Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOE: Psyker Force Field and Armor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordMagnusX
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: HOE: Psyker Force Field and Armor Reply with quote

Has anybody run across an official ruling on how to stack force field and AV?

I have a psyker in my posse who just got this and he also runs around in AV2 armor. If I lower the dice per the normal AV rules and do it prior to the damage hitting the field, it would make most stuff bounce off easily. I'm unsure how you would be able to apply AV after the FF has already done it's bit though. I am leaning toward a house rule that when stacking with the FF his AV takes off 1/2 of whatever the die type is per AV point (i.e. 2d6 would drop 6 points of damage as if it were -6 instead), but that doesn't really work the way I want it to.

Any ideas?
Edivdrone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say play it exactly as the rules read. The armor he wears reduces damage by being hard to punch through, while the force field works by inhibiting the kinetic energy of the round. If you are really worried about the character becoming unkillable, start throwing critters like Mind Biters, voracepedes, Doomsayers(or Doombringers), etc., at the character. In short, make it so his armor isn't as effective. If you are feeling really vindictive, take his armor from him/her. Burn it, have it stolen; get creative. It will make the next set of armor the character obtains seem even more valuable.
Evangelos
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving your gun-toting bad guys some armor-piercing ammo is an easy solution. You wouldn't want to do it all the time, but it can negate some or all of his armor and the leftovers are good loot for the posse.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just AP:1 will negate his Force Field entirely.

www.peginc.com
Edivdrone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. Does AP:1 also negate the effects of the Blessed Miracle Armor of Righteousness?
Evangelos
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any AP completely blows through Light Armor of any kind; Light Armor is totally ineffective against AP rounds or weapons.

I can perhaps think of some cases where you would want to make some exceptions -- such as if a Blessed aced his Faith roll really high and got a huge amount of armor (like say -40, which happened to us once), but by the rules AP 1 would even blow through all of that and do full damage.
LordMagnusX
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered the AP thing, but I wasn't sure if a field was a special case. We haven't been playing for very long so the posse isn't that powerful yet, but this character tends to spend lots of fate chips on his FF roll. His last one ended up around -30. I may just have it work as stated, but if he aces the roll or spends a chunk of fate chips, bump it to AV 1 for that time.
summand
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I houseruled that Forcefield goes both ways, because it completely envelops the character and all his items. So, incoming and outgoing damage are diminished.

So, while he is well protected, he cannot do a lot, no shooting, no brainblasts.

Otherwise, we simply subtract the forcefield from the damage the character gets, even if it is a whooping 35 he once rolled...
L3ster
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used -10 Negated per 1Ap cos it have to have some stopping power.

Imagine FF -100 And someone shoots at u 2d4 AP1 round and NO EFFECT!!

So 1Ap per -10 Works just fine
Solostarian
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L3ster wrote:
We have used -10 Negated per 1Ap cos it have to have some stopping power.

Imagine FF -100 And someone shoots at u 2d4 AP1 round and NO EFFECT!!

So 1Ap per -10 Works just fine

Yup I agree, mostly because lets face it, the rules posted in Waste Warriors I interpreted as talking about non-magical scenarios. Otherwise Force Field becomes mostly useless in a good deal of situations dealing with combatants with modern weapons. Though since there is no real literature about this sort of thing, it's really something you have to feel out with some play testing and your style of gaming. If all else fails you can just stick with what’s in the book, but I'd say just throw that stuff right out if it were me. It is all a question of scale not necessary about being broken or over powered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: