor Wandering One
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The-Explore wrote:
I belive it is a good idea to make wild attack most of the time.
<snip>
Remember that if you shaken ...he can't attack you

Be careful here. You can't count on that shaken preventing an attack. GM have those nasty bennies for just such an occasion.
Dylan S
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a problem. Sure, it might not smack of fairness if the players are all wild attacking a single "boss" monster. On the other hand, there have been times when I've thrown a baker's dozen extras at the PCs and had them all wild-attack the players every round. That also might not seem fair in the moment, because unlike the players, I can afford to throw away those extras' lives. I believe that if the GM varies situations often enough, then all these little wrinkles even out. Especially in a game like SW where the good guys and the bad guys are cut from the same cloth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: