Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[SPC] Altered Form and grappling.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bewildered Badger
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: [SPC] Altered Form and grappling. Reply with quote

If you wished to create a Mr Fantastic or Plasticman type hero, obviously you'd use the Altered Form power. Such characters often restrain their foes by grappling, wrapping right round to immobilise them.

So it seems odd that the rules as written don't give AF heroes any benefit when grappling. Now you could take the Ensnare power with the trapping 'must remain in physical contact with the target' , but this seems unsatisfactory. Quite apart from limiting the hero's own movement, the hero's own strength and agility would have no bearing on the results.

I was wondering then what sort of benefits would be appropriate, and how much they would cost.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: [SPC] Altered Form and grappling. Reply with quote

Bewildered Badger wrote:
So it seems odd that the rules as written don't give AF heroes any benefit when grappling. Now you could take the Ensnare power with the trapping 'must remain in physical contact with the target' , but this seems unsatisfactory. Quite apart from limiting the hero's own movement, the hero's own strength and agility would have no bearing on the results.

Not sure I undertand. If the trapping can be changed to require remaining in physical contact, then it should also have some benefit to balance that out. I think it would fit just fine to make that benefit, "Instead of a standard roll to escape, the target makes an opposed roll versus the character's Agility or Strength."

Bewildered Badger wrote:
I was wondering then what sort of benefits would be appropriate, and how much they would cost.

If you wanted an alternate way to handle it, then you could add a simple Modifier to Altered Form...

Binding/Constricting (+1/+2): Physical forms only. The character may trade his Reach for a bonus to grapple an opponent. At the base +1 Modifier, each point of Reach may be traded for an equivalent bonus to Strength or Agility to maintain a grapple or attempt to damage the target (but not to the damage roll itself). If the character has this power at the +2 level, he may constrict a grappled target and gains the same bonus to grappling damage rolls as well.

Anyway, different options; hope that helps.

www.peginc.com
Bewildered Badger
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, both of those ideas make sense. I think I prefer the latter, adding a modifier to Altered Form seems more sensible than buying Ensnare as a new power.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: