Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Initiative in Savage Worlds
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tartenpion
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: The Initiative in Savage Worlds Reply with quote

Hello everybody !

The first rule about the initiative in Savage Worlds is with deck cards.

But I know that there are alternative rules about the initiative.

One with a D12 and one with the Agility Tests. And I don't find these rules in the Savage Worlds Explorer Edition. If you know these alternative rules do you agree to give me it?

Thank you very much

Tartenpion
kreider204
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those are just house rules. Those who use them might chime in. A couple of possibilities I can imagine:

1) roll Agility die
2) roll d12 and add Agility die type
shadd4d
Legendary

Location: Charlottesville, VA...I miss Deutschland and Chicago.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The really old rules (1st Printing) had use a d20 to get initiative with a 20 having the effects of a Joker. The problem with this (and what is really great about the card system) is that there will be ties (not in the card system).

Personally, I recommend using cards like normal.

"But there is a difference between fear and horror. An important difference.
Fear is when you worry about what might be.
Horror is when you are certain." Dannyboy01
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadd4d wrote:
The really old rules (1st Printing) had use a d20 to get initiative with a 20 having the effects of a Joker. The problem with this (and what is really great about the card system) is that there will be ties (not in the card system).

Actually, the original option used a d12, making ties (and Jokers!) more common. The d20 version was an alternative I proposed on the forums later.

Basically, roll a d20 for initiative instead of drawing cards. Edges work basically the same way except Level-Headed (or Improved) allows roll 2 or 3 dice and taking the best, and Quick allows rerolls on a 5 or less.

It's not nearly as visual as the card system, but since players don't use d20s for anything else in the system, they can roll and leave the die in front of them to note when they go. And a 20 counts as a Joker.

www.peginc.com
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Basically, roll a d20 for initiative instead of drawing cards. Edges work basically the same way except Level-Headed (or Improved) allows roll 2 or 3 dice and taking the best, and Quick allows rerolls on a 5 or less.

This is basically what I had to do for an online mostly-text-based Savage Worlds campaign, since we had a die-roller program rigged up, but a card-based initiative program would have been more complicated to put together, with little in the way of payoff. (We wouldn't benefit from the tactile nature of having a card in hand, anyway.) To reduce the chance of ties, since we were playing with "electronic" dice anyway, we just upped it to "percentile dice," and changed the ranges for Quick and for Jokers accordingly. I still prefer using cards when I get the chance, but given the peculiar gaming environment, it sufficed.
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a little more fiddly, but you could roll Agility + Smarts as a fixed roll (no Wild Die). Quick gives you +2; Level-Headed gives you a re-roll. If the high roller has a raise over the second highest, they gain the Joker effect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CAM
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I don't like the card system either. No sure why, but it just feels out of place for me - most will disagree however, and feel it is very much "in place' for Savage Worlds.

I've been using the D20 + Agility rules that Clint explained above, and this seems to have worked well for most of our sessions. I recommend doing that if you don't want to try the card system.
Winsling
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Blessing wrote:
This is a little more fiddly, but you could roll Agility + Smarts as a fixed roll (no Wild Die). Quick gives you +2; Level-Headed gives you a re-roll. If the high roller has a raise over the second highest, they gain the Joker effect.
The problem is how that variant would interact with the edges that take effect (which I can never remember the names of) when you draw a joker. If multiple people in the party want a joker under the current system, it's more or less even. If multiple people want one under your modification, it's likely nobody would get one.
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winsling wrote:
Ron Blessing wrote:
The problem is how that variant would interact with the edges that take effect (which I can never remember the names of) when you draw a joker. If multiple people in the party want a joker under the current system, it's more or less even. If multiple people want one under your modification, it's likely nobody would get one.

First off, this came off the top of my head, so this is all conjecture. That said, it seems to me it won't be uncommon for #1 initiative to be 4 higher than #2, so I'd bet the Joker effect would happen more, rather than never. But it would need to be tested to prove it. I'm sure it could be mathed out, too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
77IM
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea: For initiative, you roll a d12. This can Ace, and if you get 20+, it counts as a Joker. This has roughly the same probability as drawing a Joker from a deck of cards. Edges work the same as Clint's d20 idea.

-- 77IM
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

77IM wrote:
Another idea: For initiative, you roll a d12. This can Ace, and if you get 20+, it counts as a Joker. This has roughly the same probability as drawing a Joker from a deck of cards. Edges work the same as Clint's d20 idea.

-- 77IM

I suppose ... but drawing cards is cool ... you can't compete with that! Pulling a Joker or an Ace at a critical moment is almost worthy of applause ... rolling a d12, acing and then rolling almost another ace is noteworthy at best. Just my opinion but there you have it.

And another thing is ties = another roll off.

And what if there are effectively 2+ Jokers in play at the same time because of lucky dice rolls ... then more dice-offs.

If you have Quick you re-roll rolls of 5 or less. With Level-headed you roll twice and keep the best ... just adds a lot more dice-rolling when you could just draw a card. Rolling is simply not F!F!F!

If you don't have a deck of cards then fine ... roll away. If you have a deck of cards just "DRAW!"
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takeda wrote:
If you have a deck of cards just "DRAW!"

I'm with you on this. I've found faster methods of doing initiative in RPGs, but this is by far the most fun.
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto! And I've played a massive amount of RPG's in the last 30 years ...
Supernatural Quotes
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

77IM wrote:

Gets a bit tricky with Quick as the odds of drawing a 5 or less is a bit different from rolling a 5 or less on a d12.

Maybe another idea would be to use a single d6, and if it aces twice (for a 12+), the character acts as if they have the joker.

Quick allows rerolls on a 1-2, and Level-Headed additional dice.

www.peginc.com
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an old favorite (OD&D). Each side rolls a d6. The high roll goes first, meaning the players can put together team tactics. Then throw initiative-based Edges out. Very Happy
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
77IM wrote:

Gets a bit tricky with Quick as the odds of drawing a 5 or less is a bit different from rolling a 5 or less on a d12.

Maybe another idea would be to use a single d6, and if it aces twice (for a 12+), the character acts as if they have the joker.

Quick allows rerolls on a 1-2, and Level-Headed additional dice.

That's a good and FFF alternative!
Supernatural Quotes
Magnus
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Blessing wrote:
Here's an old favorite (OD&D). Each side rolls a d6. The high roll goes first, meaning the players can put together team tactics. Then throw initiative-based Edges out. Very Happy

Hold on! Rules that old belong in a museum... Next thing you know you don't get a Notice roll before putting your hand in the dark hole and touching the sphere of annihilation...
77IM
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
77IM wrote:

True, but that is also true of the d20 idea. For d12, if you let Quick reroll on a 4 or less, the odds are about the same. For d20, you could let Quick reroll on a 6 or less.

Takeda wrote:
I suppose ... but drawing cards is cool ... you can't compete with that!

Totally agree! I was a big skeptic about the cards, but it turns out it works really well, and now I really miss it in other systems.

But the OP asked for ideas and I cannot resist when asked for ideas. ;}

-- 77IM
Poor Wandering One
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT
Sphere of Annihilation
Bolt 3x3d10 HW. No range. Target must be killed or there is no effect what so ever. If the target is killed the body and all it's gear is forever destroyed.

Back to the topic.
I LOVE the cards. They are easy to use. Very visual and you can do lovely things with them. I was running a modern supernatural game where the players were fighting a tarot based demon called the Ten of Swords. The demon had a number of things it could do every turn so I decided to use the deck to decide. Without the players knowledge I pulled the clubs out of the deck replacing them with more spades. I used the number of spades drawn in a round to decide what the demon did. It worked out quite well. The players caught on after a round or so and began to get into it. At one point the player with level headed chose to go with a lower card in an attempt to influence the demon by putting another spade in play. You could never do this kind of things with dice.

~will
Atomic Scotsman
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
For some reason I don't like the card system either. No sure why, but it just feels out of place for me - most will disagree however, and feel it is very much "in place' for Savage Worlds.

The first time I read through SWEX and got to the card system my first though was: "Damn that's stupid. It has to go."

But I think it's one of my favorite parts of the game now that I've actually used it. I even went so far as to buy a "fancy" deck of cards at the drug store made of some weird vinyl.

I like to mess with my PLayer's heads by randomly picking the deck up and shuffling it. Makes them think something bad is about to happen. Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: